Anyone else shooting M4/3? And ahem...

Discussion in 'Photography' started by CJ, Sep 9, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Not sure if anyone noticed when I posted the shots of my espresso machine, but they weren't shot on my Olympus. Friday I got a Nikon Z6. It might seem monumentally stupid to buy a new camera when you haven't been shooting much and you might be right. But I really want to get back into it and I need to get out of the house more. Any way, so far I really like it and that's my ahem.

I will be selling all of my Olympus gear and I wanted to see if anyone here was interested before it goes to eBay.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Nikon Mirrorless, congrats on the Z6. I'm on the fence about the Z6 and the Sony A7III. Do I switch systems all together and get an adapter, or do I sell my Nikon gear and upgrade to a Z6 or Z7?

Do see any improvements regarding shooting between the Olympus and the Nikon?

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I was similarly torn between the A7III and the Z6. The Sony has a little better auto focus and a little more advanced "intelligence" with auto focus (e.g. smart switch between multi-point and face detect plus it does eye detect on animals). I'm hoping Nikon can further refine theirs with a firmware update.

But, at the end of the day as people always say you are buying into a system. Nikon's new Z mount is very promising. The Sony E mount is already more mature but when you design a mount you are committing to years or even decades of that mount. The fact that Nikon used information from all of its competitors and designed a mount that allows for a lot of future creativity with lenses and the sensor is a good thing. Here is a quick primer on the Z mount Nikon Z vs Nikon F - What's the Difference? It really feels like Nikon said "ok, we're in, how do we do this and be where we want to be in 10 years" Canon feels like their EOS R series is still a begrudging entry. No IBIS, gigantic lenses, terrible video functionality... feels like they just didn't want to jump in.

Regarding the improvements from the Olympus, most modern cameras handle pretty similarly. Pick your focus mode from full auto to tiny point single spot AF, pick your metering mode, pick your shutter mode (single shot vs burst). The big difference image quality is significantly better. Sensor size is king. There is a reason a real camera still takes better photos than a phone, especially in challenging light situations. An iPhone in bright light and viewing the image on social media on a phone looks great. But try printing an 8x10 from an iPhone image or anything taken in dim light. The difference between M4/3 and full frame is significant.

crop-full-frame-practical-differences-sensor-size.png

I haven't spent a ton of time with the Z6 yet but the test shots I did over this weekend are stunning. Its not one of these monster 40-60MP cameras either. Just 24MP. Of course my Olympus was only 16MP and the pixel density was still much greater.

The downside is of course the entire system is bigger. They did a great job making the body compact while maintaining outstanding ergonomics but full frame lenses will inherently be larger. However, two important points. On some of the heavier M4/3 lenses, the compactness of the body was almost a detriment. Basically my right ring finger was barely on the bottom corner of the body which made the downward pressure from a heavy lens a bit awkward. Secondly, in part due to the nature of the system, I had a LOT of lenses for M4/3. I had the kit lens, a super-zoom, 17, 25, 45, and 75mm primes, 12-40 f/2.8 PRO, 9-18mm wide angle, etc. Conversely, the "kit" lens at 24-70mm is pretty wide at the 24mm end and its f/4 throughout which combined with the outstanding IBIS and low light performance should reduce the need for a bunch of overlapping primes in that area. In fact, immediately I can only really see the need for 3 lenses unless I need something really long. I think I owned like 8 M4/3 lenses.

Bottom line, as the price should indicate and by nature of it being full frame, it just produces better images all else being equal. Of course its a bit like Polk vs. Wilson audio. Is Wilson better (Larry isn't here so we'll just say yes)? If yes, is it worth not just the cost but having 400lb speakers in your room and the accompanying amps etc. To some yes, to others no.

Jay Brown likes this.
  4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I may need to take a look at the Z6. I shyed away from it along with the Z7 because they are First generation devices.

The Sony A7III and the Nikon D500(APS-C) have been at the top of my list. Theres also been discussion regarding the cost of ownership between the new Sony A6600 (APS-C) and an A7III, which suggests jumping to full frame and getting the A7III with a basic kit lens.

I know there's a D6 coming soon which made me wonder if a D500 replacement was in the works. For an APS-C camera, the D500 was a no-brainer for many because if its performance and features.

The 24-70mm lens could be a solid "walk-around" lens, as I use a 18-140 with my D3300.

I own a 50mm 1.8 Prime which I enjoy a lot and was very concerned if I could still be able to use it if I switched systems. It's an FX mount so it's intended for Full-Frame dslrs in the first place. The FTZ adapter would allow for me to adapt to the Z Mount.

My Sigma 150-600 which I use for Airshows is the lens that I may never be able to adapt, but it's been a while since I checked out configurations with the adapters and their compatibility. The last I read was that the Canon variant was adaptable with the MC-11 adapter, and the Nikon wasn't

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk