Choosing a Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Television' started by Jack Keck, May 17, 2020.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

We have had Spectrum cable for several years. Now they want to raise our rates by ~$50/month. I think this might be a good time to cut the cable and try one of these streaming services. I have narrowed it down to two, Hulu + Live and Youtube TV. I understand that I could buy antennae for my TVs and use a less expensive streaming services to get what I may want that isn't available over the air, but I don't think I could teach my wife how to work that. I can't think of a better place to either get clarity or total confusion than here at the Lounj.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Rabbit ears.

Jack Keck likes this.
  3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Spectrum may make you a deal for their streaming service, at least for a while. We are using YouTube TV and have been happy. Streaming is a different kind of animal from cable, and there is a learning curve. Prepare yourselves.

Jack Keck likes this.
  4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Jack, you are looking in the right direction. I think Hulu might be a good start, you might even do the bundle that includes ESPN+ and Disney + as well.

it is a big step to take,

Jack Keck likes this.
  5. Max Yokell

Oh also if you have Amazon prime they have a bunch of included streaming stuff as well.

6. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I bought a Roku device yesterday and subscribed to Youtube TV. I set this up after my tech challenged wife went to bed.

I damn near had another coronary when I woke up to find that she had the tv on and had found the channel she always watches.

This may work out better than I could have hoped for. I found that I had to re-calibrate the color on the TV.

Denton likes this.
  7. Max Yokell

Roku is good it is very intuitive much better than Amazon Firestick, I haven’t seen Apple TV in forever so can’t make fair comments there.

Just remember if you have prime set the app up lots of good stuff there.

8. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I never considered Amazon Prime. Maybe I'll look into it.

9. Max Yokell

Oh I am not suggest getting it for the video option, I am suggesting that if you are a prime member you should not over look the prime video option.

there is also a music app with tons of free music as well.

lots of people seem to have prime just for shipping and shopping reasons but don’t take advantage of the other options.