HTL MotMC - February - Gone Baby Gone

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

GONE BABY GONE: Dennis Lehane's novel of the kidnapping of a little girl from a working class Boston neighborhood has been competently and impressively brought to the screen by Ben Affleck. With his brother Casey starring as a private investigator hired by the distraught aunt, and assisted by his partner/girlfriend Michelle Monahan, he must win over an uncooperative team of detectives and their Captain, as well as the missing girl's mother, an irresponsible and out of control addict.

The plot moves swiftly and soon becomes a complicated web of misdirection, and moral dilemmas. It certainly will have the viewer caught up in all the emotions involved. A strong supporting cast is headed by Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris. Amy Ryan as the unlikeable mother gives a raw performance that may see her nab a Supporting Actress nomination. One of the year's best so far. 8.5/10

Added by CJ:
    DVD - http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Baby-Cas..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202829636&sr=8-1
    Blu-Ray - http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Baby-Blu..._bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202829636&sr=8-3

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Sean80

Sean80 Member

Caught this today. Really enjoyed it as well and I hope Ben Affleck can do it again.

3. George Bellefontaine

George Bellefontaine Member

Looking forward to seeing this.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Resurrecting this thread since Gone Baby Gone is being released on DVD today. It was one of my favorites of last year, and I think I'll give it a second look. Amy Ryan did indeed receive a supporting actress nomination. This is dramatic stuff, but well worth a rental.

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm making this the HTL movie of the month for February. I haven't seen it but will make a point of it.

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

Good timing. Just ordered the blu ray from amazon yesterday...

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

Planning on snagging the BR disc. I'll report back.

8. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease Active Member Top Poster

I watched this one tonight. Great Film all the way. I loved it!

9. George Bellefontaine

George Bellefontaine Member

Powerful stuff. I was hooked for two hours. At the conclusion, I was disgusted by Casey Afleck character's decision ( the correct moral decision isn't necessarily the correct moral decision in the end ) and I was left thinking about the film long after it ended, but that was exactly the director and co-screenplay writer Ben Afleck's intention for his audience. An excellent film with some excellent acting by young Afleck, Ed Harris, Morgan Freeman and Michelle Monaghan. This one sticks with you.

10. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Active Member

Watched this movie yesterday. And I agree, this movie will stick with you. I know what I would have done, but I'm left thinking what is truly "moral" in this situation. Excellent film.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  11. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

I asked *somebody* to pick this up for me the other night. She purchased a Blu copy of We Own the Night instead. I'll hang on to it, but, will buy GBG soon as well.

12. chad

We watched this tonight on Blu. Wow, what a real,gritty feeling film. Karl, I guess morals and ethics would be like the angel on one shoulder and devil on the other because I know what I would want to do but don't know if I could live with it. At the same time, I know what I should do, but, don't know if I could live with that either.

13. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Active Member

That's why this movie sticks with you... Haven't had a movie have that effect on me in quite a while!

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I've got a couple of comments, but need to get specific. So, if you haven't seen the movie yet, don't read further:

SPOILERS

First, I think that killing the pedophile weighed heavily on Casey Affleck's conscience. Even though he was slapped on the back and treated like a hero, I think he felt that he committed a sin and that morally, it wasn't up to him to be the executioner. (Not to mention legally as well. Just how did he get away with it?) I would say that in the context of the story he couldn't allow the little girl to remain with Morgan Freeman. Even if he felt it would be better for the girl in the long run. Morgan Freeman was complicit in a kidnapping, and two murders at the hands of his detectives.

There was an interesting alternate ending in the special features. The film opens with Casey Affleck's voice-over: "I always believed it was the things you don't choose that makes you who you are: Your city, your neighborhood, your family." The film ends with him babysitting for the child he 'rescued', feeling that her mother will probably go on in a lifestyle that puts herself first and foremost. In the alternate ending, it is the same scene but there's another voice-over with Affleck saying: "I was wrong about what makes us who we are. It's the sides we choose and the stakes we make and who we leave behind." Director Ben Affleck in his commentary says that he decided to remove the voice-over to make the ending a bit more ambiguous.

To be honest, the ending voice-over is still ambiguous to me. Who is he talking about? It seems to be himself. If it is, did he choose the right side and make the right stake? And who is left behind? His girlfriend? Any thoughts on this?

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

I viewed the BR disc last night and indeed it sticks with you. I could find little fault in the film as the performances were well done. I had to kick up the dialog levels a bit as the accents + the level of the soundtrack made it tough to understand their vocals during the quieter passages. I'm still amazed that Casey Affleck's character got away with what he did. I guess it got covered up much like how Ed Harris's character said he planted evidence to do "The right thing".

I give it a solid 9 out of 10.

16. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Active Member

Watched this last night after reading this thread and it was one of the best movies I've watched in a long, long time.

The story is a bit convoluted but we worth in my opinion. I'd have to say 9.5 out of 10!

17. chad

Shane, we had no troubles with the dialog,but, it was just the dd soundtrack.

18. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Member

Saw it yesterday and it is a good gritty film that draw you in and has you questioning the characters decision at the end. I could see both sides to be honest. The girl may have been happy with the cop but he was involved with 2 murders and a kidnapping. The natural mother may have been a bad choice but it was a choice that had been taken away from the girl.

19. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert Active Member

Missed getting this in for Feb by a couple of days, but got a chance to watch it today.

What a riveting film. It's rare that a film comes along that actually challenges you and makes you think about what choices you would make. I have a feeling this one will be sticking with me for awhile.

Great acting, and Ben did a terrific job with the directing.

20. brianca

brianca Active Member

Watched this one last night. Missed the correct month by a few days. ;)

I thought it was really solid. The acting was top notch all around. I thought the story was a little too convoluted without it really being necessary for the morality play within it. They could have pulled out a few of the ticks and made a more powerful movie IMO. There were a few holes with motivation that made the convoluted nature of the plot stand out, but otherwise it was a solid script as well.

I would hope that I would act almost exactly like casey's character did throughout the film as I agree with almost everything he did. Of course, you never know how you'll react in such situations until you're in them.

Definitely a though provoking piece.