Ahem

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by DYohn, Feb 5, 2020.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

To go with my Solaris amplifier. Sweet sounding things.
    IMG_1057.jpg

Denton, Carl V and Phil Rose like this.
  2. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

oh my...
    anxiously awaiting your thoughts....
    and contrasts with your prior 'cans'
    I can't recall What Claude's go these days.
    But you two are rockin'

3. DYohn

These are the second electro stats I’ve owned. The first some Stax Omegas from 20 years ago. I’ve only listened for ten minutes because I’m really busy but first blush is I am blown out how good these are.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  4. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Doesn’t RAAL have a stat headphone now?

5. DYohn

No, their SR1a is a pure ribbon thing that requires a special amp adapter since they are a 0.2 ohm load. I listened to them. They sound REALLY good, but they are too weird looking and they pump tons of sound into the room since they are dipoles. Not for me.

6. DYohn

My end game, I do believe.
    IMG_1058.jpg

Linux server running Roon - Sonore Ultrarendu - Schiit Yggdrasil with Unison USB - Audiovalve Solaris - Dan Clark Voce.
    High end on a desktop.

Carl V likes this.
  7. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

That stuff is shiny-glossy-pretty! I can only imagine what it sounds like. Gotta be close to the top!

DYohn likes this.
  8. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Congrats David. Let us know what you think. What other headphones have you been using until you got the Voce?
    Tomorrow my 8wire Norne headphone cable arrives for my ZMF Verite. I had bought a 4 wire, but then Trevor offered to let me trade the 4 wire in for full credit on the 8 wire. I have bought a bunch of cables from him the last two years so since the first one, he has given me some great deals, demos and freebees. I hate to tell him I only want /need one more cable.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    DYohn likes this.
  9. DYohn

Hi Claud. Would it be a cliche to describe Voce as "sounds very electrostic but with as much bass as a good dynamic"? That's how I'd describe them. Very fast transients, very extended and smooth high end, high-efficiency-like mids, but with authoritative bass like is normally lacking in an electrostat. Dan Clark says they measure flat to 6Hz, and I don't doubt him. They are quite good with everything from rock to symphonic to female jazz vocalists. The thump of an upright bass sounds absolutely life-like to me. Acoustic guitars sparkle and hum. I like them. Are they perfect? No. WIth some material they get a little sharp and buzzy, which might be related to break-in. They come with a set of dampening pads to tune to the user's liking, and I'm planning to try the lightest amount of damping to see if it tames that sharpness.

I've been using my MrSpeakers Ether Flow C cans lately, and I also broke out my "standard" HD650 set to calibrate my ears.

10. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I look at David's pic of his rig and I wonder if I would listen to it or worship it. :wink:

claud and DYohn like this.
  11. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Thanks David. Damn that's what took Dan so long to develop. An electrostatic headphone with good bass. That is as good as it gets.

DYohn likes this.
  12. DYohn

It's just a golden calf, Denton, but it's a great sounding one.

Denton likes this.
  13. DYohn

FYI, Mr Speakers headphones ship with a set of filter media called a tuning kit. There are three different sets of materials to allow users to customize the sound. After several hours of listening, I have decided I like the effect of adding the white paper filters to Voce. Dan Clark describes their effect as "medium damping of the high end without affecting the bass." They seem to have smoothed out the frequency response and tamed the upper register harshness I was hearing. Very nice.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  14. GSmitty

GSmitty Active Member

Reading your sound perspective, made me chuckle. As I recall my wife and daughter I having dinner one night with just a few glasses (Well, bottles!) of vino - and my daughter asked me 'Dad, why do you get so deep in the differences of speakers, and the sound they put out? The music is still the same music.'. That lead to me talking, for unusual, for about 4 minutes before my wife started laughing. She said to my daughter 'Why do you let him get started on this stuff. I'll be hearing this for the rest of the night now!'. (Apparently, in her mind, I've been known to eventually shift all conversations over to HiFi related components, tubes, LP's vs Red Book vs HiDef vs Streaming... And, probably guilty!). It was her and my daughter then laughing sort of at me, well I like to think with me, as they parroted back some of the buzzwords we all seem to use about speakers, and music in general... Had me laughing pretty hard at the end of the evening, at myself, and I suppose all of us who like this stuff called HiFi!!!

Congrats on the new cans, and appreciate you sharing the HiFi lingo with us all!!! Enjoy them,
    Smitty

DYohn likes this.
  15. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Very nice. I assume—I know virtually nothing about headphone rigs!

DYohn likes this.