Boom goes the Marantz

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Ken McDaniel, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member

Lost the entire video board. Since I've already sunk about $600 into non-warranty repairs (pre-out board & power supply) I went ahead and declared myself back on the market. I haven't shopped around since 2010 and needless to say I've some catching up to do on formats, room correction, video processing, etc. I'm going the receiver route since adding a quality amp for just two channels ceiling effects would be cost and space prohibitive. Here's my short list:

Anthem MRX 1120 (everything I read says ARC is the shizzle)
    Marantz SR 7012 (I'm comfortable with the brand and the 7012 boast more power than the 7013)
    Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 (their orange lights are pretty and they tie in with my extensive Sonos collection)
    Sony STR-ZA5000ES (beautiful setup interface)
    Denon AVR-X6500H (with 11 channels, not sure if this is the right tool for the job)

My current setup is 7.1, but with attic access I can easily add 2 overhead effects speakers for 7.1.2. Been a bit since I've shopped around. This should be fun.

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Sorry to hear of your problem with the old unit. Glad to hear you're in the market! I, too, have heard the pleasant murmurings about Anthem. Good luck and have fun.

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  3. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

It is, and Anthem is highly recommended. It's what replaced my Marantz and I am very happy.

I also read a lot about Dirac being pretty shizzle, but I've never used it.

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Get the Anthem for SQ. The ONLY complaint I have is that it has a very dated interface.

Also I started a separate thread but Anthem is releasing ARC Genesis which is supposed to be a big step up. Its finally available native on OSX and its backwards compatible with the current gen products e.g the AVM60 and MRX series.

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  5. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

My heart jumped as I thought of my SR7010.....

The 7012 has the HEOS feature, which should also be available on the Denon as well. In addition to HDR10 Passthrough, the 7012 also has Dolby Vision and HLG Passthrough as well.
    The 7013 will get the Imax Enhanced update for 2019.

A set of amps to take over the load of the mains will increase the 7012 to an 11 Channel receiver. This is how my 7010 is configured at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Ken McDaniel likes this.
  6. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Just got word my Anthem MRX520 is ready to pick up, so I say, go for the Anthem :sunglasses:

Jay Brown, DYohn and Denton like this.
  7. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member

Spent the entire morning trying to resurrect the Marantz at the wife’s orders. Replicated the video fail (now with sound) about five minutes after every hard reset. I think it’s heat/age related. So I ordered a refurbished 1120 direct from Anthem. Should get here in about a week and a half. Only pain is not being able to watch movies upstairs for a couple weeks.

Dan S. likes this.