Another 360 Horror Story

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Troy Seufert, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert Active Member

Here's a new one!

So I have a friend who had asked for some 1600 Microsoft Points cards for her birthday back in September.

One of her friends purchase three of them in August, forgot to give them to her for her birthday so instead gave them as a Christmas gift.

So a couple days ago my friend goes to enter the codes into her 360. Two of the cards work fine, but the third keeps giving an error. After multiple tries she decided to call Microsoft Support.

After waiting on hold for a fair amount of time she gets to a live person who promptly tells her that she doesn't know what a MS Point Card is and will have to transfer her. Haha.

Much more holding ensues before another human being gets on the phone, speaking to her in a thick accent that she can barely understand. He also continually refers to her as her gamertag name and not her real name. Haha.

Finally after much jumping through hoops she is told that the store did not scan the card correctly when it was purchased and she has to do the following.

1) take the card back to the store it was purchased from along with the receipt that proves she purchased it there.

2) store has to re-scan the card to activate.

3) store has to provide a NEW receipt showing said activation took place.

4) with new receipt and properly scanned card in hand, she must call MS customer support again to get the card unlocked in the system so that the points can be applied (apparently that code is locked out now that she tried entering it without it having been properly activated).

Obviously there is no way any of this is going to happen. The cards were a gift purchased five months ago, and no receipt was kept. Even then, my friend would have to mail the card back to her friend to take it back to THAT store to get the new receipt.

Needless to say, she's not a happy camper as she has to toss a $20 gift into the trash.

Does it really need to be this complicated? :confused:

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

If the front line person had the authority to enable cards that had not been activated (possibly stolen), then you would be hearing people post about how to steal cards and then get them activated for free by complaining to Live support. It sucks, but it is true.

I would recommend going to AVS and sending a PM to AmirM. He may be able to route you to someone who can help out.

3. Troy Seufert

Yeah, I understand why they have to do it that way. This just happens to be one of those situations where an honest person gets the short end of the stick. :)

At least it was a gift. I purchased a card once and instead of using my fingers to scratch it off, I used a pair of scissors (No, I don't know WHY) and I scratched off the ink underneath. :lol:

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The original Live and Point cards SUCKED ASS! It was far too easy to damage the letters underneath. The new "peel" cards work much better.

It sucks that the store did not properly scan the card. Give Amir a shot. He may not be able to assist you, but he has shown a great willingness to help folks out when he can.

5. Troy Seufert

I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt. Thanks!

The new ones are "peel" style? Awesome. I hate scratch cards.

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The ones I have used lately have all been "peel". Those "pre-cut" cardboard type. Kind of like pull tabs.

7. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

This is why when I buy someone a gift card, I always give them the receipt along with it. It's not like they don't know how much I paid for the gift, and then if there is an issue like this they can easily get it fixed.

Graeme

8. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

How is this for a coincidence. Last night I took my daughter to "Macaroni Grill". I had received two gift cards on the last 3 months from my sister (one for my birthday and another for Christmas). The meal was just over the value of one card so I gave the waitress both cards. One worked and the other didn't! The waitress said it had not been activated.

I just payed the balance with my credit card, but it is kind of a pisser that I am going to have to figure out how to get the thing activated.

9. MadisonSaunders

MadisonSaunders New Member

Teresa fidalgo is a woman who died and then people said her ghost wandering around. Later on, different stories of Teresa fidalgo can be seen. If you search it on internet different kind of stories, events and blooded pictures will show up. A woman came up in the search with white clothes and scary eyes. She is like a mystery box.