Disney World Trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Chris Slade, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

It's time to go to Disney again, my son is 10 now, so I think we need to go soon. He has been once before but he was young, the thing he enjoyed the most was the resort pool. He doesn't remember anything.

Initial plan would be to stay at a Disney property and basically keep the trip to Disney stuff. I think we would be thinking early to mid fall after kids are back in school. I have been there maybe half a dozen times, but I never really did the planning.

Just looking for any tips, recommendations or suggestions you guys might have.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Research and understand the fast pass system and maximize the rides you want. Get online and register the day your passes open.

I would recommend staying on property to anyone who can afford it. The overall quality and Disnefication of the resorts can't be beat and the transportation to and from the parks is amazing.

Do at least one of the resort dinners depending on how long you're staying (Hawaiian luau at the Polynesian, Hoo-De-Do Revue, etc.)

Time permitting use transit connections to get off at one of the premium resorts just to look around the hotel and grounds (e.g. The Grand Floridian, Contemporary, etc.)

Have the kid do the scavenger hunt if you go to Epcot. I love Epcot and whatever it takes to get my kids to actually go around the whole park is a god send. I think now its a smart phone app. Years ago you actually checked out flip phone that was programmed for the game. Also they have a kids passport that they can take around and get stamped.

Do character dining. Its a bit girl oriented with the princess meals but there are other character dinners that aren't princess.

My favorite places to eat around the park are the drive in and 50's prime time cafe at Hollywood Studios, Be our Guest and Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom, and Via Napoli at Epcot. We've never found a favorite place at Animal Kingdom because none of my family aside from me eats ANY ethnic food.

I recommend purposefully under-packing a few clothing items and buying at Disney Springs (again if you can afford) to have a souvenir you can wear right away.

Bring a daypack. Something light with very little structure. We always take two Tom Bihn daypacks. They're like halfway between a sack-pack and a regular backpack. More comfortable than a sack-pack but so light and unstructured you can pack one within the other until you need the second.

3. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Say hi to Mickey Rat for me.

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

We loved staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Be sure you stay on the side facing the safari.

5. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

We used the park hopper tickets and it worked out great. There was an event over at the Hollywood Park my daughter wanted to see (the current American Idol was there when that was big) so we went over, watched him parade and rode back. It was just a nice feature for us.. It also included an early entry morning. Your hotel will too so you can get multiple early starts.

Dole also sells Pineapple whips there and they don't sell them anywhere else but Disney and the big Island (that might not still be true). If you like pineapples, get one. They are amazing on a hot day.

Don't break in shoes at Disney. You'll walk a lot. Take sunscreen and think about hats too if you like wearing them. The sun will be brutal in Florida.

Have fun. My wife and I may have liked Disney more than our kids. :D

6. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I took my wife for her first time, in our twenties. It was a spur of the moment thing and I almost got arrested in an airport, Toronto I think. Our flight was cancelled etc. One of the few times I actually truly lost it over a service type issue. It ended up working, we had at least one extra stop, but we got in early I think. Once we finally arrived and we stood in front of the castle she lost it. It was a place she never thought she would get to see. That was my best moment every in Disney. I agree Disney is great for adults.

7. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I'm torn about replying but I'll do it anyway. :) Those of us living near Disney find it a mixed bag. Take Jeff's suggestions seriously. Avoid going during peak summer months. Crowded conditions plus incredible heat can cause anyone to lose it. (Many a climate change denier has been cured by a day at Disney.) I'm glad at least some visitors enjoy it and I'm especially glad to hear that adults can still get a kick out of 'the happiest place on earth'.

8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

We never do park hopper because we never leave the park. I hear about coworkers leaving to go take a mid afternoon nap. That is madness in our family. We're there at rope drop and leave when they kick us out.

Blake likes this.
  9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Will be doing 2 days at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim soon while my step daughter attends orientation at UCLA. Disneyland and the California Adventure beckon.

10. Mike B

Have arrived West LA. Drinking rum & coke. Watching the world go by on the 405 right under my balcony.

11. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

If your kid(s), or you, are even a little interested in Harry Potter I highly recommend Universal Studios...the Potter world they've created there is quite incredible, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Kings Cross Station, Diagon Alley, Ollivander's Wand Shop.
    Universal is a blast.

12. Mike B

Yes, Hogwarts castle was incredible!

Jason Lorette likes this.
  13. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

Been there done that. Even my son at eight was not really impresses.

14. Mike B

Well then we must be really lame pukes.

Denton likes this.