Crutchfield SpeakerCompare

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Kenny Stultz, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Kenny Stultz

Kenny Stultz Member

I got a new Crutchfield catalog yesterday and they are touting their SpeakerCompare technology. It's supposed to let you compare sonic differences between speakers in the privacy of your own home. You tell them what kind of headphones you're using, pick a few speakers to compare and then listen to sound clips they've recorded using the different speakers. They will even sell you a "SpeakerCompare Listening Kit" that consists of some headphones and a DAC/heaphone amp that they recommend.
    It turns out I already have the headphones they want to sell (Sennheiser HD 280 pro) so I gave it a try. Maybe the problem is that I don't have a external DAC (I plugged them into my PC), but I was unimpressed. I could hear differences but I can't imagine buying speakers based on what I heard. My wife summed it up pretty well with a wisecrack along the lines of "It's not the Magnolia Room".
    If anyone wants to try it, the link is www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare.

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

It is a cool idea though. :)

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I'd go the Magnolia Room but I'm afraid Tom Cruise would be there.

(Sorry... carry on Kenny)

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Earl Geddes was toying with this a while ago.

Geddes on Waveguides - Page 303 - diyAudio

He had the head for doing binaurial recordings of speakers in his room. Without a custom HRTF to adapt that head to sound to you like it was recorded on one that matched your own head it lost something. But apparently even without it, although it didn't sound exactly like they would in person, the ranking you'd give of the binaurial recordings matched the ranking you'd give the real speakers.

If standardized recordings can be made this could be a very valuable tool to narrow your list to a number you could audition in your home paying for shipping. And if you really trusted the concept, decide exactly what to buy. Although you'd get a lot of disappointed people when their room didn't work as well as the room the speakers were recorded in.