Boom goes the Marantz

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Ken McDaniel, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Well-Known Member

Lost the entire video board. Since I've already sunk about $600 into non-warranty repairs (pre-out board & power supply) I went ahead and declared myself back on the market. I haven't shopped around since 2010 and needless to say I've some catching up to do on formats, room correction, video processing, etc. I'm going the receiver route since adding a quality amp for just two channels ceiling effects would be cost and space prohibitive. Here's my short list:

Anthem MRX 1120 (everything I read says ARC is the shizzle)
    Marantz SR 7012 (I'm comfortable with the brand and the 7012 boast more power than the 7013)
    Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 (their orange lights are pretty and they tie in with my extensive Sonos collection)
    Sony STR-ZA5000ES (beautiful setup interface)
    Denon AVR-X6500H (with 11 channels, not sure if this is the right tool for the job)

My current setup is 7.1, but with attic access I can easily add 2 overhead effects speakers for 7.1.2. Been a bit since I've shopped around. This should be fun.

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Sorry to hear of your problem with the old unit. Glad to hear you're in the market! I, too, have heard the pleasant murmurings about Anthem. Good luck and have fun.

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  3. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

It is, and Anthem is highly recommended. It's what replaced my Marantz and I am very happy.

I also read a lot about Dirac being pretty shizzle, but I've never used it.

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Get the Anthem for SQ. The ONLY complaint I have is that it has a very dated interface.

Also I started a separate thread but Anthem is releasing ARC Genesis which is supposed to be a big step up. Its finally available native on OSX and its backwards compatible with the current gen products e.g the AVM60 and MRX series.

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  5. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

My heart jumped as I thought of my SR7010.....

The 7012 has the HEOS feature, which should also be available on the Denon as well. In addition to HDR10 Passthrough, the 7012 also has Dolby Vision and HLG Passthrough as well.
    The 7013 will get the Imax Enhanced update for 2019.

A set of amps to take over the load of the mains will increase the 7012 to an 11 Channel receiver. This is how my 7010 is configured at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Ken McDaniel likes this.
  6. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Just got word my Anthem MRX520 is ready to pick up, so I say, go for the Anthem :sunglasses:

Jay Brown, DYohn and Denton like this.
  7. Ken McDaniel

Spent the entire morning trying to resurrect the Marantz at the wife’s orders. Replicated the video fail (now with sound) about five minutes after every hard reset. I think it’s heat/age related. So I ordered a refurbished 1120 direct from Anthem. Should get here in about a week and a half. Only pain is not being able to watch movies upstairs for a couple weeks.

Dan S. likes this.
  8. Ken McDaniel

MRX 1120 on hand. Spent an evening mostly removing my previous system of separates. Yesterday ran the iOS ARC software (since we don’t have a windows computer). Love the results. Since my Marantz was dead I couldn’t do a direct comparison, but anecdotally... that room was alive. Watched Ready Player One and the sub was just mowing down the room. Hard pressed to notice any performance degradation from the Marantz and separates.

DYohn likes this.
  9. CJ

The iOS version is a pale shadow of the PC version. But, wait it out because the new version is coming soon and will be Windows and OSX.

10. Ken McDaniel

No doubt. No way my iPhone has near the microphone as the ARC. Looking forward to the Mac version. Really impressed overall, though.

11. CJ

They are very nice units!

12. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Congrats Ken. I was apprehensive going from Marantz to Anthem, but now I'm a fan boy.

CJ likes this.
  13. CJ

The electronics are really really good but the ARC is up there with Dirac. Some would say its 2nd place but those two are a huge step up from Audyssey.

DYohn likes this.
  14. Ken McDaniel

First place in my heart.

15. Ken McDaniel

For the last few years I've been skeptical of Atmos. I didn't know what ceiling or front Atmos speaker could add to the soundstage. Turns out: a lot. Spent yesterday afternoon popping a couple of ceiling speakers in front of the listening position and turning the 7.1 into 7.1.2. It's one of those additions that had me, like, damn. I did also learn that:

1. I don't do tight crawl spaces littered with HVAC and wiring all that well anymore.
    2. Gummy speaker cable doesn't slide through conduit even if it's in-wall rated. I hadn't done something like this in years and almost failed miserably. Get something with a slick shielding.
    3. In a tight space, hand saws work better than spiral saws.
    4. Thank heavens I had the builder run extra conduit from the gear closet. Otherwise this project would have been extremely painful. Which it was. Just not as much.
    5. Maybe the last time I crawl into a space like that ever. Last time I paid a guy to do it. I will do that next time as well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    DYohn likes this.
  16. CJ

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

The added depth provided by ATMOS and more importantly DSU are impressive and well worth it IMO. If DSU didn't work as well as it does I could see an argument that it isn't worth it due to the limited number of ATMOS tracks but DSU is amazingly close to true ATMOS.

18. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

isn't there some dust up over DOLBY
    only allowing DUS on their mixes...so,
    new products or those firmware upgraded will be effected.

I have not kept up with all the variations & recipes

19. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

20. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

in a pinch, I've sprayed cables with pledge and/or armorall prior to pulling.
    slick