Any F1 fans.... going to the Canadian Grand Prix again

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Chris Slade, May 20, 2019.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I went to this race in Montreal in 2017, going again this year with the same two guys. I will be better prepared this time. I had no idea what I was in for the first time.

What a time. If anyone is an F1 fan, put the Montreal race on your to do list. Montreal is a great place at anytime of the year, F1 weekend it is off the charts.

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I like to watch on the TV and must admit that I’ve contemplated the F1 at COTA in Austin, TX. but... What’s the experience like? I expect going with buddies makes the whole thing a blast!

3. Chris Slade

In Montreal it is basically a city wide party for 4 days. Days are at the track which has it's own bar's end entertainment. In the evening the main streets in the city are filled with concert stages, exotic cars, and just plain over the top events. It really is something to see. A person could go to the city for the weekend have a great time and never even buy race tickets or go to the track and it would still be an amazing experience.

4. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I was in Indianapolis in 1993 on business saw Nigel Mansell pass his “rookie” Indy 500 driving test during a practice session and went to the infield museum. Downtown was a mass of humanity during the evening with lots of energy.

This is from Wikipedia:
    “Wednesday May 12
    Rookie Nigel Mansell passed his physical and began his four-phase drivers test. He breezed through all four phases, with a top lap of 218.579 mph. Though he was unable to attend the Rookie Orientation Program, Mansell received special permission from USAC to skip the program, due to his extensive auto racing experience and expertise.

Robbie Buhl crashed in turn two, suffering a concussion, which sidelined him until May 19th. Ross Bentley and Olivier Grouillard also spun out on the track.

Raul Boesel topped the speed chart for the day at 224.461 mph.”

I was at turn 1 entry when Boesel went by and I was, and still am, amazed at how fast he went by! I’ve never seen anything like it! This year they are doing 229!

Have a great time in Montreal!! I’ll be envious of you as I watch on the tube.

5. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

6. Chris Slade

I fly out tomorrow morning, weather looks perfect for the whole weekend. Restaurant reservations made at two of my favorite places. Usually I don't get too excitement for sporting events etc. but this really is a pretty darn cool weekend, I feel pretty lucky to be doing it.

7. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Have a blast!! I’ll be looking for you in the stands on the TV! What are your plans at the track? Practice, Quali, Race?

8. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I love Gran Prix racing. I wish American television carried it. Go Lewis Hamilton to world title number 6!

Phil Rose likes this.
  9. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I liked the NBC coverage. I’m not so fond of the SKY commentators but “ya takes what ya gets”. And YES for #6!!!

DYohn likes this.
  10. Chris Slade

We have a full weekend track pass. I don't buy the tickets, so I don't really know the details. But we have full access to the track all weekend for all events, and assigned seats in the stands for the F1 race. In Montreal the track is on an island served by the subway. Once you are on that island it is all out. Insane events, bars and entertainment. Get up eat go to the track for the day. Out for dinner and the excitement in the city for the evening. Do this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Hamilton's biggest competition currently is his teammate. Last race he basically apologized for it being boring watching him dominate. He won the last race I was at.

DYohn likes this.
  11. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Controversial end to the race!!! I heard lots of boos but, I happen to thing the stewards got it right, even if there wasn’t anything that Vettel could do differently.

12. Chris Slade

I understand penalties and things like this particular situation have been going on since I was too small to even be a fan.
    The issue here is Vettel won the pole position and lead every single lap of the race, but didn't win the race, that leaves a sour taste. Vettel and Hamilton both did well to not crash there. Had Vettel taken out Hamilton then Ferrari wins that race.

I think the penalty was just too big, it ended the race, Hamilton had no reason to try and pass, there was no way Vettel could get 5 seconds ahead of him. Stroll, Ricardo, and Verstappen all ran pretty well, and that was great to see.