Bedroom System

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Mike B, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The Tang Band W8-1772's have found a new home. Another driver and the rest of the goodies will be ordered. It rocks in the bedroom - :)

8256606706_bdde21d8c9_o.jpg

All my goodies arrived while I was gone and I got right to work.

The Qinpu is the shiznaz! Cute little sucker too.

Hefted the speak up the wall and the sound got even better. My idea works. The 5.1 in the bedroom is going 2.1. The Logitech is going in the can. The Qintu will accept 3 inputs, TT, DVD player and stereo from the the TV. Has headphone output that I will input to a sub.

Yeah Baby, a new way cool audio project for the holidays.

2. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

Very cool.

So if you send signal to the sub via headphone plug it'll still output to the speakers?

I think all of the units I've had cut signal to speakers when headphones are plugged in.

3. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

I built myself a little speaker level to line level converter. David helped me with the resistor values. It worked pretty well, it's tucked away behind my system in a little 2" Radio Shack project box. Just make sure you pick resistance and power handling values correctly, and you won't have to worry about it.

4. Mike B

Yeah, didn't think of that. Maybe I'll just clip the inturrupter off the jack.

5. Mike B

Spent a day listening to that speaker in mono just off FM radio. It sounds really good. Just for kicks I also connected one of the little Logitech satelites to the other channel and (no surprise) it sounded like crap. I'm going to hook up one of the Adire 81's I have sitting in the closet for a better comparison.

Got all the parts ordered to make the pair. Going to make 2 boxes, 23 liters tuned to 61 Hz and side vented. OD's 16H x 10W x 13D. They will screwed to 16" long boards that will be hinged to the wall into studs. I will be able to adjust the angle with a turnbuckle.

The magic is back - :) That speak just didn't like being in that cubby hole.

6. Mike B

Tubes

Got the kit amp done.

8279246707_bc48d8e1b5_o.jpg

They even supplied a nice piece of poplar which I stained black and varnished. Works good. I think they improved the design because I get no noise or hum with no signal and control maxed out. Pretty cool.

8280303288_2606461dd8_o.jpg

Looks real cool with the lights out. The heaters in those tubes use 20 watts. More than the rated power of the amp. No wonder we went to solid state.

8280302912_3dcd387750_o.jpg

But not as cool as the Qintu.

8280303186_c23413b56c_o.jpg

The Qintu costs less than the kit amp. Gotta love the Chinese.

Now on to building the speaks. The Tang Band kills the Adire kit 81 that I hooked up while I was doing all this stuff. This is going to be fun and keep me nice and busy for a while. Think I'll put the TV on the wall and the TT on the TV stand. Need to keep busy. Turned on some country station when the R&R station went to the Raiders game and some song was on about some guys dead wife that would be waiting at heavens gate for him. Reduced me to rubble.

But I'll be basking in the blue glow till then.

8280303556_6850276b8e_o.jpg

7. Mike B

Got a new routine going. Get in bed at 9:30 and listen to tunes on the radio till 10:30. The Tang Band is so good it makes FM sound like CD - :)

Running the kit amp now, I like it.

8. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

Cool, Mike. I love listening to music before bed.

9. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Nice. A space heater that sounds good! ;) :D

10. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

kills the kit 81....wow!
    Tone? timbre? imaging? or just Overall impressions?
    can you get CD tunes in the bedroom?

Congrats...glad it has all worked out

11. Mike B

Yup. Kills the 81. Not really fair though, it does have an 8 dB advantage and is vented vs sealed. But even jacking my head into a position (right in front of the 81 and way off axis on the TB) where the levels were ~ the same it still kills the 81. Should be no surprise Carl, you know what this can do - :)

8286225864_83fee5db19_o.jpg

I can do CD with the DVD player. I plan on CD (with DVD player), FM (with walkman) and TT with Big Blue.

I figured out how I'm going to do rotate as well as tilt with the hinged wall mounts too. Going to be making lots of dust soon - :)

12. Mike B

Ordered myself a Christmas present. You should always buy yourself something you really want, 'cause nobody else will - :)

Another tube amplifier kit.

8287922253_4673204d4f_o.jpg

8 watt/ch, single ended class A. 10% off 'till tomorrow guys!

http://tubedepot.com/diy-ek-tu-879s.html

I'm not going to even start on this until everything else is done. Speaks built, finished and mounted. Existing shelf modified. TV mounted to wall.

This will be the reward - :)

13. Mike B

Last night I rotated the Tang Band so it was pointed right at my head. Wow, did that make a differance! This is going to be good - :)

The amplifier is on back order. Really cool, my card won't get charged until it ships and I got the 10% off.

Last day of work for me untill Jan 2, looking forward to making speaks and listening to tunes.

14. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Do yo have a sub in your bedroom system? if so do you have an active XO to limit the
    lows from both your amp & your speakers?

and yes, speaker orientation really effects tonal balance when using sgl, driver speakers.

