Car talk

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Drew, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Figured DIY is the best place for this. Maybe not even be much of a discussion on-going, but I'm coming up on 30k and plan on doing some/most/all of the maint I can myself so maybe more questions in the future the mechanically included will chime in. The $ numbers quoted by dealers are insane and differ greatly around me.

I hate forums where you get an answer with no explanation. Trying to find the why behind an answer is near fucking impossible. Example to start as an actual question. The newest 3rd gens (2016 - current) are regularly shit on at places like tacomaworld - transmission hunts for gears, poor low RPM power, diffs leak, diff whine, and on and on. Some are legit, some are just the vocal minority.

Ok, the actual question. 4x4 prop shaft u-joints. The 2nd gens have ~6 zerks to grease from front to back I believe. Some percentage of early 2016 3rd gens have two near the rear along with 2 up front in front of transfer case. But the 2017 offroad/4x4 have two total, all up front. People can speculate as to why (Toyota didn't care about the 32 people who cared to do the maint and no one else brought in their trucks for maint). But, why? Are they sealed bearings that don't require maintenance? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to this?

Anywho, post questions, bitch about previous vehicles.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. Drew

Looking at 30k maint and the things to check/do, I ordered a torque wrench and some other tools I didn't have. I can do the front and rear diff fluid change on my own, but would probably take it somewhere for the transmission fluid (kind of involved with the cooler and computer). I am impressed how they did the cabin air filter considering the nightmare shit i've see on the internet from other car companies (in the Tacoma it's literally a 10 second job). After 30k miles mine definitely needed to be replaced. The engine air filter is really clean still, but I ordered a replacement to have on hand.

I'm not yet due for an oil change, but with the longevity and less driving I'll probably do it after I get back next week from a trip to icehouse.

3. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I did the 15K service myself. Premium too, 6 quarts Mobil 1, filter, air filter and cabin filter. Saved $400.

4. carlthess50

carlthess50 Member

Tell me the list of stuff they said you needed at 30k. Really not much
    As for trans fluid, break and P/S. Really the only fluid that needs done at 30k is oil
    Most trans and break/ p/S are full synthetic and are considered life long fluids
    Post the list and I will tell you the how and whys. I’m a retired / disabled master tech of 37 plus years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Rick C likes this.
  5. Drew

The front and rear diff are to be inspected, recommended changed, transfer case oil. Seems like those doing their own work want to see how bad the read diff fluid is and check how much gunk is on the plug mag.
    Cabin and engine air filters. Everything else is basically check other fluids and top off, check floor mat installation, tighten bolts on chassis, prop shaft, etc. Fuel tank cap gasket? lol.

6. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

In California a leaking fuel cap gasket is a common failure point during a smog check.

7. Drew

And an easy fix. No issues here yet.

8. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

There was a radio show on NPR Car Talk - Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. They were simply hilarious.
    Car Talk - Wikipedia

9. pillatier

It is just too difficult to DIY regular maintenance on newer cars, too many covers just to get to the parts. My Audi needs to be up in the air to remove a cover just to get to the oil drain. Also, must follow owners manual recommendations for checks and fluid changes to maintain warranty.

10. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Spent this morning putting struts and sway bar ends on my son's Maxima. We also did the right side motor mount. I bought the front one, but it didn't look bad so I didn't change it. Even thought I pulled the fan and drained the radiator. Should have been a two hour job, but I couldn't get to the back of the bottom nut of the link so I just cut them off. And of course, my reciprocal saw was in the garage, but my metal blades were up at the house.

I'm seriously considering getting the Milwaukee Fuel M12 stuff for my shop. I've been eyeballing that electric ratchet for a while. But, I'm seriously in love with my Ryobi 1/2" impact. I have a big MAC air gun for high torque stuff, but I rarely even pull it out anymore. I had to use it once on the bottom strut bolt on this job. And my electric weights about half of my air gun. With my right shoulder is still mostly a mess (it's better, but still not super useful) the light weight really helps. I'm probably too deep in Ryobi to buy anything else.

