If you are considering a 4K TV this year WAIT!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Jan 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

2. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I think 4K is a really long way off from mainstream. The bandwidth and storage requirements are insane- even with the new compression codecs being rolled out. And you need to sit REALLY REALLY UNCOMFORTABLY close to even the largest displays (65"+) to really appreciate the resolution upgrade over 1080p. AND, this is all watching perfect high bit rate demos at stores. Your locally streamed 4K content won't look anywhere near that good- and probably still worse than the 1080p video from Blu-ray disks.

Until internet speeds catch up- which requires infrastructure that takes years, maybe decades, to put in place, 4K will remain a buzzword- sort of like "HD" is already. :D

3. Allen

Allen Active Member

I heard from some yesterday who attended CES: there is 8K on the way, supposedly (something demo'd that's only a prototype, I believe).

I don't believe 4K will catch on, either - unless you get to insanely large screen sizes, the consumer won't see the difference from regular HD.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Meh, you could say the same thing for 1080P when it came out.

Right now there isn't much if any price premium and you won't have much of a choice but to buy one in the near future.

My only concern is whether or not the new sets have the proper HDMI 2.0 connector. If it's the current low bandwidth one that it's in receivers today, then pass. If it's the new 18ghz bandwidth version, we're set.

5. Dennis Pagoulatos

I think I had read that one of the Japanese broadcasting companies has been toying around with 8K for a few years already. This might be the fruits of that labor you are reading about...although 8K is exponentially more niche than 4K :lol:

Don't get me wrong, the moment there is a reasonably priced 4K front projector (under $5k), I will be all over it for my main HT/ gaming system. Even if I'm just upscaling 1080p content for a few years, I know that it will be worth it on a really large projection screen.

6. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

The content is coming, and the codec implementations are getting better. Amazon and Netflix both have some 4K content in their streaming catalogs, and it might very well hit OTT before it hits regular cable TV. Our marketing guys predict 2016 for 4K to take off (if it does). Although I think both the 2016 World Cup and Olympics will be primarily broadcast in HD, so that's one big potential needle-mover gone. Right now all the content owners and service providers are playing with it, but only for onesy-twosy channels, mostly to get their feet wet and learn the technology. And yes, Japan is pretty much in the lead.

7. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

See I got my Epson PJ just a year ago and I knew eventually 4K was coming but I figured I would get 4 or five years from it and so far I am still pretty happy with it. I could see 4K making the picture a little better on my 106" screen but seriously from normal viewing distances I don't think it is huge in the 70 and under screen sizes.

Max

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

Wife wants us to replace our living room set (50" Panasonic Plasma) with a new TV. Likely going 4k.

We'll see what's out in May.

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Cool. Let us know what you find when it comes time to go shopping! :)
    I'm thinking of replacing the old plasma in our bedroom at the end of the year, so there should be a lot of 4K options by then, and hopefully a little cheaper than current prices. I'm not completely sold on "needing" 4K any time soon, but if the prices are low enough and I'm shopping for a new TV, it would be crazy not to consider a 4K model.

10. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me right NHK experimentally broadcast some of London Olympics at 8K at special viewing sites in Tokyo and a few other major cities.