Ahem....

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Andrew Pratt, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I haven't changed my AV gear in years but this Christmas will see some fairly major upgrades as I've got a new AppleTV 4K sitting under the tree, and I just ordered a new 110" screen and BenQ 2050A projector. The ATV 4K gets me ATMOS support for Netflix which will be nice to have. I have a BenQ W1000 projector now projecting onto a 106" acoustically transparent screen but I've found the course weave on the AT screen doesn't help resolution and given the way I built my front false wall I can easily move the speakers around the screen. I have been wanting a projector with deeper black levels for awhile and the prices at the moment seems really decent with various sales and coupons (Newegg). The new screen is also pure white so it should be brighter as well....not that I need it as I have full light control but if I do 3D it will help. The 2050A was a difficult choice as I was originally thinking I'd pony up for one of the 4K pixel shifting units but the reviews aren't stellar and I'm not sure they're worth the added cost at this time over a solid 1080P unit. There's an Optoma HD27HDR 1080P model with HDR that might be really interesting but there aren't any professional reviews yet and AVS has conflicting reports from people that have bought one, where as I know everyone raves about the 2050A.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Dan S., Jack Keck, jasn and 3 others like this.
  2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Your new Christmas presents rock!

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  3. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Looks like you will be having some fun with it. Enjoy the new gear!

4. Eric

Eric Active Member

Woah! A post about HT gear!

Congrats!

We’ve been in the house in California for a year and a half and I haven’t set up anything more than my old 55” Vizio and the cable. Hell, I’ve got the coax strung across the floor from another room.

5. RJ

RJ Member

Wow, thats a nice setup!
    So you're going to bring the speakers out into the room now instead of behind the screen?

6. Andrew Pratt

No. The black and brown fabric is GOM so also acoustically transparent which means I simply need to move the speakers into the side columns and into the space below the screen. I wasn't sure if I would be able to hear the difference with the mains being that far apart and I can but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

7. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Nice, enjoy!!!

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome. Love the room BTW.

9. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

10. Andrew Pratt

I got my 2050A today and spent some time this afternoon comparing it side by with with my old BenQ W1000. The W1000 has a new bulb so it should be as good as it gets for that model. After running through some minor calibration I started playing a variety of demo material with the projectors more or less stacked and half the lenses covered on each so that comparisons could be done on the fly. I then would swap full images to get a full sense of the differences. Over all they are far more alike than different which was a bit disappointing as I had hoped the black levels on the 2050A would be much better but they are very similar on my current acoustically transparent grey screen. I have a pure white PVC screen coming in the next few days but for now black levels are close. The 2050A is better in that regard but where it shines, pardon the pun is brightness as it is much brighter and as such provides a more vivid image that has more pure whites and so higher contrast. The resolution is similar with both presenting a sharp enough image with the slight edge going to the 2050A.

Over all I'm both happy and disappointed. The image quality is better but not so much that I'm blown away vs what I had previously and had I bought the new one locally from a store with a liberal return policy I'd think twice about keeping it. I may feel different when the new screen comes in as I'm going from a grey 106" AT screen to a 110" pure white.

As an aside given the throw distance differences I had to move my ceiling mount forward a foot or so which means I'm almost sitting right under the PJ now but it isn't an issue as it is quiet enough not to be annoying.

11. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

We will be waiting with bated breath your compare and contrast thoughts with the bigger white screen. What sorta demo scenes did you use?

12. Andrew Pratt

Avatar and then a bunch of downsampled 4K videos from Youtube played from the AppleTV.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  13. Andrew Pratt

New screen arrived today....missing most of the hardware :( It was an open box from Amazon at a good price so now have to wait for Elite Screens to send me the missing parts. At least Elite was very quick to respond to my email this morning so their service is excellent so far.

