FS: MMF-5 Turntable Package

Discussion in 'For Sale/Trade Lounj (members)' started by Dan Driscoll, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Everything you need for a complete vinyl rig, except the phono preamp. This package sounds very good, I only took it out because I started down the multi-channel music path last year and replaced my Rotel RC-1070 stereo preamp with an Audio Refinement Pre-5 MC preamp that doesn't have a phono section. Along with other changes in my system, I simply don't have room for the TT anymore.

Music Hall MMF-5 turntable - ~7 years old, but has very low hours for its age. The dust cover has the usual swirls and marks, but otherwise the TT is in very good condition, 8/10 on the Audiogon scale. It has the stock glass platter, felt mat and original belt. Also included is the original Goldring 1012 cartridge, but it is not installed.

Audio Technica 440ML cartridge - ~3 years old, also very low hours, scarcely broken in. I found this cartridge to be a significant upgrade over the stock Goldring 1012, low level detail retrieval and frequency response is improved, plus tracking is notably better.

Accessories - Turntable basics carbon fiber brush and cartridge alignment tool, Shure SFG-2 stylus force gauge and Last record & cartridge cleaning kit, w/8 extra cleaning pads.

I do have the original box, but it is single wall, so I'll double box for shipment. I'm pretty sure I also have the manual, but it is only 2 pages and mostly warranty info. Hopefully I'll be able to get pictures up later today. I also have a stash of vinyl, mostly classic rock, but haven't decided how to dispose of it yet.

I'm only selling as a package, the AudioGon price will be $475 or $500, members can have it for $450, plus shipping & insurance. Paypal is preferred and I'll split the fee.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2007
  2. ArtieK

ArtieK Active Member

Hmmm...

3. Dan Driscoll

[James Earl Jones voice on]

ARTIE, FEEL THE FORCE, YOU KNOW YOU CANNOT RESIST THE POWER OF THE DARKSIDE!

[JEJ voice off]

:devil2:

4. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

This would be a pretty good setup to start with, Artie. That's a good TT/arm/cartridge combo, and you'll start with a decent set of tools, which people often forget about. You'd still need a phono stage, but there are multiple options at various price points. This is definitely well above the "It's not really worth getting into vinyl unless you're willing to spend X" knee in the curve. IMO :)

I used to have a Rega P3, which is a comparable turntable. I took it over to John Beavers' place one day, and it kinda embarassed his fancy $6K French CD player. Not bragging or anything, but... you know, just to give you a frame of reference and stuff ;)

5. Geof

Geof Member

As Saurav wrote, a good TT can embarass a lot of high end CD players, with a good recording. An excellent TT can make you wonder why we have changed from vinyl to CD.

... but they are not as user friendly, unfortunately.

6. ArtieK

ArtieK Active Member

IF ~

Could someone look at this and see if I could use this or if I would need a separate phono pre? The wording is confusing.

http://www.questforsound.com/preamps/preamps_consonanceCyber222.htm

IF ~

I have no more room on top of my rack, so i, have to put either the tt or top loader cd player on a separate stand over by the wall amp for the sub, about ten feet away from the main rack. Which should stay on the main rack? Earthquake tremors have to be considered, because I have an aide who weighs ~450lbs and sometimes the cd player skips when she walks by, and the main rack is in the heaviest:( traveled area of the room. Off to the side there's basically no traffic, so the arm skimming across a record is less likely. We already put one 4x4 brace in the basement, maybe more would help?

7. Dan S.

Dan S. Active Member

If I had the cash right now I would be all over this. Good luck Artie, one more great piece to a great system.

8. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

You also don't really want a TT in a corner where bass modes build up. Other than that, off to a side shouldn't be a problem. Put the phono stage close to the TT, run the long interconnects from the phono stage to the preamp if you need to, not from the TT to the phono stage.

The product you linked to looks like a regular preamp, not a phono stage. Unless I read it wrong. This page has the phono stages:

http://www.questforsound.com/analog.htm

9. ArtieK

ArtieK Active Member

OK thanks Saurav. It won't be in a corner, it will be mid-wall. And I was wondering where the long ICs should go, so you beat me to that one.

You're right about the pre-amp, but why does it say phono RCA jacks for inputs? That's what confused me

10. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Phono is also a term used for the RCA connectors. As opposed to say XLR, which is what most balanced cables use. Yeah, that can throw you off sometimes. I think using 'phono' for 'RCA' is old terminology.

11. ArtieK

ArtieK Active Member

I think the stars are aligned, I may be ready to take that step I've been able to resist until now. After hearing Larry's dac, and him saying vinyl was that much better again, I knew I was doomed!:eek: And such a deal.

12. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Well, don't expect this TT to be better than Larry's DAC, Larrys' talking about TTs that are in the same realm as his DAC :) But I'm pretty sure you will be pleasantly surprised, even though I know you have a very good digital front end right now. The rest of your system is just begging for vinyl , IMO ;)

Now you need some Stevie Ray Vaughn on vinyl. I'm tempted to send you my LPs just so you get a taste :)

13. ArtieK

ArtieK Active Member

Yeah, I know this is just getting my foot in the door. I don't expect miracles. Yet. But it will be a lot of fun.

14. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

What was that you were sayin' a few weeks ago...

:lol:

Have fun!

15. Dan Driscoll

Artie, just say the word and it's yours. If you're interested in some or all of the LPs I have, we can make a bundled deal, so you have some music to get you started. :)

I bought a lot of about 25 LPs of assorted metal and rock a few years ago, some of it is real death metal and freak stuff, most of which I've never listened to. But I also have some very good LPs that belong in pretty much any collection of rock or jazz. I've sorted everything into 3 groups, Group 1 is top quality, both in condition and desirability. All of these are re-mastered re-issues and most are on heavy vinyl. I'll let others describe the benefits of heavy vinyl.

Group 2 is mostly in decent condition and desirable if you like the band, although some of them probably need a good cleaning. Some of these are original releases that I've owned since the late '70s and 80s. The 3rd group is albums I know aren't in good condition or that I never listened to.

FYI - a lot of the albums I listened to frequently have been treated with Gruv Glide and have the letters "GG" written in the side 1 label. That includes most of Group 1.

Group #1

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colosuss - This is the Prestige Hi-Fi mono on180 gram vinyl. IMO this is the finest recording ever made and I'm not even a big jazz fan. I believe this is out of print

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - 200 gram, double album, ATCO pressing, out of print

U2 - Rattle And Hum - Double LP on 180 gram vinyl

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood - 180 gram vinyl

Elton John - Madman Across The Water - This is the 180 gram DCC pressing. It's not the black label version, but that's the only one better. Out of print

Neil Young - Harvest

The Doors - The Best Of The Doors - Double album

Group #2

Billy Joel - 52nd Street
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Duran Duran - Rio
    Styx - Pieces Of Eight
    Neil Diamond - Hot August Nights - Live double LP
    Bob Seger & TSBB - Against The Wind
    America - View From The Ground
    Quarterflash - Quarterflash
    ELO - ELO's Greatest Hits
    Loverboy - Get Lucky
    Loverboy - Loverboy
    Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire (Soundtrack)
    Journey - Escape
    Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross
    Kansas - Two For The Show (Live double LP)
    Kansas - Vinyl Confessions
    Kansas - Audio-Visions
    Asia - Asia
    Toto - IV
    Toto - Hydra
    Alan Parsons - I, Robot
    Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
    The Who - Meaty Beefy Gig And Bouncy
    The Who - Who Are You
    Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures
    AC/DC - Fly On The Wall
    Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Yes - Relayer
    Yes - Tormato
    Yes - Drama
    Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits
    Elton John - Rock Of The Westies
    Supertramp - Breakfast In America

Group #3
    Rick Springfield - Working Class Dog
    Blackfoot - Tomcattin'
    Sheena Easton - You Could Have Been With Me
    Pat Benatar - Crimes Of Passion
    Molly Hatchet - Beatin' The Odds
    Big Country - Steeltown
    Big Country - Wonderland - 2 copies
    Bladerunner - Soundtrack
    Midnight Express - Soundtrack
    Black Flag - Slip it In
    Dayglo Abortions - Here Today, Guano Tomorrow
    Destruction - Eternal Devastation
    K-Tel Power House = Compilation
    Stars On Long Play II - Compilation
    Rock On - Compilation

16. ArtieK

ArtieK Active Member

You know I've been fighting this and trying to convince myself that it was a bad idea and wasn't even possible for a long time. But I finally accepted that given my amplification (845 SET monoblocks & tube pre-amp) I'd be missing out on a big opportunity , because as Saurav says, it practically cries out for an analog front end.

The moral, as ever ~ never say never:D

Dan, PM'ed you and a lot of those LPs are looking like they want to be included:cool:

17. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

18. Dan Driscoll

Sale Pending :D

19. cjd

cjd Active Member

Indeed!

The old Technics I have right now still needs to go back to my mom's system now that I've fixed the motor. (Though I need to get a phono pre to fully verify it's back working correctly).

And I have a few interesting albums now. Some PDQ Bach, some Heifitz... and I think some Jimi. ;)

C

20. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A bit late to the game but F*#in' A!!!!!

And in many ways, this 'table will be better than the Reimyo. I mean that in all sincerity.

LB