Booking a trip to Oahu in May

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Ron-P, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I am in the final stages of picking a couple dates for a week on the island of Oahu in Makaha. My friend owns a condo there so that's covered. I've been keeping an eye on flights and it's looking like about $1k round trip via Hawaiian air for the two of us. We will be staying for 8 days.

Any tips, suggestions or ideas? Especially when it comes to the different airlines or deals that can be had to save some coin on the flights.

2. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Have fun.
    have ya ever been there before?
    Try & take a quick trip to the Garden Island- Kauai
    realx....enjoy yourselves. Get more inspiration for
    your jungle theme'd back yard

3. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Rent a car, drive up to Hauula and eat lunch at Papa Ole's. Then continue around to the North Shore and have dinner at Maui Mike's in Wahaiwa. :)

4. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Boy, you're way over there. I lived in Kaneohe. My must do list on that island:

Hunama Bay snorkeling. And Makaha.
    North Shore drive. Bring a boogie board. Or a surf board if you surf.
    Waikiki beach and the international market.
    We loved the Ala Moana mall. I don't know why, but we did.

Brianca lived there much more recently than me. I lived there in 91. You might PM him.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I've never been guys and am so excited to go. We are booked for 7 nights the last week of May. Gonna buy the airline tickets tonight. We plan to rent a car for the week, looking into fly and drive packages now. Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys!

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Check the different SoCal airports before you book. You might find a better deal from LAX or SAN rather than SNA. Check Long Beach, Ontario and Burbank as well. The extra drive to the airport may save you a bundle.

7. brianca

brianca Active Member

I'd pick shark's cove up north over hanauma bay for snorkling personally. there's some great stuff in hanauma, but it's pretty touristy and full of sunscreen. ;)
    sandy beach on the east side was always one of our favorites as well. that's also a good place to see some cool kite flying and para-sailing as it's pretty windy there.
    diamond head grill is a great place to eat as is the rainbow drive in. the must do tourist food is Duke's in waikiki right on the beach. great maitais and they also have a white russian made with ice cream that's pretty amazing.
    Of course pearl harbor, the mighty mo, and the pacific aviation museum. Really amazing places to see.
    We loved ala moana for some reason too. we used to take our kid trick or treating there every year. they have a great japanese department store there called shirokia that's fun to check out.
    Most of the luaus are pretty crappy IMO, but the Polynesian cultural center (PCC) is the best of the bunch. I'd skip if if I were you though.
    There is a cool torch lighting at the duke statue every night in waikiki that's pretty cool and fireworks in waikiki every friday night. if you're staying down there ask if you can get a room where you can see them or head down to the beach.
    The honolulu zoo is one of our favorites that we've ever been to. very small, but really nice. just on the east end of waikiki.
    driving the pali highway and stopping at the cliffs is pretty cool. it gets so windy up there you can often lean way into the wind over the edge for a thirll.
    if you're looking for souvenirs to bring home, check out the aloha swap meet at the stadium. you'll save a lot over the international marketplace in waikiki and it's right by pearl harbor, so you can do them on the same day.

that's a dump from the top of my head, but if you see something you'd be interested in, let me know and I'll give you feedback if we've done it.

8. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I can't believe I didn't mention the Pali lookout.

You should check that out for sure. We use to go there and lean into the wind and "fly". Beautiful views from there too. I bet we went there 50 times.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

brianca,
    Is that the same Dukes that's in Malibu?

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Ron,
    Assuming you mean Sun May 27th-June 3rd, I'm seeing Roundtrip Air from LAX to Honolulu (HNL) for $419 pp.

That's United, Continental and Delta. If you flew from Orange County, It's $200 more per person

11. brianca

brianca Active Member

Yep. Same place.

There's also a little sports/fishing bar out in hawaii kai called the shack that I used to go to for all the PPV UFC fights. When I moved to denver I found out, quite by accident, that there is one here as well. Very different menu, but the same chain at least. Now I catch a lot of the PPVs there and it feels like home. ;)

the chili there is pretty solid if you're out in that area. It's very close to hanauma bay.

12. brianca

brianca Active Member

One other thing I was thinking of that's pretty important. Not a lot of language stuff you need to worry about, but for directions, they don't really use north, south,east, and west.

mauka - towards the mountains
    makai - towards the water
    diamond head - towards the diamond head end of the island
    ewa (pronounced eva) - towards the ewa end of the island

Even the commercials on TV will say two blocks mauka of ala moana shopping center, so it helps a lot to know those.

it can be a little confusing because on the south side mauka is north and on the north side mauka is south, but you get used to it.