A Supreme Travesty!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jack Keck, Nov 6, 2019 at 9:30 PM.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

OK, so I decided to investigate streaming services for listening to music. I have tried Spotify and Amazon Music HD. Amazon won, but that’s water over the dam.

As I was perusing what is available, I checked out what they had for one of my, and I hope your, favorite artists, Captain Beefheart. It is probably a huge benefit to mankind that I could not find UCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED or BLUE JEANS AND MOONBEAMS. It bothered me that STRICTLY PERSONAL isn’t available, but the TRAVESTY OF ALL POSSIBLE TRAVESTIES is that TROUT MASK REPLICA is not available on either of these services.

Something must be done to address this horrendous oversight, and I mean NOW!

Denton likes this.
  2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Unfortunately the state of music today is not what it used to be. This article, at least to me, is an eye opener for what some consider to be good music in recent times - The 100 Best Albums of the 2010s - VICE

Jack Keck likes this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Buy and keep physical media. Rip to hard drive ( ssd) keep back ups. Somebody somewhere decides what to keep & it’s not what everybody will agree upon.

Denton likes this.
  4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I think I've heard of about a dozen of these "artists". I've seen two of them, Sturgis Simpson and Kacey Musgraves on TV. I have one of Ms. Musgraves's Christmas CDs. I don't have ANY of the CDs on this list. In short, I see your point.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I have started my streaming journey within the last month, so I still have all of my CDs, including the four mintioned in my OP, but your advice is good and I thank you for it.

6. Phil A

I just downloaded a 24/96 album (Satchmo Plays King Oliver). Sent a friend the CD link on Amazon (as he has HD on trial) and he found in in 24/96. CD has been on my wish list for quite a while. A few years back Acoustics Sounds site indicated it was coming soon to SACD. It remained with that coming soon notation for a couple of year before going away. I heard the album many moons ago (on vinyl) at an audio get together. The guy had 200 amp electrical service just for the audio system (ten 20 amp breakers with one receptable with 6 of those with some insanely expensive conditioners before the wire made its way to the receptacle). He had a one-of-a-kind (they may have made one or two pairs) of VMPS speakers he got at a CES show and arranged to have them shipped back to Maryland. I forgot if the speakers were biamped or triamped. I know he had Parasound 400W mono blocks on the woofers (pic of the guys system is below). The imaging and dynamics of 'The St. James Infirmary' blew me away. So I asked my friend who has Amazon HD to look for it and they have it on 24/96. So I'll probably go over there on Sunday and see how the streaming compares to the 24/96 file. I've heard his system with the streaming and this will be a good test of how good it is.
    Avoosi.jpg

Jack Keck likes this.
  7. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

"Streaming is for kids." ;)

8. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

Hey! I've never claimed to be mature. In fact, I consider the term an insult!

Denton, Phil A, Kevin and 1 other person like this.
  9. Phil A

I can tell you that on my friend's system (Reference 3A Taxim speakers, Copland preamp, Pass Labs XA25 amp, PS Audio Direct Stream Jr. DAC) that Amazon sounds good but not as good as using the small fanless PC (was around $169) I set-up for him using JRiver (files played back from memory on the PC). Listened to a bunch of things, CD quality and above. Perhaps if Amazon opens up their service to work with the driver for one's DAC it might help a bit. I'll probably get back to his place and see if I can do some tweaks to improve it. He told me he probably won't keep Amazon if they don't fix the issue. Per what I've read on various forums (e.g. Streamer for Amazon music HD) it seems to be of concern to many. I guess if someone is an audiophile and streaming is their main source of music, it would be a concern. Many people feel that Amazon will fix the issue. It definitely seems that a good way to sample lots of music.