COVID-19 advice

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by DYohn, Mar 6, 2020.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

From the eminent pathologist Dr. James Robb:
    Date: February 26, 2020

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California, San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
    The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip – do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home’s entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can’t immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average – everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you – it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth – it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY “cold-like” symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!
    Jim
    James Robb, MD FCAP

Dr. Robb is a recognized expert in biospecimen science with over 50 years of experience in molecular pathology, virology, and genetics. He is board certified in anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, cytopathology, and dermatopathology. Dr. Robb is a consulting pathologist to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research (OBBR).

Mikael Soderholm likes this.
  2. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Adopt using Indian Namaste - no touching involved.

In a pinch make sanitizer gel at home with Aloe Vera gel, drug store alcohol USP and a few drops of oil. Oil to act like a moisturizer. You can substitute rubbing alcohol too, but make sure it does not get diluted below 60%. Alcohol content between 60-75% (70%) is most effective for sanitizing action. In real pinch 35 proof (70% alcohol) vodka by itself will also work. Soak a handkerchief or paper towel with the vodka and use it as a napkin.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Vodka will not work. Typically 80 proof (40% alcohol, you got the multiplier backwards). In any case not strong enough, more importantly a waste of a good buzz.

Barry_NJ and Jack Keck like this.
  4. DYohn

Clean with cleanser. Drink vodka.

5. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

I went to the supermarket yesterday, and the two women stocking the medication aisle laughed when I asked for hand sanitizer. I buy 2 liter plastic jugs of cheap vodka at Trader Joe's that I use for making pie crust. It's 80 proof, so in a pinch...

6. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Good advice, and confirms what I fear, but hasn't really been widely said, we'll all get it, it's just a matter of when, and how bad.

Barry_NJ and DYohn like this.
  7. pillatier

Oops! My bad I got the proof and % mixed up.

8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

So do we wear rubber gloves everywhere like weirdos when we're still all inevitably going to get it? Some lady in Fremont, a "suburb" of Omaha just got like 7 places shut down for two weeks after traipsing around to events last week and then testing positive for COVID-19. I'm getting on a plane next week. What's the answer?

EDIT:
    Two family members of first Nebraska COVID-19 patient test positive for coronavirus

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Enjoy yourself and have fun.

Barry_NJ, Jack Keck and DYohn like this.
  10. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I do all the basic stuff, keep hydrated, wash my hands, and exercise. If that ain't enough to fight off a coronavirus infection, then I guess it jlust my time to go. I can't see freaking out over this.

11. DYohn

Whatever happened to the advice about sealing your house with duct tape against the latest end of the world virus? This time around I guess the advice is to hoard toilet paper?

pillatier likes this.
  12. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Ok boomer, That is soooo last century

DYohn likes this.
  13. pillatier

It is not deadly to healthy persons, at most it will be like a bad case of the flu. I am reading that mostly like a light to moderate case of the flu. Carry a travel size had sanitizer and use it often. Just like the flu it can get troublesome with someone with asthma though.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  14. pillatier

I heard Aussies are hoarding TP so much so they had to put limits on it.

DYohn likes this.
  15. Carl V

hmmm, bidets might help

Barry_NJ likes this.
  16. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

Ha! David, you jogged my memory of the SARS (?) thing. Maureen asked me to stock up on duct tape and plastic sheeting during that scare. She got pissed at me when I questioned the usefulness.

DYohn likes this.
  17. Carl V

Uh?! How long you been married???
    Yes, dear. That sounds fine dear. Uh huh! Sure thing. Gray or black tape?

18. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

This it isn’t deadly to healthy people is BS I saw an interview with. 34 year old Healthy dr from New York who was infected and he was saying he doesn’t know how much longer he has.

it is not just killing old and those with health issues.

19. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Please don't fear monger. I am really loose with what is allowed here but in this particular topic I'm going to expect any sensationalized reports to link to credible news or government agency reports. I've updated my earlier posts with links to what is going on in Nebraska and provided more links below. People don't have to go back and edit posts but going forward, posts making claims without sources will be deleted.

Will a healthy 34 year old die? Yes. Will a child die? Yes. But as with seasonal flu that is always the case. The CDC statistics overwhelmingly support the narrative that the very old are most at risk of real complications or death.

Death rate statistics are also assuredly skewed HIGH as the CDC has stated 80% of individuals who contract COVID 19 will have mild to no symptoms. This was reiterated on their March 5th call which you can find on the CDC youtube channel.

Doctor who treated first US coronavirus patient says COVID-19 has been 'circulating unchecked' for weeks

Who is getting sick? A look at coronavirus risk by age, gender, and more

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Barry_NJ likes this.
  20. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Dont mean to fear monger but was watching a you tube video last night on New York city cases rapidly increasing it was ABC or CNN and in it they interviewed a Dr who was healthy and 34 and was now in very bad shape.

I am not trusting much of the news on this topic, but I guess my area will soon be one of the bad areas as we have a large cruise port, and were early on in testing positive. Hell we had a positive a few mins from where I live.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CJ likes this.