Can foreign-based VPN apps be used to spy?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Denton, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

That's WHY I use one. GFY.

Uh, if government employees can connect to government systems on an unencrypted connection that is the government's fault for running astonishingly shitty security. I'm working from home as I type this. If I run my work connection through a foreign VPN they can't see shit. Either federal agency security is dog shit or these Senators don't have a fucking clue what they're talking about. Probably both.

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Then there's this: Trump administration eliminates top cyber post

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

CJ don't you have to trust the foreign VPN not to be doing anything nefarious? Sounds like that is the concern here, that the foreign VPN provider cannot be trusted to give you a truly private connection.

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Two friends who are well informed and well connected. They are deep into cyber security and data authentication. Simply smiled. “There are degrees of trust and security. Sorta like Dante’s inferno.” Ask mr. amazon dot com. Some of their former colleagues are working overseas applying their knowledge for foreign govts.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Trust them more than say, cumcast, verizon, TW, etc? This was a rhetorical question, right?

7. DustinDavis

Correct, trust them more than those. What information does one have to say the "Chinese VPN" is more trustworthy? The word "private" in the software name? More direct knowledge of what the VPN is doing with your data either in transit or at rest?

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

China is ever vigilant with VPN crack downs. And the next gen. 5g from China and their ever expanding network linking/ app. Will always have access. “ great firewall” and we chat

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  9. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

That is no different from domestic VPN providers.
    Or rather, what you trust is the CA issuing the certificates used to encrypt. The whole PKI infrastructure is based on trust, and trusted certificate issuers, basically. And that goes for anything protected by certificates, not just VPN, also, for instance, SSL.

10. DustinDavis

Right, that would also be my understanding. What I don’t follow is why one would think that a domestic VPN provider would be more inclined to be in cahoots with the US government, or otherwise being monitored without knowledge, than would the Chinese counterparts. That just doesn’t even pass the sniff test to me.

11. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Well, putting my tinfoil hat on, I basically don't trust anyone, especially anyone having the US government behind them:

>10,000 Windows computers may be infected by advanced NSA backdoor
    Snowden: The NSA planted backdoors in Cisco products
    Help End Backdoor Searches of the Internet
    Exclusive: NSA infiltrated RSA security more deeply than thought - study | Reuters

Basically, US govt can and will do whatever it takes to the the info they feel they need. I don't expect other governments to be any different, only perhaps less skilled and able ...