Ahem - JVC D-ILA 1080p projector and 114" Carada screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by DustinDavis, Oct 11, 2016.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Well, it's been quite a while since a significant upgrade for me. The last time I really had a hardware upgrade was when I moved into a new home back in 2007. That home had a media room, so I added a JVC D-ILA 1080p projector, a 114" Carada screen, and...not much else as I was pretty set from a hardware standpoint. The last significant improvement for me was replacing a broken Behringer Feedback Destroyer and doing a proper calibration with the RoomEQ tool when I did. Well now here is the ahem:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hm, I don't know why the image of the equipment room wants to post sideways. Anyhoo. The room is 20'D x 16'W x 10'H. We negotiated the seats with the home purchase; they are great but they do not recline. There is a lot I like about the room and I am really looking forward to investing the time and energy (did I forget money?) into improving it. I haven't got anything hooked up yet, though. I can already tell some of the things that need work:

• Current speakers are Dynaudio floor standing mains. The tweeters on these are below the woofers, which means for the first row of seats, they're at about knee level; second row, foot level.
    • The screen position is not helping, as it forces the center channel very low, when then needs to be angled high toward the listeners.
    • That lightswitch at the front, and the fact that the door opens inward, sure is stealing space that I could use for a larger screen or wider speaker placement.
    • The projector will be not too far over a back-row viewer's head.

So here are some things I've been thinking:

• New speakers. Move away from floorstanders, I don't think I can get them to the correct height unless they were 6 feet tall. I'm thinking about on-walls, even. Maybe something from Totem, e.g. on-wall mains mounted to the immediate left and right of the screen.
    • It is going to be very hard to say goodbye to Dynaudio. I wonder if anything can match the sweet smooth sound of my current setup. Gosh I love these speakers. Anybody with experience selling on Audiogon or elsewhere?
    • More speakers. I currently have a 7.1 setup. To that I'm thinking an additional pair of side surrounds, and maybe even a pair above for Dolby Atmos. Surrounds should rise up as one moves toward the back wall.
    • Raise the screen up. 8" - 12", making room for a higher center mount.
    • Alternately, leave the screen where it is and mount the center over the screen. Which might not be so bad if I keep the mains high, and mount all the surrounds approximately where the side walls meet the ceiling, which is just below the top of the screen.
    • New pre-amp. My B&K Ref 50 was good in its day. I'm just tired of not having more advanced features. One of the main problems is no HDMI switching, so I am forced to use external switches. Just kind of a pain to implement. Also the Ref 50 only handles up to 7.1 so I'd have to have something else if I added channels. Thinking the Marantz AV7703 looks pretty sweet.
    • New amplification. I have an ATI 1807 now. 7 channels, 270 WPC into 4 ohms. I don't think I'd replace this, just add more of the same for the new speakers.

Well, I have other ideas but those are the big ones, from an impact and budget standpoint. Sure would be nice to get some funds back from my Dynaudios; they are still in near-mint condition and I have the original packaging for them all. Interested in hearing ideas from the group.

Attached Files:

2. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Very nice! Photos like that make me wish my house was built to allow it. And dang, I have an unused feedback destroyer I'd let go cheap. Oh well, maybe craigslist. Agree about the Ref 50, but mine still works and sounds good, so it stays. 5.1 is enough for me. One thing, something I've learned the hard way over the years, if you like your speakers, keep them and work around it. After I got my Vienna's I ended up selling my perfectly good Paradigm center and replacing it with a matching Vienna.

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I'd give my right arm for those seats. Nice!

4. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

Very nice. I could only get six seats in. The extra 2 seats make all the difference.

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Love the on topic thread... A few rambling thoughts.

1) Any reason why the FIRST row is also on a riser and are you willing or able to do anything about that? It seems odd and is clearly impacting your front speaker choices.

2) Any chance to do in-wall speakers? I think if you could get the L/C/R in-wall then you could do the surrounds in ceiling with pretty good effect. I find on-wall to be a bit of a bastard child personally. The cabinets usually end up being too small, especially in the depth dimension. This will limit the basket depth and magnet size of the woofer inherently.

3) If not for the height issue, would you get rid of your current speakers? Are you wanting a change regardless?

4) Is there any factor for stereo audio here or is this strictly a home theater room?

5) What are you running for a sub(s)?

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

I've only got a touch over 11' width to work with and would love to have 16'.

