Bedroom System

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Mike B, Dec 8, 2012.

1. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

Same speakers or different?

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

They are the old tangbands (green) and the new vifa woofer (red).

It's just compu-stuff that win isd generates. All theory based on specs. No measurements.

I do like win isd though, been using it for years now. Easy to use and free and seems to work good.

Here ya go, try it out:

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=WinISD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  3. Ed P

Ed P Member

MikeB

Kinda knew they were model curves due to "they too perfect", but you could just get a free Freq gen program like FGlite (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...-Tools/Marchand-Function-Generator-Lite.shtml) and simple hookups of out of PC headphone to rca input. Run a tone near the "perfect curve FB", then move lpad from min to max, it might be another bit of info you can use to tune/mix your room/sub/TB's. Will take a bit of ear to figure out , am I hearing loud, or am I hearing extention affects.

4. Mike B

5. Ed P

Ed P Member

Mike B

Face it, this setup should no longer be refered to as "Bedroom System"

It either garners "Full Stereo Playback System" or "Hi-End on a Budget via Tip of a Soldering Iron System"

I'm thinking that Baron Von Frankenstien started out the same with small with say frogs and we all know what he ended up with.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

Mike Von Frankensystem? :D

7. Mike B

MuuHaha!

I'll have to add up all the bucks I've got in this sometime, but it is a "value" system. Yeah, lotta dust - :)

I just love it! It will always be there, not changing anthing else that doesen't break. Not gonna try a 300B, 2A3 is good enough. Lot's of guys at Bottlehead swear by 45's, an even lower powered tube. Not going there either, not in current production.

My listening levels have remained the same too, about 65-67 dB average on the bed, 3 meters. Which is ~72 dB @ 1 meter. The new woofer made it seem louder though, so I measured and confirmed it's the same. Just sounds fuller and cleaner.

I'm gonna do a custom on the quickie, gonna wrap the plate and do a 3 plane plate sliding into a wood 3 sided mount that will be screwed to the wall. Igor, where is my sheet metal brake?

8. Mike B

I tallied it all up and it's about 5 grand. Not bad eh?

That's the whole deal too.

3 Bottlehead amps with mods, 2 mains, the woofer and the woofer amp, all the wood, wires, electrical components and upgrades, the TV and the DVD, the DAC, the Olive, the tape deck and the Senn 600.

Worth every penny! Most people have a HT that also serves for listening to music. This is a music system that also does video - :)

9. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Well have not sold the tang bands yet, have not sold much of anything really. Too hard to admit failure as yet. Maybe next month, although the camera and tube dac have to go maybe a hundred each, well see.

Anyway, I have been using one of the TBs as a center channel speaker and frankly it rocks. Have to turn the center channel down by 8db or so but it fits in, clear as a bell and
    really brings out dialogue and surround music very well.

Mike could you design a small box maybe the same size as I have only use 2 of the TB's on the front motorboard. What would have to be done ?
    I think that as a center could take most anything that could go through them.

10. Mike B

No problem, here ya go Jack;

11520764746_0e81658b5f_o.jpg

Not exactly small, 50 liters, with a 4" dia vent about 2 inches long.

11. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

wow what service!

12. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

So what, 22"x 12.5" x 12.5"? Beefy. Maybe an LCR of those for HT use? Just sayin' , Jack.

13. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

two Wideband drivers on the same front baffle.....objectively there should
    be some comb-filtering going on & a bit of a ragged FR. But ya never know.

14. Mike B

I am thinking it could sound good with a little angle ~30 degrees, ie the front baffle angles back 15 degrees off each side. One driver on each half.

Hard to build though.

15. Jack

Hmm had not thought about comb filtering issues, I guess I was thinking that many MTM cabinets work, why not this ? Actually, would the speaks have to be wired in series of parallel ?
    One Zoebel ?
    I am such a demanding cuss, I really want it to be no wider than it is now, i.e.. 10" or so as it will look kind of crummy on the rack if it takes the shape of a napping troll.
    As I think on this I am not even sure I need dual woofers, I just thought it might help being that the center has to, by definition move a bunch of air. Using one as I am now
    makes the front stage seem very seamless between the Martin Logans, everything is so darn clean. No chestiness, no boxiness and no spacial boundaries.
    Played one of the Wish You Were Here high res immersion discs in surround and it was so good it was almost scary good enough to put Chad to sleep I would guess.

Just the best I have yet heard in my room.

So what would dual woofers actually get me, I am not looking for bottom end, just enough head room to work with big movies and three channel orchestral works.

16. Jack

Be happy to make you a set Chad, send some dough you will be surprised at how good they can sound within their limitations.

17. Mike B

Jack, one more time...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - :)

Dude, you just said it sounded the best you ever heard with your ML's. That's gotta be pretty good - :)

Ah, but what to do with that other driver...nobody is going to want to buy 1 driver.

How about a "table radio" That will give you an excuse to make some dust. And something that I would like to do also. Get a Tivoli model 1, make a new box 25 liters that also has a recess for the radio to fit into. Wire the Tivoli to the TB and put that sucker in your bedroom.

Then you can put a good shine on that other one you are using for a center and those 2 projects should keep you in DIY heaven for a while.

Have fun Baby!

18. Jack

Yeah Mike, keep it simple eh ??
    I think you are right about shine it and set it. I can do that, it do sound good.
    I don't want anything in the bedroom so I will put it aside and see what happens.
    I was making a set of Gr Research speaks and told Parts express that the inside of the cabinets had some mold in them, so they sent me a complete brand new second set.
    Now I have 2 pairs of gloss black cabinets in the shop waiting to be finished. Cool, with one of them was the size of the tang band....would save some time.

19. Mike B

Yup, I looked at that too, won't work.

The TB needs 25 liters and the baffle has to be 10 inches min.

You have nothing in the BR? Not even a TV?

20. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

I guess if you ever bathed you could put one in the bathroom.

Oh, was that a secret? My bad.