Audio components for under 1k??

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Zak, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

hey guys. Been a while!! Switched jobs and was locked out of pretty much every website. Left that job and switched back to my old company that I love. Been a rough few years but finally crawling back out.

I just upgraded our 65” Vizio with a 75” Sony. Love this new TV. Really love the remote. With the IR repeater we can control the cable box with the tv remote. Love that I can watch cable TV, then hit the app buttons for Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc. now I’d like to upgrade my audio system.

I hate. And I repeat hate my Onkyo receiver. Never liked it from the time I had it in my old theater to my new house. Rarely turn it on.

I’d like something simple. My new tv has hdmi arc and want to connect it to whatever sound system. I’ve been listening to receivers. Sony ES, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite. One dealer was recommending Yamaha. I’d like to keep it under $1000. Not opposed to new tech either. Thought about the Sonos Amp.

My speakers are Totem Rainmaker mains, the massive center channel Brian build and my custom 16+ year old Pete sub. Love that sub.

Any thoughts from the experts?
    Today at Best Buy I was in the Magnolia studio and listened to the marantz (can’t remember the model number but it was $998 I believe), a Denon and Pioneer Elite 303 and 503. They were pushing Def Tech speakers as they were kind of the closest to my totems. A bit warmer than the Martin Logan bookshelf speakers they had there. The Denon was terrible. No mid range. Decent bass and decent highs but zero middle. The Marantz and Pioneer Elite 303 were very close. Marantz had a bit more mids and depth. Elite a slight bit more high detail. Funny that the cheaper Elite sounded better than the more expensive one.

At a local hi fi store I listened to the Sony ES (the mode just under 1k) on Totem Hawks. Basically the floor standing versions of my speakers. It sounded quite good. He then played it through a NAD and that sounded incredible. Out of my price range though. That dealer was saying i should get the Sony as my TV and receiver would connect better for Arc and CEC. Not sure if I buy that or not.

So what do you guys think? Anything else to look at? And new tech out there like a Sonos amp to try? I don’t really care about the latest Dolby xyz etc. I’ve been watching movies with just my tv speakers for a while now.

Want simplicity for my wife and kids. And good sound for me. Thanks guys. I’ve missed you all.

2. carlthess50

carlthess50 New Member

I like the denon x!!!!H line. I have the x2200h and really love it. It can do atoms and 7.1 , 5.1 the higher model numbers do even more
    And they have all the app controls as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

What features do you need? Is this mostly for music or movies / TV? Lastly what is it about the Oink you don't like?

4. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Denton likes this.
  5. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I have purchased from Accessories4Less on multiple occasions and I have not been disappointed. The items purchased included a refurb receiver which is still going strong.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

For $1000 Accessories for Less has a Yamaha 2080 that'd be hard to beat.

Zak likes this.
  7. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

+1 for accessories for less. If you like to save the original box and and the stuffings like I do, just tell them it is for a gift like to get the original box with the packaging. If they can they will accommodate. I'd suggest Marantz - I have two and have been very satisfied. .

8. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, forgot all about Accessories 4 less. I believe I bought my old Pioneer Elite from them in the early 2000's.

Looking at their prices, leaning towards saving some $$ and picking up a unit that was about 1000 new. I've auditioned the:
    Pioneer Elite VSX0303 (Funny that it sounded better than the more expensive 503) PIONEER Elite VSX-LX303 9.2-ch x 100 Watts A/V Receiver
    Marantz SR5013 MARANTZ SR5013 7.2-Ch x 100 Watts A/V Receiver w/ HEOS
    Yamaha RX-A880 YAMAHA RX-A880 7.2-Ch x 100 Watts A/V Receiver

The marantz has the best warranty with 3 years included. The others I'd have to add on a 2 year extended warranty but they are only $25.

Biggest thing I'm looking for, which all these should support is HDMI ARC & CEC. Want to turn on the tv and receiver automatically turns on and speakers play instead of the pathetic TV speakers. it will be used 75-80% of the time for TV/Movies/Video games. and 25-20% music. Though I would not mind being able to power my outdoor speakers near the pool with one of these for zone 2 and be able to use my phone to control it if possible.

