Bluray is such a hassle

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DYohn, May 23, 2020.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Yesterday afternoon my wife was watching the first Harry Potter movie on TV. I don't know what channel it was on but she kept having to mute the system every 12 minutes because of commercials.

From my office I call out, "What are you watching?"
    "Harry Potter"
    "Yes, but why deal with all those commercials? Don't you remember you bought the entire series on Bluray a while back? Just watch the disc."
    "That's such a hassle," she said. "I'll just watch it this way."
    OK, back to work.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I don't disagree. I don't own a single CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray any more. Stream stream stream.

3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

if all you wanna do is watch a Show...and not utilize ((surround)))
    in other words, turn on TV, tune in Channel & sit back,sorta like 1974,
    there ya go, commercials & all, Drop outs or momentary digital artifacts.

simple convenience rules the day

4. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Classic!! :tearsofjoy:

5. DYohn

More like laziness.
    We only have one system these days and surround is always on, by the way.

6. DYohn

So it's you clogging the tubes! :grinning:

7. jasn

jasn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

[Speaks into Xfinity TV remote]"Fast Forward Three Minutes"

DYohn likes this.
  8. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

“That feature is not supported!”

jasn and DYohn like this.
  9. jasn

Oh, but it is for my remote...

10. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

On many occasions when I’m streaming on my Xfinity X1 I get the message that FF doesn’t work. Seems that they want you to suffer through the commercials.

BTW, I have an X1 voice remote but have never used it. I guess I’m old school and tend to avoid voice assistants.

11. jasn

I used to have FIOS and it had a 1 min skip button. Loved it. Moved and have Xfinity now and they don;t have that button, but I learned that I can FF by voice control. It's the only time I speak to it.

Back OT, I own about 40 Bluray and 4K UHD discs, all of them either big-screen BBs or nostalgic remasters. Don't play them much but appreciate them when I do, especially for the soundtracks.

12. DYohn

<luddite alert> Jim, what happens if you are watching something in "real time", tell it FF through the commercial breaks several times, when the program is over? Does the stream feed "reset" and jump you back in time to catch you up?

13. jasn

If it's live stream the Xfinity DVR will buffer about 15 minutes of video, like if I pause it, then it will start playing automatically. So I can only FF or R if I have a live feed in the buffer.

IIRC FIOS had nearly unlimited pause on it's DVR and I could move around the house to watch on any TV. I miss FIOS a lot, for many reasons.

DYohn likes this.
  14. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I ripped my DVD collection and a number of BluRays to my server and use Plex for playback. I need a faster CPU for the BluRays and the best I can get is a 5.1 soundtrack so, I’ve kept the BRs close by for those time I want the “full effect”.

I do like streaming but, don’t really appreciate searching for things to watch. It seems like tons of titles that don’t really interest me and aren’t very highly rated.

And I’m with you David, I really dislike the commercials so I’ll do what I can to avoid them. As “jasn” said, I’ll let the recorder buffer for up to an hour before starting a show with commercials or just DVR the program. I do like it when the program has “smart skip” enabled which lets me blast past things when playing back a recorded program.

DYohn and jasn like this.
  15. DYohn

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. DirecTV is the same: to FF you have to have something in the buffer (my Genie 2 will live buffer up to 4 hours ahead.)

16. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Well, I'm a physical guy, I have thousands of CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray, plus a few vinyls, love them all, but I also stream; Spotify, Netflix, various play services. By any means necessary, I listen and see the things I want.

DYohn likes this.
  17. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

In general, I'm with Mikael, and I find the quality of my disc media far superior to the same titles via streaming. So if I have the disc, I do that, if it's something I don't have, well, I'll stream it, and if I like it, I'll pick up the disc.

18. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I remember years ago when Drew posted a picture of what it's like to play Physical Media, vs Ripping your Content and streaming it to your TV (or something like that). All of the FBI Warnings and Trailers you had deal with before watching the actual movie, vs. loading up a movie, and it immediately plays.

Nowadays, when a disc arrives (music or movie), I'm ripping it to my NAS. Bonus features aren't as plentiful as they were years ago, so I rarely rip that particular content.

19. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

A friend just gave me an 8TB NAS, so I'm very new to this. Does ripped to a local drive have better quality than streamed from a major provider? About how much content, at highest quality, can I store on 8TB?

He'd already installed Plex onto it for me as well, but I'm not yet sure how to rip my discs into Plax either.

20. DYohn

In my experience, streaming video quality from a local server is better since the bandwidth is much higher than what can be provided via the Internet. For music it does not make much difference (with equal quality source material.) YMMV.

Barry_NJ likes this.