15. Mike B

Hehe - :)

I ordered up a new sub amp just so I could control the XO freq, level and know there was no curve.

I don't think I will need it. The box is going to be tuned to 60, so the cone will not unload 'till there. The one I've got now is rear ported and the vent is like 3 inches from the wall, so I am getting a little boost and it sounds good. Not one note boomy, sounds good. I'm going side vented with the new design into the wall/ceiling boundary, so the room is going to be a bass horn. FM from this station has always been bass heavy and it sounds good with no correction. More pure sources will be a little lighter, but I'll deal with that later.

I am designing this as a finesse system, don't see using more than a watt or 2. Listening position - flat on my back in bed, head on pillows. The sound I am getting now is rich & full, full of nuance and detail. If I want to rock & roll I can always go to the garage and unleash a kilowatt - :)

16. Mike B

They all look the same in the beginning.

8297641815_d202513885_o.jpg

This and the 2 pieces of ply that will hinged to the wall are 3 quarter sheets. Lotta dust - :)

I always post this startup pic because I want folks to know that if I can build good speaks with a $100 table saw on a sawhorse workbench, you can too.

Now it's getting close to cocktail time and I am done with the high speed tools. I got some clams too. And lobster tails for supper.

It's been a good day - :)

17. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 Active Member

:tu:

18. Mike B

Regarding the imaging, I am getting it with only one speak. Well maybe 1.2 since .2 is about all I can hear out of the 81 having no balance control. Voices sometime appear to originate several feet above the driver. Have no idea what will happen when they are up on the wall. It'll be fun.

Found a review I hadn't seen before with the kit amp and the W8-1772. I'm not the only one that thinks this setup rocks!

Model: K12G
    Category: Integrated Amplifier (Tube)
    Suggested Retail Price: $189
    Description: Integrated Amplifier Using 10GV8 Tubes
    Manufacturer URL: S5 Electronics
    Model Picture: View
    Review by JimOfOakCreek on April 24, 2011 at 12:41:39
    IP Address: 174.103.166.130 Add Your Review
    for the K12G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a review for the S5 Electronics K12G Integrated Amplifier Kit. This is an extremely low cost kit at $189. I know what you're thinking. For that price it must be a POS. However, I can tell you that this is one fine sounding amp when paired up with efficient speakers. Plus there are numerous well documented modifications on the Web that make this amp sound even better than stock. The amp uses 10GV8 tubes which are relatively cheap and put out about 8w/ch. The mods I performed include upgrading the caps to Auricaps, installed UF diodes, added snubber caps, upgraded the volume pot and a few other upgrades. I use this amp to drive a pair of DIY bass reflex speakers using the Tang Band W8-1772 drivers. The sound is amazing, deep deep bass and extended highs. But the most addictive quality is the musical involvement. Small jazz groups have that gritty realistic sound with a noticable 3D quslity to them. I hear details that I cannot hear with my Class D reciever. The K12G is a great project for a novice DIYer, an experimenter or someone on a limited budget. The stock kit is mounted on a plain board. I mounted mine in a wine box which requires more mods. BE WARNED: There are high voltages envolved in this kit. Understand the dangers before you start any tube project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Weakness: The kit is primitive, mounted on a board. The DIYer must provide his own enclosure
    Product Strengths: Inexpensive, unbelevable sound, very good platform for modifications

Source - http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=amp&m=164659

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  19. Mike B

We got glue!

I added a brace to this box. A "V" brace with the vent right behind. No direct path from the rear of the cone to the vent.

8313480984_b388373119_o.jpg

I had to fit the brace too. A little sanding was needed so the side would fit w/o bending the wood. Vent is 3" ABS pipe glued in with ABS cement. A lot lighter than PVC. I learned that trick from the net too. The cement adhears to wood great and fuses with the pipe too. Works great.

8312431307_2be8f7796b_o.jpg

These boxes are 24 liters net tuned to 60 Hz with a 4" long vent.

I called tube depot and the amp is not going to ship till late January. Good thing I got my cheapie to hold me over. Got lots of time to do this project right. My tubes arrived today - :) Got no amp, but I got tubes. A matched pair of SED "Flying C" KT88's and a Sovtec 12AX7 long plate. The Sovtec I have used before (very good) and the SED's were reccommended by the tube depot guys.

Back to more nailin' and gluin' tomorrow - :)

20. Mike B

Ready to foam

8317734625_7175a59b1b_o.jpg

Once the foam is in the baffles can go on. These are the best boxes I have made. I love that finish nailer. I can position perfect and feel for proper alignment and overhang with my finger and then pop the nail.

See those hurricane nuts? They are the rotate feature. I am going to route some slots in the tilt board on the bolt circle and that will allow me to rotate the speak and point it right at my head while still securing it well. 4x 1/4" machine screws, that will be earthquake proof - :)