Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Max Yokell, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Saw this one last night and it is another solid outing from Marvel.

It seems that they are almost running on cruise control. There is nothing wrong with the movie but Marvel movies all seem to have the same feel of craftmenship and perfection. I really love their movies but am getting to a point where they all feel the same. Think after Endgame they might just need to take a break.

Worth a view and might even see it again.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I understand what you are saying in general Max but I think that is a criticism of this film in particular. Its ratings were brigaded by incels so its hard to determine how many people are actually enjoying this movie but a common criticism even from those who enjoyed it is that its a little flat. That same criticism wasn't leveled at very recent films like Infinity War and Black Panther so it feels like it may legitimately be specific to this film.

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

I’ve had that feeling since Iron Man 1. And it’s never gone away...like I’m the one guy in the room of nerds not in on the big joke. :)

4. CJ

If you've had that feeling since Iron Man, you MAY be the only one in the room... :grimacing:

5. Max Yokell

Saw it again today and still it is a good solid movie, nothing wrong with it. Lots of good acting decent script but just no huge spark.

I really think that they should do Endgame and regroup take a short breather give people a chance to miss them a bit.

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Speaking of Endgame, I am curious about one thing, since Spidey was a victim of Thanos in Endgame, and I'm seeing ads for the 2nd Spiderman which releases in June, when is it set? Endgame releases next month, so either they win, (duh) or Spidey 2 is set before Endgame since it also has Nick Fury. So, huh?

7. Max Yokell

And Dr Strange 2 and Black Panther 2 have been green lighted....

Just don’t overthink it people don’t stay dead in the comics. :)

8. CJ

I'm really curious what they do here. Frankly at least a decade would be a reasonable break but will they let the cash cow rest or will they kill the goose?

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

They will never stop making these movies until there is a noticeable drop in the box office and there are no signs of the train slowing down yet. It looks like Captain Marvel is performing at or even above expectations at the box office so get ready for MOAR super people movies!

I enjoy a lot of the Marvel movies as popcorn entertainment but none of them "stick with you" the way good movies do. They all blend together into a big, overly lit, low contrast CG blur after a while; same beats, same tropes, rinse repeat etc etc etc.
    It is very telling that most of these movies are directed by "journeymen" directors or TV people; it’s why they feel like TV shows to me more than real films. And yes, I realize I’m probably in the minority on this view. :)

10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

11. CJ

The movie is controversial. There is a clear effort to brigade its ratings while on the other hand, there is a clear biased side overly praising what "COULD" be viewed as a mediocre movie packaged up as female empowerment.

12. Dennis Pagoulatos

Make no mistake:
    There is zero controversy except in the minds of idiots on the internet, which is not reality thankfully. Sound and fury signifying nothing etc.
    If you live your life on twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and YouTube comment sections, then it’s tough to cross the street without feeling offended or oppressed. There is an entire industry of paid media trolls that are literally employed to plant controversial opinions all over the internet and an entire legion of paid opposition trolls for them to argue against. This is supposed to generate clicks and therefore revenue.
    In the last few years, this tactic has been weaponized in the service of free (viral) marketing (and increasingly for political ends); you plant the seeds via your paid troll, then the sheep pick it up and take it from there...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. Dennis Pagoulatos

14. CJ

Being a financial success doesn’t mean it’s good nor does it dismiss comments like Max’s and others here that I’ve known for 20 years. I’m not talking about Twitter and Facebook.

15. murrayb

murrayb Well-Known Member

The wife and I watched it this afternoon. Splurged and saw it in Imax. We really enjoyed it. One of the best origin movies in the Marvel stable. Can’t wait for it to come out, hopefully in 4K.

Don’t understand the whining about being tired with the super hero movies. What nonsense. Whiner all. Can’t wait for End Game.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  16. Dennis Pagoulatos

No it definitely doesn’t mean anything regarding the quality of the film; that’s always subjective anyway. I’m just talking about the fact that any controversy surrounding the film is hot air generated online and with zero (or minuscule) bearing on reality.
    And I’m not talking about superhero movie fatigue here which is primarily what you and Max were musing about. I’m talking about THE FAKE "controversy" that has been raging these last few months about a) a perceived political agenda (by Disney....erm that seems like a wise thing to do), b) identity politics, c) a "racist" lead actress (lol) etc.
    my point is that the outrage surrounding A,B, and C exist primarily in the minds of a few paid people and the sheep that they manage to whip up into a frenzy online. The box office doesn’t prove it’s a good movie (spoiler: it’s a Marvel movie, draw your own conclusions about its quality), but that the outrage and controversy are inconsequential when faced with hard data, and money IS hard data.

17. Blake

Blake Member

Took my 11 year old and a few of his friends for his (late) birthday. I liked it -- weirdly, the music was off to me. I think it's because I graduated HS in 1995, and really don't listen to much music from that era anymore -- but it immediately took me out of the movie and into remembering stupid shit from HS. I'd like to see it again at home to be able to focus more on the movie and not be distracted by the music.

All 7 of the boys at this movie really enjoyed it. Both my wife and I enjoyed it as well. I liked the non-linear origin story, coming out in dribs and drabs through the flashbacks.

Pretty solid, not spectacular. I'd say in the top 1/2 of Marvel movies (is that damning with faint praise now that there are 20 of them?)

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Explain what you mean by this...what is the clear effort to brigade its ratings? By whom?

19. Max Yokell

Dennis,
    What controversy are you talking about? To me it is just another Marvel movie and a decent o e at that, but I am thinking Marvel needs to slow down before they burn out their fans. I know nothing of controversy on this movie? Larson is racist? What did she do. I read lots of entertainment news and haven’t seen anything on this stuff.

20. CJ

EDIT: I probably should start by saying, I didn't mean to say the movie is controversial. I don't think it is. There is huge controversy AROUND the movie.

Brigaded is a social media term (possibly spawned on reddit) that means a concerted, organized effort to damage, troll, or in cases of vote-based social media, downvote content or topics in a manner that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the content. E.g. if someone posts a youtube video I disagree with and I come here and post a link and ask you all to go downvote it (but on a much larger scale and usually very politically motivated.)

What does it mean to brigade a subreddit? : OutOfTheLoop
    'Captain Marvel' audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is being brigaded - Already has over 58,000 votes compared to 'Avengers: Infinity War' which only has 52,000 votes : marvelstudios

So in the case the issue and goal isn't "Captain Marvel is bad movie, everyone go downvote it." The goal is that there is a made up controversy that drives people's behavior without asking anyone specifically to brigade it. In this case the message is that mainstream studios are forcing an unwanted liberal agenda down our throats with these black (Black Panther) and female superhero movies that no one asked for (This covers the new Star Wars movies too. There is a HUGE incel backlash to those films). If you think this can't possibly be what is happening or that there can't be that many people who think this way I have very bad news for you. There are very poorly veiled racist and misogynistic subreddits that have tens if not hundreds of thousands of members who partake in these activities.

I believe audience score for Captain Marvel was actually locked by Rotten Tomatoes because on the server side you can literally trace that this is what is happening by where traffic is coming from. This of course just feeds into these pea brains that there is an anti-white-male conspiracy. EDIT: Its in the reddit thread. They deleted 54,000 audience votes as being invalid.

And finally, lest you think, who cares what Rotten Tomatoes says... to people like us it might not matter. To the general public it is HUGELY influential.
    How Rotten Tomatoes became Hollywood's most influential — and feared — website

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019