Another reason to consider Linux, or no big deal?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by DYohn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Dude, fuck Windows in the ass. I don't use 10 regularly because we're still on 7 at work and even when we do upgrade, I assume the corporate environment will be different... but, I read recently that MS has started inserting essentially ADs into your local machine search results. So when you type in pho.... to open photoshop in the little search box in the start menu, it will also show you apps from the app store. HELL NO.

DYohn likes this.
  3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Funny. But isn’t what you describe the same as Spotlight search does on Mac OS and iOS? Or at least I know iOS does it. But you can disable specific types of search results i.e. do not search App Store. Point is I don’t think this is a Windows-specific thing, so it seems if you have some romantic feelings about Windows you’d have them as well for Apple OSes.

jasn, Carl V and DYohn like this.
  4. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Follow the money

5. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Probably for the best. 7Gb isn't much and if it keeps updates coming, it's a good thing. We're rolling the Server 2016/ Windows 10 desktop right now and it's been fantastic so far.

jasn and DYohn like this.
  6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Same. Win10 is the best OS MS has put out....warts and all.

jasn and DYohn like this.
  7. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I'm stuck with a Win 10 PC for some purposes. But I use a linux box with a VPN most of the time. FWIW, Win 10 is much easier to install than previous Winders versions. I've wondered what M$ has "copied" from linux to allow this more linux-like behavior.

8. CJ

That is not correct on OSX. It does bring up apps on iOS but ONLY if nothing on your phone matches. I'm not in agreement that this is "the same thing".

9. John F

John F Active Member

So it is fuck IOS and Windows?

10. CJ

If you have an iPhone, go type in a random word in Spotlight. I don't think it works the same as Windows. But whatever. I spent 4 hours blowing away and re-imaging my father's Windows 10 laptop on the 26th so still fuck Windows.