Food Road Trip; Where would you go?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Zak, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine and I were talking last night about a mega food road trip as we dreamed of what we'd do if we won the Powerball. We had a pretty good list and with the recent Steak thread thought this might be fun.

So, where are some places that you'd hope on a flight, rent a car, bike to etc for an amazing dish you've had in the past? I have a lot of places on my list but wanted to hear some of yours!!

First stop for me would be Kansas City and hit Jacks Stack bbq. The best ribs i've ever had, and i've had a lot of ribs over the years.

2. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

When I was a more active motorcyclist, here are the "food rides" I went on that I didn't regret. :D

Twisted Root Burger Company - Dallas, Tx. Hamburgers and fried pickles. Good stuff.
    Gates Bar-BQ - Kansas City, Mo. - Best BBQ sauce on the planet and a burnt ends sammich that will change your life.
    Interstate BBQ - Memphis, Tn - Best pulled pork sammich. Really excellent.
    The Shed - Ocean Springs, Ms. - Best hot links I've ever had. BBQ was pretty good too. But the hot links? Damn.
    Versailles - Miami, Fl. - Go here for Cuban when I'm in town. I generally get the Ropa Vieja or whatever my Cuban buddies recommend. Always good.
    Hawaiian Time - Eugene, Or. - Order the teriyaki beef with a scoop of Mac salad. Sub out the white rice for another scoop of Mac salad. It's like crack cocaine.
    Voodoo Donuts - Eugene or Portland, Or. - Oh boy. Good donuts. Really good donuts.

That's my short list.

3. JeffC

Shit, I left out my favorite!

Lou Malnati's - Chicago, Il. - The BEST SAUSAGE PIZZA on the planet. Just incredible.

4. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Dude, Lou's is simply amazing!! Though I much prefer their pepperoni pizza but I know you love all things sausage. ;)

Salt Lick in Austin is my stop for Brisket & hot links.
    Hattie B's in Nashville for their Hot Chicken. Amazing fried chicken with a lot of spices.
    Herbies in Marathon Fl for their mangrove snapper fish & chips. I'm not a fried seafood person but damn that snapped, fried in panko crumbs was out of this world.
    Thurman Cafe; Columbus OH for their burger. Best or tied for the best burger
    Old Homestead; NYC. second or tied for the best burger. Very pricey but very good.

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'd start on the New England coast. Lobsters, hard clams, steamer clams, oysters, flounder, blue crabs, softies, blue fish. Work my way south and add grouper, stone crabs, Florida lobsters, gulf shrimp. Add the cajun classics, crawfish, gumbo, blackened catfish, etouffe.

And of course some BBQ and a few steaks when I need a break from all that fish - :)

6. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

We take road trips to three places to eat. Florida in stone crab season and Charlston SC and New Orleans to eat at all the great restaurants in those cities.

7. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

that's cheating gents. Where would you go and what wouold you order there????

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

If I only had 1 choice and off the top of my head..

Franklin BBQ in Austin, for the brisket, preferably a whole one, with flat & point sections.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

It blows the doors off Salt Lick.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Here's what I would do for Food Road Trips:

Central Coast California - "Santa Maria BBQ" - I hesitate to call it BBQ as it's just grilling Tri Tip.. Several Places to visit like AJ Spurs, Jockos Nipomo, F McLintocks, and Hitching Post (from Sideways)
    San Francisco and Napa - From the fresh seafood to the sourdough to the best restaurant in the US (French Laundry) to Bottega in Napa. Lots of great food and wine up there.
    Austin & Lockhart - The Brisket Belt. If you are into Smoked Meat, this is the mecca. From Franklin to Blacks or Kreuz's, you can't go wrong.
    New Orleans - This seems like a no brainer
    Dallas - Steak out - Some of the nations best Steakhouse are here.
    Maine - I'd lobster roll myself to death :) The best of the best.
    Kansas City - BBQ. Another Mecca of smoked meat. Frankly I find Gates & Arthur Bryants are overrated. I much prefer LC's, Woodyard, Jack Stack & Joe's.
    Chicago - Pizza wonderland. Many people think of Chicago as Deep Dish but their thin crust is the real secret.
    Raliegh/NC- BBQ. If you are into the pig and the vinegar, this is it. (i'm not)
    Connecticut - New Haven - Legendary Pizza and the first burger in the US is a go for me!
    Baltimore - Crab Cakes and Pit Beef make me happy.
    Philadelphia - Everybody thinks of Cheese Steaks but I think of some of the best Spanish Food and the Roast Pork Sandwich.
    Omaha - Steak out baby!
    Albuquerque - Green Chile mania. They put it on everything and it's good!
    NYC - From 3 Michelin star fine dining to street food, I think this is the mecca of good food.
    Charleston SC - From Low Country Shrimp and Grits to one of the best restaurants in the US (Husk), this place has you covered

11. JeffC

I've never had hot chicken. It's high on my list.

12. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

I was surprised when you had Austin & brisket in the same sentence, but Franklin wasn't mentioned.

[​IMG]

13. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Sorry, don't have many specifics, been a long time since I was there. Too long, that's why I'll be going back. Maybe the places I knew are gone now?

But in Miami Beach, there will always be Joe's Stone Crabs. And I'll be having their namesake.

In Orlando there used to be Gary's Duck Inn, been closed for decades. A terrible loss I can assure you.

End of October, we travel to Detroit for my buddies daughter's wedding. We'll be eating lots of egg rolls at Chins in Livonia for sure - :)

14. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I go to South Beach Miami for stone crabs at Joe's. I go to St. Augistine for Cap's on the water. I go to Vero Beach for the Ocean Grill. Do you want me to start at Charleston or Nola?

15. JeffC

I've never been to Charleston. So, I vote Charleston. :D

16. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I've only spent one night in Austin. I drove by Franklin but the line was insane. Went to Ruby's instead and found their food ok at best. We had Salt Lick for dinner and I must say it was the best brisket i've ever had. Need to make it to Franklin's though. Green Street Meats in Chicago is probably second for a restaurant, my team mates brisket and my brisket are better but still nto as good as salt lick.

17. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

IMO it's worth a trip to Nashville. Plus Nashville is a damn cool city!

18. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

I'm nowhere near as well traveled as a lot of you, and a I can't afford some of those high dollar places, but I have a few favorites

NYC - Carnegie Deli for Corned Beef and Katz Deli for Pastrami. But Katz id the clear winner for me. Plus, a good bagel shop.
    Baltimore - Pappas for Crab Cakes. There are many places I've been to - having grown up in Baltimore, but Pappas is my favorite right now. Of course, steamed crabs and steamed shrimp smothered with old bay. The corner Stable for baby back ribs. Prost in Cecil County - great German food
    Chicago - Giordannos for Pizza. I like it better than Lou Malnati's
    Washington DC - Old Europe - great German food.

Oh - and Shady Maple :)

19. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

HA Shady Maple. I've been to their buffet once and my wife has never been and we live 10-15 minutes away from it. My mother in law took our girls there once and they raved about it, mostly because of the desert buffet. We go to their grocery store all the time though.

20. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

Actually, I'll be there in a week for breakfast. It's a friends birthday and you eat for free on your birthday. He invited me. Who am I to say no :)