2 or 4 surrounds?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Barry_NJ, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

So currently my system is 4.0. I have a phantom center, LFE is routed to the mains, and I have 2 rear/surround speakers. I'm wondering if I'll get more/better dimensionality by adding some side surround speakers. They'd be placed about ear level where the little cubes with a "?" indicate. Also, when the couch is full, I center it in the room so no one is sitting against the wall ;-)

48251249362_a8edf05cdd_o.png
    media_room by Barry, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

In my not at all humble opinion, you'll get much more bang for your buck by adding a center channel and a subwoofer.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Troof.

DYohn and Barry_NJ like this.
  4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Many people say the center is the most important speaker, but that is only true if you don't sit in the sweet-spot. If you do, the center is unnecessary, your L&R will place the center sound correctly with no problem.
    A sub, on the other hand, is mostly a must, although I don't know what L&Rs you have, but very few have the capability of a good sub (unless they have an integrated sub themelves ...)
    Would you be doing 7.1, or just sending the same sound to the additional surrounds as the regular ones?

Barry_NJ likes this.
  5. Barry_NJ

Well, I do have a sub amp driving the second voice coil of my Gallo Ref 3.5 woofers, and I can literally, feel it in my chest, and shake the floor above, with bass sounds/notes as it sits, so not sure I "need" a sub. The imaging is also really good, no trouble locating or clearly hearing dialog. Surround is also pretty decent currently. I think what I really want is some Atmos speakers, but my current processor blue-ray set up wont decode that any way, it will however decode DTS HD and Dolby True HD so it's good for 7.1

Front speakers are Gallo Ref 3.5, rears are Gallo Ref Strada. If I add the additional surrounds, I'd probably replace the Strada with a pair of Optimus 7s, and a pair of Optimus 77 for the sides.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Mikael Soderholm likes this.
  6. carlthess50

carlthess50 New Member

A center speaker makes a world of difference with music and movies.
    I have two and only use one at a time
    One of mine is a large Yamaha pro line speaker and the sweet spot is very wide because of the 22” wide horn for mids and highs and I just placed a svsound center on top of the Yamaha and I switch between the two
    545c97dfaddb39d8ba4652883fc90b2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denton likes this.
  7. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Totally agree, no need for a separate sub.
    Nice setup, some serious gear right there :).
    Having only 5.1 myself, I can't say what the difference is with 7.1, and as I don't have the room, I haven't really thought about it.
    In your case however, it might be nice, is there a way you can test before you buy?

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

So forget center and sub if that is your preference. No question you will see a big difference in sound coming from the sides in addition to, or instead of, rear. I wonder if you’ve ever just taken those rears down and set them up as sides to see what you think.

Barry_NJ and jasn like this.
  9. Barry_NJ

I suppose my biggest hesitation at the moment revolves around putting holes in the walls to hang the speakers :blush:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  10. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Why not get small surrounds and put them on a shelf on the media racks? Just a thought (no holes necessary). I have a bunch of systems. Watch lots of Netflix in the bedroom system which has 5 in ceilings (92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling) and a couple of subs. I have a 4.1 system in the upstairs bonus room. My 4K HT is Atmos capable and has in ceilings in the rear and side surrounds and the main system is 11 channels (plus the sub) with in ceiling Atmos speakers in the rear and height channels above the mains.

11. Barry_NJ

I have small surrounds to use, but there are no shelves to the left/rear of the seating location. So I could do that on the right side, just not the left. I may see if I can get some stands of the proper height to try them out.

12. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Easy quick and removable mounting method is to screw a good eye hook or two into the ceiling and hang the surrounds...

13. Barry_NJ

Hmmm... This gives me an idea. Maybe I'll put up some picture rail to hang them from, then there are no holes in the wall or ceiling.

14. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I would say if the room isn't ideal for a "to the specs" surround setup then I wouldn't bother going with 4 and just do two.

15. Barry_NJ

I think I can do "To the Specs" for placement of the 6(?)

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Agreed

DYohn likes this.
  17. Barry_NJ

Well, I pulled the trigger and put mollies in the walls to hang the speakers, and I'm glad I did. It truly expanded the surround envelopment. Now to figure out if I can get another set of Gallo Strada, or possibly tame some of the brightness of these old Optimus speakers. Maybe a cap change(?)

18. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Perhaps just partially cover the tweeters (e.g. bottom half or a bit more) with a drop of stick on felt or get non-stick on felt and use something like Museum Putty (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJU290/?tag=homthelou-20) which can be easily removed.

Barry_NJ and carlthess50 like this.
  19. Barry_NJ

That is an option that crossed my mind, there are also numerous articles/posts on the web about upgrading the crossovers in these things that I'm looking into. Could also add a resistor in parallel to the tweeter. I'm doing a bunch of reading ;-)