Denton likes this.
  14. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

The classic 'Hurry up and wait!' syndrome... Following this for your successful sharing of how it all works together.
    Smitty

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  15. Andrew Pratt

Still waiting for the screen hardware to arrive...but I went and pulled the trigger on a device I'm most curious about. I'm not typically for gadgets that purportedly magically improve the sound or video, but the reviews on the Darbee device got my attention and so I've got one coming. For the $99 I paid from BH it is cheap enough to warrant a try as I'm sure I can easily recoup costs given how much love they get on AVS and they are typically more than I paid. Anyway for those that aren't familiar with these little boxes they're essentially video processors that if you're into photography run a real time unsharpen mask on your video sources...at least that's how I perceive the changes when watching video and reading about them. As mentioned they're quite popular on AVS as a bridge between 1080P and 4K so we'll see what the fuss is about. The system is more or less set and forget once you've dialled it in to your preferences as it'll run from very little impact to over the top which might be useful for gaming but not theater viewing.

If you want a deeper dive into the tech...
    Home Theater Geeks 303 Darbee's Vision | TWiT.TV

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  16. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

Darbee via my older Oppo 103D - surprised me. No complaints with Darbee... And at your investment level, a winner... (Move it to a sub TV area, when everything else is how you want it...:)!
    Smitty

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  17. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

It definitely does something. Whether there are any negative effects will be for you to say but as you mentioned, this device enjoys almost universal praise, which is rare indeed.

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  18. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  19. Andrew Pratt

I installed the Darbee on my 9 year old Samsung 1080P 52" LCD TV today since I'm still waiting for the theater screen parts to arrive as I wanted to make sure it worked. Simply put it does a really impressive job so long as you don't go crazy with how much processing you add and I can see why most everyone that has one loves it. For $99 you really can't go wrong and I'd really be curious to see a 1080P BluRay + Darbee vision compared to a 4K version played side by side. HDR would skew the 4K but I'm willing to bet it'd be a lot closer than you might think. I want to see how much improvement I get on less stellar video sources (720P or regular compressed TV shows) as that's obviously one benefit of having the Darbee add processing to all sources coming to the display and I'm also assuming that the benefits will be amplified on the larger screen compared to the 52" TV.

20. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

We usually stream via a Roku device (What we started with, and every few years I update to the latest and greatest for our main TV, and move the older unit to some other TV.). We're hard CAT6 wired to the Roku and Oppo BDP-103D, with download speeds usually between 90-120Mbps.

I've found myself watching via Netflix an older movie, show, or even a nature or tourist show of a say a National Park. And after 10-15 mis watching via the Roku, realize I want to see a better picture. I'll then change the TV source over to the Oppo, and using Darbee, start the show again to see the Darbee effect. It is always an improvement!!!
    Sometimes, dramatically so.

Once a year my wife and I like to have a bottle or wine (Or two!) and watch Out of Africa. We have the original DVD, a Collectors Edition in Wide Screen version, and finally a Remastered Blue Ray & DVD edition from around 2011 or 2012 timeframe. The movie's winning the Oscar's for Cinematography was not a mistake!!! We have three or four scenes that we feel are spectacular from a photography standpoint. Just to test (Well, I wanted to, and enough wine had been consumed - that my Dear Wife pretended to be interested too!), we watched these same four scenes multiple methods.
    -Toshiba SD-9200 DVD 720P (Ah yes, Progressive Scan and DVD-A baby!!) (Conventional DVD from sometime in the early 90's.)
    -Oppo BDP-103D (Watched the scenes in all three formats, with and without Darbee. And we watched the scenes from what oldest DVD, then Collectors Edition Widescreen (Which was a bit different in itself, so that may have made a difference too...) and finally BluRay Remastered Version.

The Collectors Edition Widescreen, with Darbee - was quite outstanding to see visually. It really showed what the Darbee, yes with the SI VRS Clearview vs QDEO processor of the standard 103, could seemingly magically due to a video source.

The Remastered BluRay version also had, I'll say more refinement of the picture, when Darbee was on vs off.

Jumping to Avatar in 3D, well I had not even played with Darbee when we first all sat around watching the 3D showing here at home, on our little 55" screen. About two weeks later, I started playing with Darbee, learning how to use it - and well, let's just say even my Dear Wife commented on how different, in a nice way, the 3D picture was in Darbee mode...

-----
    So Andrew, with the gear you have ahead of you - I look forward to your continued updates. And you know, for that low of a price point, I might just go add the DarbeeVision DVP-5000S to our RV's Samsung 40" 4K screen:)! (No worries, I'll protect the person prompting this from my Dear Wife!)... Enjoy:)!
    Smitty