Calibrating a front projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Stefan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

I doubt I will spend the bucks to get a true ISF calibration for my projector. But I do want to do whatever basic settings that I can. I have Video Essentials that I bought maybe 10 years ago when I bought my first RP TV. But I guess things have changed since then. What is a good way to do calibration these days?

Stefan

2. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Play with stuff 'till it looks good.

3. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

Nah - doesn't work for me. I like going by a standard.

Stefan

4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Some of the monitor calibration devices for graphics professionals will work with projectors. They can be had for less than the price of one ISF and can be used on every display in your house. Check out Eye-One and Spyder/Datacolor.

5. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

I just used that DVD, Video Essentials or the other one, don't remember which one I got. I think there was a newer one on BD, and it said it was for calibrating HD displays, not sure how much of that was hype vs. any actual functional difference.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Well-Known Member

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Hand Forged video? WTF does that mean? Did they pound the tiny bits into the disk surface by hand?

8. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

Stefan, take a look at reviews for your projector. When I bought my Epson 6100 I found a review site that had suggested settings that produced a very good picture. It might have been CNET.

9. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Stefan,

You can use settings that you find on the web. With a projector, the screen you choose, your room and your projection distance there enters more variables than you find with just a TV. In addition the bulb will also change things over time. (The screen material can really change the color tone, contrast and brightness)

I would start with the calibration disk you have now as a starting point. You will need settings for dark room and some light in the room. You will also find that you will need to make changes on the fly since broadcast TV has such a wide variation of color from channel to channel. If you are using a single HDMI cable the settings you finalize for your DVD player may not be good for your cable box and other inputs you may use.

I find having several settings stored for day and night give me the ability to adapt to the changing inputs and light level. Sorry to make this seem so variable but in the end there will be no single perfect setting.

In the end I think Mike had it right.

RICK

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yeah, eyeballing it doesn't work. A Munsil disk will get you about 80% of the way there (assuming you have a blu ray player).

They created and hand picked video sequences that will be reference material to calibrate by.

For a starting point, go to AVS and find a thread that references your PJ, usually there are posts stating what settings they use. Typically, when a group of guys picks settings that work, you can pretty much go by those to get a baseline then use the Munsil disk to tweak it based on your room, projection distance, screen and PJ.