Birds Of Prey

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Max Yokell, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Got free passes to go see this next Wednesday night.

Not super hyped but for free what fuck, Harley Quinn is kind of oddly hot.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  2. Max Yokell

Ok saw this tonight at the free showing and all I can say is I am in shock..

But really best place to start a story is at the beginning.

I got an email offering some free passes to Birds Of Prey. I had seen the trailer and I had reacted poorly to it, thinking it would be shit. :weary: I figured Noah would want to go but the theater was far, an hour + in rush hour traffic but figured I would cheap out and do the free show.

well today came and I actually pitched Noah twice on skipping it and staying home. Nope he wanted to go.

So we drive an hour cross town figured an hour early would be plenty of time. We pull up and there is a huge line and we get in it. We are right near the end. We read the passes and it says they can’t promise everyone would get a seat cause the intentionally over book to insure a full theater. Noah is feeling down and is sure we won’t get seats. I assure him that I have Karma on my side and that I put out so much positive into the world that everything will be fine. He grumbles and call me crazy. So we are standing at near the nd of this huge long line and a guy with a sign starts working his way toward the end of the line asking people a question as he goes. He gets near us and he is asking if anyone is a DCU member and is getting zero takers I said I am. He says does your free pass have a DCU logo on it. We start looking over the passes and sure enough there is a logo on it. I suspected that we got the passes from subscribing to a DCU but now it was confirmed.

Well the guy took us from outside at damn near the end of a huge line and brought us inside and lead us to the IMAX theater and took us up to a middle row which was reserved for DCU members and we were the only ones there so we had choice of seats. Noah was in shock, I assured him this was surely my karma at work. Anyway Noah was in shock.

The movie finally starts and before you know it I am kind of surprised that the movie isn’t bad and as it goes on shock starts to set in that this movie is genuinely a very good movie. Now let’s start by saying the Trailers had in no way represented that his movie had any chance of being good. If you watched suicide squad you know Harley was the best part and that while movie had the occasional good scene over all the movie was not very good.

I will say that Margo Robbie turns in a good job as Harley but they filled in around her with a quality script, a good bad guy played by Ewan McGregor, and Rosie Perez as a supporting character, toss in decent direction and songs in the soundtrack the feeling a lot like Guardians of the Galaxy. Wait James Gunn is directing a Sucide Squad movie and it seems he may have had some input.

This movie was fun, well done and actually a solidly good movie way better then I had ever thought possible.

So here I am shocked.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Barry_NJ and Denton like this.
  3. Max Yokell

Ok figured I would get a little more into the movie part this morning..

The basic premise is that Harley Quinn and joker have broken up and she is an ass hole but everyone leaves her alone cause she is Joker’s girl. So has word gets out that Mr J is out of the picture all the people she has wronged are out to get her. There is also a story about a diamond that is the key to a vast fortune and the bad guy is attempting to get it. Mix in Black Canary who works in the bad guys club as a singer and eventually his driver. Toss in a tough woman police detective ( Rosie Perez )who has had credit stolen from her on most her big busts. Than on top of that there is a psycho revenge minded loon out there in the Huntress.

The story works quite well at bringing everything together the direction is very tight. It is very colorful and it is a great action movie with tons of very well done over the top action set pieces.

I was very surprised to like this movie but it was beyond that, most of the acting was very good, Robbie and McGregor were wonderful toss in Rosie Perez who I haven’t seen in forever with a good solid performance and shocker this thing is good, much better than Suicide Squad and ranks right up there with Wonder Woman and Shazam as a good DC movie.

they basically set up a Birds Of Prey series, which I doubt Quinn will be part of but will likely Cameo in.

I found out this morning that Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me as it is pretty highly rated.
    Now here is where I tell you, that you should see this on the big screen with all the color and sound. We saw it in IMAX 2D and it looked and sounded great.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  4. Max Yokell

Actually going to see this one again with Noah and friends today.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  5. Max Yokell

So major flop this weekend but most critics seem to like it. Flop is being blamed on poor advertising and a failure to connect with a viewership. There seems to be concern that the R rating took out the young teen market. Word of mouth out of theater and pre-screenings has been excellent.

they are saying it took in 34 mil on Thursday and Friday, but sucked wind on Saturday. there are hopes it might rebound because the rest of the month is slow on anything new.

6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm guessing most people are just cautious because Suicide Squad sucked so bad. If its legitimately good hopefully some word of mouth spreads.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  7. Max Yokell

It is over 80% at RT in both critic and viewers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Barry_NJ likes this.