Cord-Cutting 2.0?

Discussion in 'Television' started by Jay Brown, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

About 2 weeks ago, I received a notice in my email from Youtube TV that they were raising its monthly rate from $35 to $50, in addition to adding new Channels to their lineup. Without hesitation, I cancelled my membership for the service.

Now I'm left with OTA Channels from my Antenna, plus my Plex DVR which records shows I like to view. Because I'm a Spotify Premium user, I can access Hulu (with ads) for no extra charge.
    It's not the fall so I'm not worried about missing a lot of College Football, but for 5 bucks a month I can subscribe to Espn Plus.

So the saying "Improvise, adapt, overcome" has entered my head again and I'm ok with it.
    I knew Direct TV raised their rates a few weeks prior to Youtube TV, so it was an expectation for Youtube TV's service to rise as well, but not by 15 dollars.

Are their cheaper alternatives available, yes, but it's just no longer worth the headache. Before you know it, the rates of these Streaming services compared to a Cable/Satellite subscription would be just as pricey.

Get out more, read some books, listen to more podcasts, music, etc etc etc.........my brain is trying to tell me something.

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Sadly, Jay, there are signs that streaming (as you noted) will cost even more than cable for many. Netflix may be my first dump.

3. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

So true. I know Netflix is increasing their price, but a 2 to 3 dollar jump is all. Getting rid of YouTube TV will more than make up for that.

I think for now the saving Grace for me is Hulu (with ads) as a free add-on to my Spotify Premium subscription. I won't be able to view content "live" but I know it's available to view at another time using Hulu.

Netflix is still on my mind regarding overlapping content along with Amazon Prime, and I do plan on testing Disney Plus this fall when it arrives. Considering all of the Marvel/Disney content will be jumping ship to the new service, that may be enough for me to unsubscribe to Netflix. Until more details arrive about Disney, I'll stick with Netflix.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

My vote.

Jay Brown likes this.
  5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Well, I was already at $45 so the price jump for me was only $5 and I'm still between $95-$105 cheaper than when I had cable... And there are still a few huge advantages over cable besides the pricing.
    1. With YTTV you can share an account with 6 people. While this might not matter to you and it doesn't help me where my other four plan sharers are already suckling off my teat metaphorically, for millennials who can share a plan with their parents or friends who don't even live under the same roof it can be significant. Roommates can share a cable bill but you can't split cable with someone who lives in a different house like you can with YTTV.
    2. Unlimited DVR. Some cable services offered such huge DVRs that the last few years this might have been moot but not that long ago running out of DVR space or more critically conflicting recordings were a very real thing. I can record 10 shows that air at the same time and I could literally record every show that airs if I chose to.
    3. Piggybacking off the last one, using cable required equipment rental. This wasn't true 4-5 years ago but is a big reason why people's cable bills ballooned from $1xx to $2xx or $3xx in my case.
    4. No contracts, and piggybacking off #3, no equipment to return if you want to cancel, or pause your service. If you want to take the summer off you can save $150+ by just cancelling and reactivating in the fall. Relevant for many sports fans I know who don't really watch TV after March Madness until football starts. Can't really do that conveniently with cable, especially with the equipment factored in.
    5. Portability. I remain surprised how useful it has been to have access to my TV shows outside of my house. Some cable/dish providers have added this but none of it works the same as the in-home experience unlike YTTV which is literally the same app wherever you are.
    I'll close with a few other comments... one of which is I predicted this years ago. The content owners are still going to get paid and all you've done is fracture the landscape. Be glad that despite price raises it is still substantially cheaper than cable. Secondly, entertainment overall is in real dollars, let alone inflation adjusted, massively cheaper than it has ever been in history. 30 years ago cable was $50 a month and it wasn't the 200 channel affair. It was maybe 30-50 channels. Today you can get YTTV for that same price, get double the channels, DVR, access anywhere etc. OR you can get one of Netflix, Hule, Prime etc. for $10ish and have access to thousands of shows and movies on demand. Its a good thing.

6. John F

John F Active Member

Although I can see prices going up for streaming, shouldn't it be cheaper than cable and satellite? No cable/fiber to run, no satellites to launch, no technicians needed to visit customers, ...

I can see the cost going up due to "what the market will bear", but shouldn't there be some savings?

7. CJ

It is drastically cheaper IMO. People are complaining about apples and oranges. You can’t compare cable to YouTube TV or asking or DirecTV NOW PLUS Netflix, HULU and Prime all together. I already had Cable, Netflix and Prime.

8. John F

John F Active Member

Call it whatever kind of comparison you like, but you now have much, much more to compare, and switching is now doable; you now have a much better choice than just what cable/Directv/OTA offer.

9. CJ

Right and it’s cheaper even IF you insist on every service which isn’t necessary nor a valid comparison was all I was getting at.