ATSC 3.0 aka 4K OTA TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Sep 19, 2019.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Starting this new thread to have the all relevant info in one place. Jay and Phil I took the links from your posts in the IPhone thread and placed them here. Hope it's Okay with you.

Free 4K TV with an antenna is almost here
    COMING SOON TO A TV STATION NEAR YOU: Top 40 TV Markets Launching ATSC 3.0 — ATSC

The asterisked markets in the link below shows the markets where there is already ATSC 3.0 broadcast
    ATSC 3.0 TV Standard Will Launch in Multiple Cities by End of 2020; You'll Need a New TV or Converter to Watch ·

It is interesting Raleigh-Durham is already broadcasting, they were also one of the first markets to broadcast digital TV back in 1998-99. I first saw the digital quality there. I got one of those free digital converters soon thereafter.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Thanks for the initiative. Much better as a separate thread. Here is an article from PC magazine from just a few days ago that has 4k TV set comparisons - The Best TVs for 2019

Note that it indicates "Most TV manufacturers unveil their new models for the coming year at CES in January. This doesn't necessarily mean the prices for the current models will drop quickly, though. New TVs don't usually hit shelves until spring, so you're looking at a solid three or four months where you know what new TVs are coming out. If you can find deep discounts for the previous year's models in January, and you know they're good performers based on our reviews, you should go for them."

So for me personally, I'll wait and see what gets announced and see if any sets are slated to have ATSC 3.0 tuners. If so, then I'll look forward to whenever they are released probably a few months after CES.

3. pillatier

I should have added in my first post that Jay clarified in the other thread that current 4K TVs will need a tuner box for ATSC 3.0 reception. Currently there are no tuner boxes on the market.

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

5. pillatier

If the Cable is is pushing back on the viewer data feedback over the internet that ATSC 3.0 is incorporating I am in favor. I don't like the idea of my viewing data being collected for the OTA broadcasters to make money off. I am already paying for the OTA broadcast by having to watch the annoying commercials.

6. Phil A

I don't think cable really cares. They just don't want the competition. I don't watch tons of TV. If I'm going to have annoying commercials either way with OTA broadcasts, I don't really care if they target the few things I watch as long as they don't add more annoying commercials from it.

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I haven't used a Cable/Satellite Box since 2009, but I'm pretty positive all of these boxes are now IP Based, so you're being tracked anyways. The Cable Companies own the pipes, and the content now. My first IT job was at a "Mom and Pop" ISP. That was back in 1999, before DSL and Cable Modems were the norm, the ending of the good ole Wild West Days of the World Wide Web. During that time, there was no Netflix, or Hulu. AT&T, and Verizon were too busy finding ways to sell Cell Phones. Now those same Companies are the big players in Internet, Broadcast, and Content Distribution.

Smart TVs, Tablets, Phones, especially if they are all running and OS such as Android and are linked to Google using one or two accounts, guess what, you are being tracked. There's no way around it if you want to play the game of viewing "Digital" content in this day and age.

If you're viewing content via OTA, guess where your Program Guide comes from, yep the internets. When you set up your Guide, you have to enter your zip code as a prerequisite. No internet, no current Guide Data.

Are you paying any monthly fees for OTA Coverage? No, it's free. The only cost is the equipment, a TV with a digital Tuner, and an Antenna.
    Free being the Key word here, if coverage and reception becomes reliable to the point where you don't need a Cable or Satellite Provider to aid in access of the same content, then it's pretty much a slam dunk that the current Institutions would try and squeeze as many pennies as possible from the Consumer.

So we are going from dealing with a subset of the population willing to put in the work to acquire a reliable Over-The-Air signal, thus paying upfront costs to accomplish this feat (money not going to Cable or Satellite Companies), a change in viewing habits, where "Economics" was a much larger contributing factor to "Cut the Cord" as opposed to "Alternative Resources", such as Streaming and On-Demand services (Cable and Satellite Companies now own all of the content). Ok, you don't want our Cable Package, how about one of our streaming Packages, or if you go with our Wireless service, you can get Spotify or Netflix on us.

At this point, cable companies are practically begging you to cut the cord

8. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

I think viewing data being collected might be a good thing, just think Nielsen Ratings on a truly broad scale. May put Nielsen out of business though...

9. pillatier

I am one of those few. Who has an OTA antenna on the roof and watch OTA programs and primarily PBS. I do watch several International channels regularly for World news and views through YouTube. The local non-commercial OTA station that specialized only on international channels sold their frequencies here. They still broadcast but they are too far away for antenna reception.

Nielsen is already nearly out of business I heard.

10. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

11. Phil A