Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DYohn, Jul 3, 2020.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Don't watch this Netflix movie expecting to learn much about the actual Eurovision contest, and don't watch it expecting a typical Will Ferrell over-the-top slapstick comedy. Don't watch this with a critical eye or ear for the obvious lip synching, synthesized voice manipulation or outrageous costumes and staging. Don't watch this expecting deep character development or serious acting (with the possible exception of Dan Stevens' deliciously stereotypical Russian billionaire pop star) and don't watch it expecting an accurate depiction of Iceland or any other European nation or its people. But do watch it. It is surprisingly enjoyable - even for me who normally dislikes Will Ferrell - and the music, while pure Euro-pop trash, is quite thrilling, and some of the singing (again looking at Dan Stevens whose baritone voice should have been showcased in Downton Abbey) is quite good. This had several genuinely funny moments, some beautiful scenery, and a predictable feel-good story line that has been done a million times before but somehow never quite like this. Give it a shot. 3 stars.

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I stayed awake through the entire movie! I loved the costumes and staging. I will need extra BDNF supplements but I am otherwise unscathed! 2.5 stars. :wink:

DYohn likes this.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I really wanted a Will Ferrell version of Popstar, but this wasn't it. But it was enjoyable to watch for a lot of the reasons David listed.

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

If I ever go to a costume party again I want to wear Will Ferrell's silver Viking outfit from the fantasy music scene.
    pdc_eurovision1.jpg

5. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

And I want Rachel's facial moles. And then I will toss them into the sea.

DYohn likes this.