BIC 980 automatic turntable - did anyone ever have one?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Mar 15, 2015.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

2. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

BIC was All That, back in the day. I still have a Technics SL-J92 in-line turntable. It also has the ability to find tracks on an album. It's not a great turntable, really, but it fits a nice Grado cartridge and suits my occasional vinyl itch.

(this video is not my TT, just from YT)

[video=youtube;NWP-6WQw96c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWP-6WQw96c[/video]

3. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

The BIC even had a remote control! That added to the intrigue. I gave it away to my then girl friend and later bought a Technics SL-7 linear tracking table it also finds tracks, but no remote control. I still have it.

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

Sorry, I had the 960. I liked it a lot. Then I got a Phillips GA 312 and, later, a Rega Planar 2.

5. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you put a turntable on top of a speaker? I thought the trick was to isolate the vibration not make more of it! On a side note, I have a Luxman PX-101 in the basement, another linear tracking table. It was great because it was also able to be controlled by the Luxman universal remote if you had the Servo Face rack - aka - Suck Face. Did some really cool stuff like if you were recording and the record finished, it would automatically shut off the tape deck.

6. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I'm sure that many of us put turntables on our speakers back in the day, before we knew better. I never did it, though. I had my first speakers (XAMs) on shelves. My nest speakers were Polk Model 7s that had those stands that held them on an angle. Besides, they weren't wide or deep enough to put a turntable on.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

I never had a BIC, but I did have a linear tracking programmable Technics turntable. I can't remember the full model number but it was an S something or other.