There are a lot of covers on new cars. I had quite a few body clips to get off and I had to pull off all the clips. I swear I break more than I get out successfully. I finally broke down and bought this kit on amazon. Now I just pop them out and put new ones in.

I have my transmission flushed every 100K (and treated with BGs tranny flush) and I changed the filter/gasket/oring in my 2008 Tahoe at 200K. I've never even touched the rear diff. I think it's at 280K right now.

I've been a zaino guy for wash/polish/wax for a long time, but I went out and bought the turtle wax hybrid polish/wax and the ceramic spray coating. I did my tahoe with a chemical brothers orange pad on my orbital buffer and it took more time than my zaino takes on my old cars, but it did clean up my Tahoe pretty well. Finished it off with the ceramic coating and it's held up pretty well. I live on a dirt road, so I'll give it a wash in a few weeks and see how it holds up.

Anywho, that's my car stuff for the week. I did buy a new disk brake spreader. This one. I have a full service kit for brake pads, but I thought I'd give this a try on really odd shit I use c clamps on. :grinning: We'll see how it goes next brake job that comes in.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

You guys are amazing. This week I considered taking my car to have someone else wash it, then decided against.

DYohn likes this.
  12. Mike B

Before covid, I drove over to the "full service" place and checked in. Then walked across the street to the sushi bar and had lunch. On the way back from lunch I'd stop at the hardware or the dollar shop and get a couple things.

Then I'd walk back to the car wash and still have to wait.

For the oil changes I got these. Good for today's low cars with air dams.

13. pillatier

Wow! That's a lot of work. Even if I had the access to a facility with all the available tools I likely wouldn't have the patience.

Wax/polish - I used to use 3M Show Car paste wax. It was a lot of work. I have been using Rejex (RejeX® - Official Site) on the new car. It is not ceramic but repels water very well and bugs don't stick as hard. It is like a lotion consistency has a very fine polishing compound built-in and it smells like Stoddard solvent. Apply like a wax allow to dry wipe off no buffing needed. It is a favorite among some boat and also small plane owners, they claim it lasts a few years. I have applied it three years in a row only because I hate to see it dry out still have third of 16oz bottle left, and being retired need projects to keep myself busy.

14. Drew

I'll call the dealer on Monday. Toyota issued a recall on 2016+ tacomas for rear diff leak, all but the off-road models. Technically mine isn't under recall but would be under warranty (60k for drive train.

Was greasing the zerks on the prop shaft and was inspecting other things.

Attached Files:

15. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Woohoo! Looks good

16. Mike B

Yeah, that's not a serious leak. Any driveway spots?

17. Drew

No. So they will prob just torque the bolts

18. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Had to take the Volt in for a recall this morning. Something about "loss of propulsion" and "inability to charge" so they are going to replace a bunch of stuff in the battery control system even though I haven't had any issues. Inability to charge an electric car would suck. :) Oh, they gave me a Mercedes GLC300 to drive while the Volt's in the shop. Nice vehicle but I hate burning gas.

JeffC and Bent like this.
  19. Drew

Called a service dept (not the one I bought from) for a quote on some of the 30k work (front and rear diff fluids and xfer case) and to look at the rear diff (this one is closer). Figure if there is a problem with the diff they'll be doing work anyway. If it's a gasket or some other issue it's under warranty and they'd cover it anyway. Might as well have then to the xfer case and front diff while it's in.

Service dept said bring it on down and they can quote a price. Yeah, I'm good.

20. carlthess50

carlthess50 Member

In the all data and Mitchell’s service manuals that wet spot on the rear end or front end is within acceptable parameters. The only thing to do would be to take it apart and re-do the silicone sealant for it. Most the time they use a cardboard gasket or just silicone for but if it ever starts doing it, rarely will you ever get it to stop it basically starts from the torque twisting of the drive train

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk