Daily carry bag

Discussion in 'Everyday Carry (EDC)' started by Andrew Pratt, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Like many of you, I need a good bag to carry my work laptop, lunch, accessories and occasionally a jacket etc. I’ve been using a Kensignton backpack that was functional but not as professional as I wanted and while svelte it was a tad small for those days I needed to pack a light jacket. A coworker introduced me to Tom Bihn’s gear and that got me seriously looking at upgrading so I acquired a Cadet bag and so far I love it. They’re pricey but exceptionally well made and it’s the perfect size as a daily carry all.

What are you guys using?

2. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I either use nothing or a huge suitcase on wheels - :)

3. Andrew Pratt

I’ve been flying a lot more this year so also invested in a better carry on suitcase ( Eagle Creek expanse hauler). I refuse to check luggage unless absolutely necessary. Packing cubes are fantastic inventions so you don’t need massive suitcases. We donated all our large units to a Salvation Army type store. Good riddance IMO

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

Swiss Army backpack. Cannot beat the form factor. I don't know anyone who is judging a person's professionalism based on what sort of bag they have. I used to have a Kenneth Cole leather bag. Weighed a ton before I put anything in it, and nowhere near as easy to carry, use, etc. That Tom Bihn stuff looks nice. But if I was buying I'd still go with a backpack.

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I have a Swiss backpack and my pockets.

6. Andrew Pratt

I’ve swapped back and forth between backpacks and messenger styles bags. The Cadets a messenger but lacks the big flap many have. In my typical office work it isn’t an issue but I’m finding myself in more formal meetings with vendors more frequently. Plus I do like the functionality of the cadet.

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm using Tom Bihn. I have a Synapse 25, two Daylight Backpacks (these are our Disney bags), a Daylight Briefcase for EDC to work, two Yeoman duffels for travel, and a bunch of their pouches.

Going to move this to the EDC forum BTW.

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  8. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

My laptop bag is a black leather Washington messenger from Cole Haan. I use a Tumi Voyageur soft-side carry on.

9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

10. Andrew Pratt

CJ not that it’s nearly as expensive for you to order TB gear but if you need additional Absolute straps consider the Op/Tech SOS instead. Optech holds the patent for the design and so the SOS and absolute are nearly identical. You can get the SOS for cheap on Amazon and for us canucks it makes it about half the price.

A week later and I’m still very impressed with the cadet.

11. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

12. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

When laptops were heavier and I had to carry folders, briefs and other related crap, I used a Tumi audit bag. Heavy but expandable and lots of gadgets. It had a great laptop suspension shock harness as well. I now use a company issued High Sierra laptop back pack which holds my lightweight laptop, a bunch of cool pens, charging chords and a wireless mouse. I also have a mini bag for my macbook if I am doing some work on the side and do not want to use company equipment. AKA, boat club financial presentations. Oh how things have changed.

13. Andrew Pratt

I have a STM macbook messenger that I thought was going to be fantastic but it is simply to thin to be useful unless all you need is an ultrabook laptop and a pen.