HTL MotMC - November - Reign Over Me

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Nov 2, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=homthelou-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000QFCCR8&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=homthelou-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000QFCCRI&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

From Amazon

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Dan S.

Dan S. Active Member

Good call. I picked this up but haven't watched yet. I'll get on it so I can have an opinion.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

My take:

Reign Over Me (ROM) is to Sandler what Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was to Jim Carey. Sandler was brilliant in this role. I think if Sandler wanted to continue down a path of mixing some serious roles into his career, he is certainly capable. Done Cheedle and Jada Pinkett Smith turn in their usual seamless performances. That's not a dig, its a compliment.

There are certainly splashes of humor throughout the film that keep you from descending into the same depression that Sandler suffers and keep the pace on track. One memorable scene involves Cheedle and his partners in his dental practice. I thought the main characters were all pretty well fleshed out and I was satisfied with the ending. I think this film was well directed and acted and it certainly received critical acclaim, yet it remains accessible. I'd give it 4-4.5/5 stars.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

The movie kind of dragged on for me. Sandler's performance was great as well as the rest of the cast, but felt it could have been shorter.

5. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

I thought it was excellent. There were times when it seemed a bit slow, but overall not bad. I thought the duo ( Sandler and Cheedle) could have not been picked better. There are MANY movies out there where you can see other actors in various roles, but I can't see anybody else in these two roles, hell, I thought Liv Tyler was just about perfect for her part as well.

The only downside to this movie is that it does not have a high rewatch value for me. It was a rental as I am getting more and more picky about which titles I am buying. When I do get a BLU player I MIGHT pick this up, otherwise not. Really glad I saw it though, I thought the soundtrack was great and I might purchase it.. I don't usually buy soundtracks.

The PQ of the SD was pretty good at times, but it had some really bad parts but I thought the SQ was good considering the nature of the film. 4.5 out of 5 for me. The -.5 is for PQ and the occasional slowness.

6. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I liked it, I really liked it. While I have no way of identifying with Adams character, so my natural tendency is to say let it go, I guess in viewing the film, it made me prefer to think that some folks are so into their family that this loss is something akin to loosing ones self.
    Or the belief that they could have stopped it or been there instead.
    I dont want to get all psychological here, so I will just vote this an 8.

7. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Member

A good film which I don't need to rewatch. Cheedle and Sandler were good. Jada was the weak link for me. Played every scene the same way.

8. Dan S.

Dan S. Active Member

I thought the film was well done but it really just didn't do anything for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood or I just didn't connect with anyone in the movie. Glad I saw it, but probably won't re-visit it for a long time.