Anyone own a Ken Onion Kershaw pocket knife?

Discussion in 'Everyday Carry (EDC)' started by CJ, Apr 17, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Sorry for the length, but a little background.

I fancy myself a bit of Boy Scout, always being prepared. Among other things, I always carry a bottle opener, small but fairly bright flashlight, and a pocket knife. I often try to find unique products that fit the bill but with a little extra style or function and reasonably high quality. My bottle opener is part of an OrbitKey that I carry (Orbitkey | Carry Keys Better). The flashlight is a AAA Fenix (very nice lights Fenix E01 Flashlight - Fenix Flashlights)

I have historically carried the tiniest Swiss Army knife (Amazon.com: Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife, Red,58mm: Sports & Outdoors). The one with the blade, nail file / screwdriver, and mini scissors. Part of the reason was I would use the mini scissors to trim my nails. In fact, during the years I carried this knife, I would say I trimmed my fingernails with the scissors 95% of the time and rarely actually used nail clippers. However, last Christmas I got a pair of Swiss Tech nail clippers (Swiss+Tech ST10695M2 Smart Clip Micro-Clippers M2 - - Amazon.com), which work awesome. But they make having a knife with scissors redundant in my case. So I was thinking about getting a slightly larger single blade knife for every day carry.

I've really honed (pun intended) in on the Ken Onion Kershaw pocket knives that are comprised of the Chive, Scallion, Leek, and Shallot (cute, right). I'm wanting something that is bigger than the Swiss Army but not too big. Looking for input.

2. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

I've got a Gerber Micro Tool I keep in the car. I bought it to easily open the occasional cd. Well my car now doesn't even play them but I've found many uses for it. I also have a gerber pocket knife I carry some. It's small but rarely ever use it.

This is my most used piece. I've used it to change license plates, clean my nails, open stuff, you name it. 86fd0a48196466c317fc9c820c8eb52b.jpg

I also have a few Leatherman tools. The rarely ever leave the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

The Kershaw is a very nice blade. We use them on the boat all of the time because they stay sharp, are easy to sharpen and last forever. For the price, you cannot beat them, especially in a salt water and knock it around type of environment. You should also look at the Buck Knight line which has rosewood grips which are also very nice with a very classic look for under $60.

4. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Yes, A Chive. Perfect size for a man's pocket knife. Blade lock when closed to make sure you do not stick myself. I have several Kershaw knives, even an automatic. Great quality for cheap.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. CJ

IMG_0753.JPG

I bought a Chive. Its really nice. This is my pocket carry now. I will say, although I'd hope to never come to this, even the Chive would be an option for self defense much more so than the Swiss Army classic. Obviously only useful against an unarmed attacker but people really don't like to see themselves bleed.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  6. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I always carry a small knife and use it all the time, friends always know I have one and often borrow it a the hockey rink etc. I have three or four one of which is a Victorinox. I also have a couple of K-bar knives. I don't spend a ton of money on knives in case I lose one, I just keep them sharp, any sharp knife is useful.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Nice looking knife. I've always loved how great some simple pocket knives look but I've never carried just a blade. Had carried a Swiss Army Ranger model for years until I was given a Leatherman Wave as a gift. Never considered a Swiss Army style knife again after it (or anything without a locking blade). Have a Charge Ti that I carry in my shoulder bag. Would like to carry it on me still but don't like what the belt pouch does to untucked shirts. I always found I used the pliers as much or more than the knife so few years ago I got a Leatherman Freestyle which is comfortably pocketsized but still has functional pliers.

5020442-NOC02-ALT-B.jpg

I really need to clean it of pocket lint and sharpen it though.

8. CJ

Yeah, for pocket carry, small and simple is what I want. I can throw a multi-tool in my backpack. I wouldn't want something that large in my pocket as an officer worker. If I had a different job, I could see it being worth it.

9. Dustin B

The 4 or 4.5 inch multitools has to be belt or bag unless you're wearing cargo style shorts or pants but that freestyle is under 3.5" closed, has a 2.6" blade, about 5/8" thick and weighs 4.5oz.

10. CJ

11. Dustin B

Ah, I didn't realize just how small Chive was (just googled again and saw a pic of it in someones hand). From the pick i thought it was over 3" for some reason.

12. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

I used to always carry a spiderco knife for years but dropped it from about 35 feet on to a concrete slab and that was all she wrote. I ended up with a buck but now I don't so much carry as leave it in the door of my car. Stopped carrying just after 9/11.

13. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

What makes it TSA compliant? No blade?

This is my Gerber.

8719fef3e7aaae23c80eba08a357928f.jpg e53754804de7417d2f603beb56cdbf08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

DSC_1759.JPG
    Since you do not carry in your pocket, you ought to get something bigger that is assisted opening. Check on a Kershaw Cyro. Nice bigger size and opens in a flash.
    $24.39 Prime delivered from our sponsor

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. CJ

Yes

16. CJ

Kershaw makes a couple nice automatic blades if they're legal in your state.

17. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

I used to carry a small Buck knife like the one below that Maureen gave me as a gift. Beautiful knife, easy open and close. I used it at work to cut straps or tape on boxes of old documents. After 9/11 every building installed metal detectors, so no more Buck knife. So my question is, how do you guys get these knives into your work buildings? No metal detectors?

tage-buck-111-the-classic-3-dot-engraved-aluminum-folding-knife-fa016ee689221939abca3ae5ea8f0372.jpg

18. CJ

No metal detectors here. I get the sentiment but I almost don't really consider a pocket knife to be a weapon. I mean, I get it, its a knife. But people bring in knives in their lunchbox to cut fruit etc. I would honestly have to look at company policy to even know if that is technically disallowed.

19. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I always carry a leatherman multitool when out doing field work etc. Its the same one I've owned for 2o years and it's still good as new but don't typically carry a pen knife on a daily basis.

20. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

So I need a small knife on my boat this season in case I suck up a ski rope in the impeller (don't ask). So I could get a floating knife or just a small knife and but one of those floats for your keys on it or something. I assume the small knives here being discussed are small/light enough that they would work. This is not a salt water environment and the knife will be stored in a dry storage compartment