Joker origin movie (ugh)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jul 19, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

'Joker' Origin Movie Lands Fall 2019 Release Date

This is another example IMO of DC getting it wrong. One, I think Phoenix is straight up miscast. Two, this is now the third actor to play the Joker in a relatively short period. Its a huge bummer that Heath Ledger died and not just because of the impact on your IP, but to have Jared Leto play him for one movie (Suicide Squad) and then a couple years later move on to Joaquin Phoenix?

I'll say this, I like Phoenix and think he is a very skilled actor that is not afraid to play weirdos so we'll see. But, maybe they should have just not greenlit this at all.

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

I so wanted the DCEU to be good but they just can’t get out of their own way. I mean they kick it off by giving Zak the reigns and let him sucker punch the DCEU with his whole style over substance. So far every movie has had some great scenes but sucked as overall movies with the exception of Wonder Woman.

Really Jack as Joker was great Ledger surprised and out did Jack, Jared just up and sucked and I think This latest casting news show they suck at casting as much as Marvel is good at casting. :(

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Ok Ytrailers look awful but sudden praise calling it an Oscar worthy performance combined with a $5 credit and last night I went.

crap it was really uncomfortable but very good. Left me wondering who plays Joker in DC movies from here out.

4. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Terrific, creepy performance by Phoenix. Not your typical cartoon movie.

5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I read someplace that this film was originally about a psychotic clown with no comic book tie at all, but they realized they could quadruple the box office if they contrived a Batman tie-in so they added that angle after a lot of the film was in the can. The opening weekend returns say that was an accurate prediction.

6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

That's not correct. The script was written for this film and is inspired by Batman: The Killing Joke, one of the most critically acclaimed graphic novels ever written. However, it was intended to be a character study of the Joker and not a canonical representation of a batman story.

DYohn likes this.
  7. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

As delivered.

8. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Good to know, thanks.

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

It's "King of Comedy"/"Taxi Driver" grafted onto a comic book villain made by someone with a significantly lower cinema IQ. That about sum it up?

10. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

My son and I are going to see this today.