Ahem LG G7 One

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Dustin B, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

In checking what I was going to owe extra after my trip to the US on my cell bill they popped up an offer to get $150 in bill credits if I upgraded my phone. Had an LG G6. Looked through their list of phones and spied the G7 One listed at $0 with a Tab medium that adds $15 a month to your bill for 2 years. Knew there was a G7 Thinq that was the successor to the G6 I had. Little research and the G7 One is a G7 Thinq that was slight stripped down (no wireless charging, no wide angle extra lens, 835 snap dragon instead of 845 but step up from my current 825) and part of the Android One program. After I sell the G6 it should end up costing less than $100 for the upgrade. The stock android alone is worth that and the better processor and brand new battery are nice bonuses. I should be good for another 18-24 months or more now.

And when I picked it up they had an in store plan only. $3 less than I was paying for 8gig instead of 5 gig of data. Never come close to the 5 but I'll take the lower bill.

Ordered the case and screen protector on Thursday when I bought it. So no sim in it yet and staying at my house until I get it protected. It's almost completely setup and ready to go though for when they do show. Minor upgrade but I'm pretty happy with it and stock Android 9 over the LG version 8.0 so far.

2. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Congrats. I've become spoiled with the Nexus phones, I'd have a hard time going back to a non-stock UI. I'm not familiar with LG's UI but I've played with my family members' Samsung phones, it's gotten a lot better from where it started, but it's still not the same.

3. Dustin B

LG was pretty light on the changes in Oreo. It was mostly some editing of the system menus and a few bloat apps you couldn't uninstall but weren't forced to use. It's still on 8.0 though and when you did get an update their servers were painfully slow (literally hours to download an update). I was also running Nova Launcher, I've dropped that to try straight Pie.

Still rocking a Nexus, which one? The 6 is over 4 years old now. I really wish they'd continued with the Nexus line. But I guess they figured offering a high value line would eat into Pixel sales too much. Several reviewers have called the G7 One the next Nexus 5

4. Dustin B

So far I'm really happy. More of an upgrade then I expected. Noticeably snappier, significantly better battery life (combination of stock Pie and 835 processor I think), and I'm really liking some of the new Pie interface changes.