Covid related articles from Medscape

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by pillatier, May 4, 2020.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

The ICU doc experience is telling. Many of these front line healthcare workers will need mental help soon. These are not healthcare practitioners trained/used to seeing war injured or even experienced in the MSF/DWB front line work at epidemic hot spots in third world countries.
    Reminded me of a Vietnam war nurse - who said I have had too many young men about my age die in my arms asking for mommy.

I saw on TV that MD governor has secured 500k tests from Korea (through his wife's connections, she is of Korean decent) and he is hiding those for the fear of being confiscated by the FEMA. The FEMA has done that with needed supplies procured by other states, counties and hospitals. What a mess.

Attached Files:

2. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I don't know what the problem is.

Trump said we have all the tests we need, anyone that wants a test can get one. And they're beautiful tests.

3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Uh huh! And we’ll have a vaccine by the end of the year. We’ve been lied to for decades. War on drugs. Bosnia. Iraq Iran. “Mission accomplished”, you can keep your doctor. Etc etc etc. both sides of the aisle. Both sides of their mouths.

And pundits wonder why people are not all that optimistic.

Italy is more grateful to China ( choke) than the the magnanimous EU / Germany.

4. pillatier

We are going to recover the $1billion we had to spend for the pandemic China gave us - tariff the Chinese imports.

5. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

Since I got mostly Cs, and a few worse, in college, I'm not sure I want to take a test.

Denton and pillatier like this.
  6. pillatier

Few more -
    Just curious where do you fall in the continued social distancing vs economy debate. If the national or even State decision was up to me - I will err on the side of health and life over the dollar.

Attached Files:

7. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Here's the actual directive listing Covid-19 patients as "permanently disqualified" from Army enlistment:

Attached Files:

8. Carl V

The ARMY /DOD Doesn’t want ya if you’re positive. That’ll effect recruitment. I wonder how legal will deal with all the false positives.

9. pillatier

So DoD will not recruit recovered volunteers but they are keeping those already in service - either these folks are fit or they are not. Makes no sense at all.

The suspicious side of me thinks it is subtle means of minimizing non white recruits - there have been more infections among people of color and Original Americans.

10. pillatier

Two for today -

Attached Files:

11. pillatier

Two more -
    Pandemic is causing drop in children vaccination

Vitamin D a prophylactic? Just don't go about taking high doses it is a fat soluble Vitamin and will accumulate too much as side-effects.

Attached Files:

12. pillatier

Two more - Data still out on efficacy of convalescent plasma. HCQ is ineffective but dangerous, data from 100,000 patients.

Attached Files:

13. pillatier

Getting the flu shot early this year is likely a good idea for all of us. Hopefully this years blend is better than 2019.

Attached Files:

14. pillatier

Doctors association sue FDA for limiting HCQ access Wonder where they graduated from.

Attached Files:

15. Carl V

Florida ..... I kid I kid

16. pillatier

"...That harms the rights of its member doctors to prescribe as they see fit, causing "economic injury," the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) argues in its suit, filed in a Michigan federal district court on Tuesday...."

"causing "economic injury," " - A doctor friend commented perhaps they took the hypocritic oath.

17. Carl V

Off label application of drugs is always a gray / grey area. Defending thru economic injury is a reach & not PC. bad optics in today vernacular

18. pillatier

Doctors can prescribe any medicine off-label for any indication. The risk is all on the patient for any harm and the doctor for potential malpractice. The insurance may not reimburse though. FDA has no regulatory authority on off-label prescribing, as far as I know. However, FDA's safety labeling requirement by law may indirectly limit access from national stockpile.

19. pillatier

Covid-19 can go to the brain.

WHO says asymptomatic spread the virus is rare. But in an interview with Dr. Fauchi I saw last night he is not convinced. Personally I will take WHO claim with large grain nay teaspoon of salt until there is more data. In that same interview Dr. Fauchi said he thinks the world has to go through 3 or 4 cycles of the Covid 19 infections before we know well how to manage it. He did not use the words pandemic or epidemic.

Attached Files:

20. Carl V

100 years ago the Spanish Flu had three go rounds.
    the second year was worse than the 1st year
    We just don't know, it's all speculation at this point.

pillatier likes this.