4K TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by GHilinski, Mar 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

Stopped by my local brick and mortar place and saw the Sony 4k 70 inch screen. Wow was it clear. I know it was a demo loop but it was shockingly crisp and clear with fantastic color saturation. Wife was blown away but when you begin to get into content, not much there. I'll wait a but but was very impressed.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Look on Youtube. There is some 4 and 5 K content there...give it a watch on any good HD TV or projector and I think you'll come away impressed as well. There's no doubt that 4K is an improvement but quality video material will look good regardless.

3. GHilinski

I have to bite the bullet and map it out at some point. Splitting the baby is going to be a bitch but I am going to have to do it at some point. ug…..

4. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Near the end of 2015, Blu Ray 4 K will arrive. I think Netflix has some 4K content as well. 4K is for big screens, 65" plus to get the best effect. Have you seen an LG OLED yet? Talk about being blown away!!

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I always seem to see the really bad "soap opera" effect on these 4K demo loops. Yeah its sharp but it looks super fake.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I watched a few of these on my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 a few weeks ago. It has an Amoled display and the videos look incredible, until an Orb Weaver Spider popped up on the screen. The videos showcasing Dubai are great.

8. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I can imagine - just watched it on the PC monitor

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Blu Ray 4k will require a new receiver amongst other things to make it work. It's part of a new HDMI standard I mentioned in the receiver thread I started.

10. claud

Is that just for the video?

11. Phil A

Right now Blu-Ray is capable of 8 channels of full resolution sound. I'd guess with Dobly Atomos and DTS:X having overhead channels they would adopt a standard that provides for it. Have not followed it. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Have one room with in-ceiling surrounds that I could use for overhead channels by easily adding side surrounds. Have in-ceiling ready to be installed in the main room. I could do it in more rooms but don't see the need at this point.

12. Phil A

13. Phil A

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

Nope. HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 will be required at a minimum on all devices. The current batch of receivers that just came out and claim HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support are lying. The hardware itself isn't up to spec yet. We won't see audio/video equipment will the full spec HDMI 2.0 until this year.

15. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Does HDMI 2.0 do 4K @ 60, or only 30Hz? I've been looking at SDI to HDMI converters for work, and the only devices that claim to support 4Kp60 use DisplayPort.

16. Phil A

17. claud

Thanks guys. Don't matter at this point anyway. 4K needs a few years to mature.

18. GHilinski

I liked it until understanding how much new gear will be needed. I'll stick with my old stuff.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

Such is life with any new format

20. Phil A

I agree. Next year is the first year it will be ready for prime time (had a non-audiophile friend ask me a couple of months and he wanted a TV and I told him to wait a year at a minimum) and prices will come down after that. Even when I get a receiver with the new audio formats, I'm waiting until I can get a factory refurb from accessories4less.com. Learned quite a bit back that new digital and new video stuff comes at a big premium price wise and the technology changes much faster.