Broke My Phone!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Dan Driscoll, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

My faithful Google Nexus 5X has been dealt a severe injury. It still works, but the screen is cracked and voice audio has gotten flaky.

I could live with a cracked screen for a while, but the bad voice audio is a real problem. After all, it is a phone and that is one of the primary functions for me.

I can't really afford the jump to an unlocked 5G phone yet and I prefer Google's pure Android, so I'm debating between getting another 5X, a Pixel or a Pixel2

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Derp, that sucks. I once broke my iPhone because a bird pooped on the screen. I tried to fling the poop off, and flung the phone straight to the sidewalk. Now the phone was cracked and still had poop on the screen. It was a great day.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Denton and Carl V like this.
  3. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check out the Android One phones. More options that are stock Android.

If you can find one I've been quite happy with my LG G7 One. There are Nokia and Motorola options too.

4. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

BlackBerry?’

5. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The Pixel 3A is still a preferred Android Phone considering it's specs and price.

6. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'd be wanting to hang on till 5G takes hold as well. Dan, perhaps you could stop in to a local phone shop (or try Ebay) and pick up something used to tide you over?

7. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I have a Motorola G5Plus it comes with a decent camera and have been plenty happy with it. I am not a power user, 4G is plenty for me. Suggest take a look at the Motorola line. If I were in your position I'd pick up a sub-$200 Motorola until 5G phones come down in price and there are more choices.

8. Dan Driscoll

I had planned on getting something used, but the Android One phones Dustin mention are looking interesting. I also need to swing by my local T-Mobile store and see if they have something decent, but cheap.

Call quality and connectivity are my primary considerations. I do use the camera, but mainly for reminders, comparing products from different stores, etc.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

I've seen a number of people making a big deal about 5g on this forum. I'll admit I haven't looked seriously into what it offers. But from what I have read it seems to me it will enable some cool tech in the future, but for how 99% of us use our phones, I don't see it making any noticable difference over LTE right now. Am I missing something?

pillatier and Jay Brown like this.
  10. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have a Straight Talk account with 25gigs. I've never reached 25 gigs nor 15, but the need to worry about data is no longer there. LTE Speeds are fast enough to where I do not see an advantage to 5G. Plus the fact that Phone reviewers of 5G (1st gen) phones have been stating that the battery life on these devices are terrible, unless they drop the speed down to LTE and below. With all of the Frequencies the Telcoms have been purchasing within the last few years, I'm sure there will be more digital features available besides Mobile Data speeds, such as ATSC 3.0.

11. pillatier

If buying used checkout swappa.com. Personally I prefer unlocked phone, as I am using an AT&T MVNO. I think buying from a provider store the phone will be locked.
    Amazon.com: Motorola - Unlocked Cell Phones / Cell Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

12. Dan Driscoll

No, you aren't. I had planned to hold onto my 5X for another year or more likely 2, then make the jump to 5G.

Don't get me wrong, 5G WILL be a major advance when it is fully implemented, but more for other devices and functions, not so much for phones. Think self-driving cars, actively monitored and adaptive traffic control systems, remote control of everything from aircraft to surgical operations, etc.

13. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

~shiver~

Sorry, Dan, my trust in modern tech is giving me a rash these days. :grimacing: Good luck with the phone.

14. Kenny Stultz

Kenny Stultz Member

FWIW, I just dumped my LG G7 early (I truly hated that phone) and got the Pixel 4XL. I think it's great. I know that's not the price point you're looking for but my FIL just got the Pixel 3A XL and really likes it. You might give that one a look.

15. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

If you’re handy and like techie stuff, checkout iFixit.com. You may want to buy a screen and repair your phone. I did iPad and MacBook Pro battery replacements following their directions which are very good.

16. pillatier

All based on Chinese Huawei 5G system that will turn all street lights RED. Perform surgical operations on the surgeons instead, cause planes to taxi round and round around the airport!!!! :laughing:

17. aussiefooty

aussiefooty Member

That's like me at the moment. I have a mobile that is an iphone 8 that has a cracked screen but have been told to wait. It works ok but i can change it after the warranty is up.
    I'm with Optus.

Dan Driscoll likes this.
  18. pillatier

Perhaps this will tide you over.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RX2XX8N/?tag=homthelou-20

19. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Ah yes, 5G. Probably cost a grand more than 4G.

20. pillatier

Yep. It's G more after all!