I'll echo CJ's first question (wonder if it might be to get more tactile feedback from the subs if it's on a concrete floor) and add to his.

6) Where is the room situated in the house? Do you need both entrances? Do you wish the room was sound proofed to allow watching at any time at any volume?

7) Have you thought about a screen wall and doing an acoustically transparent screen? Would also let you hide some subs at the front?

8) Masking system for the screen?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  7. DustinDavis

1. It's occurred to me. Also occurred to me because let's say I wanted the kids to do something with the Kinect. They have to either stand right in front of the seats on the small area in front of the riser, or stand in front of the riser, which is really too close to the screen and forces your head in the way of the image from the projector.

2. I suppose there is nothing stopping me from doing in-walls. I assumed the performance would be even worse than on-walls. Are you thinking in-walls for the mains?

3. I doubt it. Which makes me think I need to look at option #1 more carefully.

4. If I listen to music it is not critical listening. So it is pretty much home theater.

5. Paradigm PW-2200.

8. DustinDavis

Hey, very good job following a numbering scheme, makes this easier.

6. It is upstairs, in a corner next to the game room. There is only one entrance. If you are facing the screen, it is to the left of the left main speaker. In the back left the double doors are to the equipment closet.

7. No, a screen wall never occurred to me. I don't feel compelled to hide equipment for aesthetic reasons. As long as it is not in the way of some other function, e.g. opening a door, playing Kinect, watching or listening.

8. No, I'm happy with the screen being up all the time. It's a single-use room after all, with the main purpose being to watch stuff on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  9. DustinDavis

1. Have to say, I wonder if eliminating the riser for the front row is the best solution. Might be the most economical as well. I'd just need to get my hands on another pair of Contour SRs.

2. On the other hand I'm actually starting to think that on-wall is the way to go no matter what, to recover the floor space. Another thought on in-walls...there is a bathroom behind the front wall, most likely with all manner of plumbing in the wall as well. Could get complicated.

10. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I actually do think in-walls are better because there are a lot of good options. True on-walls are more rare. Case in point, your current speaker maker does in-walls but doesn't make any on-walls. They have some bookshelf speakers but you can tell by the depth they're not really meant to be on-wall. I can empathize with the floor space issue. The entrance to my room is at the front left and there's no cost effective way to change that. It would require thousands of dollars of drywall and carpet work even to rotate the setup let alone to actually change the room which would be completely off the table. I have pretty nice gear. When I muse about winning the lottery, its the room that I dream about, not the gear.

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

By masking I didn't mean to hide the screen. I mean to mask it to the proper aspect ratio.

12. DustinDavis

Ah, I see. Also a neat thing but probably not at the top of my priority list. Besides I think most of our viewing is 16 x 9 HDTV.

13. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Mounting your speaker up off of the floor while raising your screen is going to help.
    Yes, it's not the 'best' solution. But workable. DIY, get the usual Baffle step Removed or mitigated
    with a new XO will help...adding some acoustic panels on the font wall will help.

You have some great potential....good luck.

14. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

Very nice. I set ups my friends system with four in walls B&W's and a stand alone center. They really sounded nice and we painted the grills so you did not even notice them in the walls.

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

In walls are fine for a movie set up. I also really really like what ATMOS has done in my room even when running in an upconverstion mode.

16. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

That's good to hear as I'm toying with an installation this winter. How far did you go (how many extra channels?)

17. Andrew Pratt

I'm running 2 in ceiling speakers just ahead of my couch in addition to the 5 identical Boston bookshelf speakers I have arranged in a typical 5.1 setup. The two rears are behind the couch are at ear level and there are 3 front speakers behind the projection screen. If I play a true ATMOS demo track it fully utilizes the above speakers to add height. When I run those same demo tracks through Plex on the AppleTV which doesn't pass ATMOS my AVR upconverts the signal and it sounds almost as good but you can hear a difference as the separation isn't quite as defined. That said unless you A-B them back to back most people wouldn't notice and I do find the added height dimension adds more than it takes away for all material.

18. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm considering: a pair of in-ceilings above the mains as height channels. Good to hear that it is effective.

19. Andrew Pratt

David this picture is now a bit old but you can see the in ceiling speakers in relation to the front screen wall.

Attached Files:

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'd probably move to an all in wall setup for Atmos. Then swap the Pre for something like the Anthem or Marantz.