Bedroom System

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Mike B, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Actually I will be getting rid of them, I will remove the drivers and put them up for sale. It seems everything must go to take up less room.
    If interested in just the drivers, I can make a nice price.

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I would buy them if I had a place for them. I gots me way too many speaks now. Put 'em up for sale baby, lot's of folks have been reading this thread.

Have you sent that amp on it's way?

3. Mike B

We be ready to woof.

10751106516_2efab3ec8b_o.jpg

The pad does a good job of damping the driver, very effective.

10751128184_303a61122b_o.jpg

It gonna be a fun weekend - :)

4. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

Looks good. Hope it does what you want.

5. Mike B

Thanks. Yeah, me too.

Most of the stuff I've built has exceeded my expectations. A few have hit the trash can. Hey, that's life - :)

6. Mike B

Well one of these is going to hit the trash can but it's not going to be the new one.

10761101266_268ba96e7e_o.jpg

It really is smaller. And better. Much better - :)

Put it in last night and fired it up. Oh yeah.

10761111274_9ee372eec8_o.jpg

Goes much lower than it's predecessor. Nice and smooth too. I have about a 3 dB cut on it with the pad which made the other settings on the amp about the same. After much twiddling with the controls and standing, sitting and laying I got between the sheets. And then the tingles started. Many tingles, much more than usual. And not because the bass was so much better it was because everything else was much better. Vocals and guitars sounded 3 dimensional with better clarity and shimmer even. Depth. Beauty. When I turned the mains off I could hear a clear bass line out of the sub with fantastic definition as compared to the muddy conglomeration of before.

I guess cleaning up the bass cleaned up everything else too. I was more than impressed I was tingling song after song as if I had never heard them before. Woke up at 12:30 and found the stuff was still on. Put me right off to sleep.

Now I've got the bass to match the rest of the system - :) HiFi bass, it really does make a differance.

7. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

Very cool!

8. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 Active Member

That's great, Mike! :2tu:

9. Jack

It is well packed and ready to go out Monday AM. Been in a bit of a mood lately and did not send. I will miss it.

10. Mike B

Thanks Jack.

I am hoping for the best for you, good news on the insurance front.

Speaking of insurance, it's fall when all my insurance bills come in and I've got a stack of them. They're all bigger than last year too, so I know they got some dough.

11. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

WOW! Nice woofer!

12. Mike B

Thanks.

I've been breaking it in all day. Just the radio, dac and sub working. It's been thumpin' all day. From time to time I've gone in there and cranked it till the cone was moving a quarter inch peak to peak. It's got way more power than the rest of the stuff. I could do a good rendition of rap with this - :)

I had a little wobble on the feet that I thought I would correct with shimming a foot with a business card, but then I thought why not measure the extra feet I got? Found one that was 10 thou over and put that one on the short side. Nice and stable.

It's been fun to go in and play the "guess the song from the bass line" It ain't easy.

Tomorrow I'm gonna spin some vinyl. Test out the new Shure with some of my fav albums. Make sure the table is still cool with the new woofer. And put the big discs in their new home - :)

13. Mike B

Six Inches

Wouldn't seem like a lot eh? Made a big differance. Last night I noticed that all the bass seemed to be coming from the right speaker. Still sounded good, but why not move the woofer a little further away? To the opposite side of the stand. So today I did;

10912985894_b829d8bc43_o.jpg

Which moved the bass about a foot. Still sounds like it's coming more to the right, but at least it sounds like it's coming from the "middle", where bass is supposed to come from - :)

Yeah, it sounds really good, better than I expected, work rewarded. Unless I have the woofer turned up way louder than it should be the bass seems to come from the mains. I couldn't say that about the other one. So I looked at why this happy situation occured and I think I found it. Here are the responsed curves on the Tangbands (green) and the woofer (red)

10912986124_09284a492c_o.jpg

The Tangband boxes are tuned to 60 Hz and are -7dB at 60. The woofer box is tuned to 40 and is -3 dB at 40. The real magic comes from the group delay me thinks.

10912840435_e6046c4d11_o.jpg

The boxes are within 2 milliseconds of each other down to 55 Hz. At 60 Hz they are the same. Nice and seamless blend. I love it when a plan comes together. When I built the woofer I did not superimpose these curves, but if I do any more bass assisted designs you can be assured I'm going to look at the group delay match.

14. Jack

Yes Mike, will touch down Friday this week.

Thank You for the awesome loan.

15. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Its arriving at my house. Thanks again Mike! I need to grab some speaker wire as my ideal setup will be to hook it up to a secondary output from my source and run it completely independent from the HT like I did when I had the Gallos and the tube pre-amp.

16. Mike B

That'll work. Just connect any line level source and some speaks. Get some bananna plugs with that wire, it will make your life easier.

Do not turn on the amp w/o speakers connected, it needs a load.

It's a good amplifier. 8 watts, class A, good transformers, uses feedback but not a lot, -8dB. Runs pretty cool for a single ended. It's almost as good as a Stereomour - :)

17. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Thanks for the heads up.

18. Jack

It was a good amp and worked well with the high efficiency speakers. Should do quite well with Klipsch. Mike is spot on re the banana plugs, they make it so easy and it will need a few minutes to settle in, maybe 15 minutes or so.

Enjoy.

19. Ed P

Ed P Member

Mike B

It looks like you have some modeling/measuring abilities. Not needed for me, but when you get some rainy day and the "do something" itch you have shown to have, try couple measurements with min, mid, max setting on that lpad, even simple frequency measurements and the "find min cone movement vs frequency" finger/thumbnail test. It might be interesting to see what shift in performance , FB, F3, F6 and Fmax point is with those three settings.

20. Mike B

Hi Ed, I really don't have any measuring stuff, those curves are all compu-curves generated by win isd.