My living room is a bit funky with one side being 90% open to the kitchen and a vaulted ceiling. So cannot easily install ceiling/height speakers there. Rear wall I could install some bookshelf speakers or possible inwall speakers for the rears, and maybe add some inwall speakers higher up for height. Pete's high gloss/mahogany sub still looks and sounds awesome.

9. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Welcome back, Zac!

Zak likes this.
  10. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Thanks man!!! Missed you guys. Past few years have been pretty surreal, but life moves on and thankfully all is right in the world. Now to read up on the bickering of movies/music and the "you just don't get it".

Dan Driscoll, Rick C and DYohn like this.
  11. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

My personal preference if you can't swing one of the the Anthem AVRs would be Marantz and Denon in that order. I had a Yamaha and granted it was like 17 years ago, but it was bright as hell to the point I'll never go back.

Zak likes this.
  12. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Welcome back Zak!! I own a Marantz SR7010 receiver which includes HDMI ARC and CEC functionality, so you will be safe with the 5013 or a Denon Equivalent.

Zak likes this.
  13. carlthess50

carlthess50 New Member

I agree with you mostly
    The Marantz and denon’s are pretty close the same , they are both made together and the firmware is pretty much the same
    The denons cost less and I e had both and unless your very picky about have the software controlling the sub outa independently, they both have the same feel and both have great sound.
    Where are you located at? Maybe someone close to you can show you how their unit sounds. If your near Orlando or Daytona I could let you hear how my denon works and sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

While i'd love an Anthem, it's a bit above my price range.

I was just shocked yesterday how bad the Denon sounded. Literally no mids and muddy lows. Highs were good but lacked depth. Night and day difference between the Denon and the Marantz/Pioneer. The Pioneer and Marantz sounded almost identical. Marantz might have had a slightly warmer sound.

15. CJ

I wouldn't count out a setup/config issue with the Denon but I'd personally be hard pressed to buy something I disliked just on the chance that it will sound good in my setup given the brand reputation. Pick up a Marantz from A4L would be my answer.

Zak likes this.
  16. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Good to see you back, Zak! Still running your BBQ side business?

I see the low end NAD is $1300 and the low end Anthem is $1400, not much more than a grand. Why not save up some dough and get what you really want?

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  17. CJ

One thing to be aware of is the tradeoff between quality and quantity you will get. I opted for Anthem for the quality but the $1400 model you're referring to only has a 5 channel amp in it. If you already have 7.1 or Atmos setup Its not pragmatic to recommend a solution that already requires going 40% over budget and then saving up longer to get back to the base functionality you're already at today.

I'm hypersensitive to these situations because they happen on every AV forum, reddit etc. every day. Its nice to understand what a little more will get you but my personal MO is to respect the parameters that the OP has laid out when making a recommendation. I'm actually dealing with this on Reddit right now soliciting advice for a music streamer and haven't gotten a SINGLE answer that meets my requirements.

Zak likes this.
  18. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Hey bud! Still doing some side BBQ. Last year had a lot of gigs but scaled back this year a bit. Sold my bbq trailer a few weeks back as I never really use it and it was starting to fall apart a bit. Might upgrade my smoker in the near future as my 5 year old Backwoods is starting to show its age and not hold heat as well as it use to. Hows life in CA?

It's a wrestling match with the budget. The audio guy in me wants the top of the line like I use to have (Miss my old Paradigm Studio 40's, Marantz mono blocks and Audio Source Preamp) but with so many hobbies, darn kids and other things sucking down money (mainly a boat) $1000 is really the max budget and probably more than I should spend at this moment. It's down to the Marantz and Elite. Might give the Elite a try since it sounded quite good last night and its $250 less than the Marantz. More funds to spend on other toys. :)

19. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Reading the specs of both the Marantz and Elite, trying to see which one would work the best for a powered zone 2. As I said, I'd love to be able to run speaker wire to a pair of outdoor speakers I bought and set them up next ot the pool. Pool area gets Wifi, so wondering if either of the receiver apps would work well for this? Not sure bluetooth would work as the receiver and pool area are about 100 or so feet away.

20. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Sheesh, I was doing great avoiding the Game of Thrones and Endgame theads, but all this talk about BBQ is not helping!!!