Colossal Loss!

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by John Celardo, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

1. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Notre Dame Cathedral is in flames and the spire collapsed. This is an indescribable loss to the world.

30970591272_6c42954d97_z_d.jpg

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Absolutely!!

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Yeah this was like a gut punch walking by the TV today at work. I wonder to what extent they can/will rebuild and how bad the damage is. The word this afternoon is they saved the main structure, which didn't appear to be a given this morning.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I also read that Notre Dame is one of the more well studied architectures in the world if not the most and they have recently done a full laser scan of the cathedral. I'd guess between donations and insurance they will not be hurting for money to rebuild. the dude who is the CEO over a holding company of a bunch of luxury brands and is also currently banging selma hyek pledged 100 mil euro. That and the church has a penny or two lying around.

5. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Colossal but fortunately not a total loss. I heard as of today $400 million pledged from big donors. Apple is likely to donate too. I do have a controversial thought - if the purpose of rebuilding is to restore an International cultural architectural treasure then the money is well spent. But if it is rebuilt again as a Catholic church then the money is likely better spent in doing God's real work in actually helping the poor in form of education, healthcare, housing etc. specially in African countries from where poor are migrating in droves to Europe for better life.

Bent likes this.