Lawn care doing it right

Discussion in 'DIY' started by pillatier, Aug 21, 2018.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Lawn-Care Timeline

I personally go the minimalist route. Fall fertilizer if needed aeration, mid winter granular dolomitic lime if needed (when pH is close to 5.5), early spring weed and feed. Spot weeding other times. Why mid winter? Where I am it's more likely to snow 4 to 6 inches at a time. Snow slowly dissolves the granular lime for best neutralization deeper down.

2. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

We hired a lawn service years ago and I let them handle all the lawn feeding needs. Sounds like you follow same schedule as my service pretty much. Winter one is sort of a pain because we rarely have snow and it's not practical to run a sprinkler in near freezing temps. So when I see them coming, I cross fingers they time it for rainy weather.

3. pillatier

Lawn care companies where I am does 5 treatments - resulting in run off and polluting the watershed areas.

4. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

So your 3 times a year method is 100% safer than say a 5 time plan? That doesn't make much sense.

5. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I have two HOAs where I live. One is for the main development, the community pool/clubhouse/main gate and lawn care on common grounds. The other is for the sub-development (which has about 74 lots with just a few left) mainly for lawn and sprinkler maintenance (and its separate gate). They trim and check (every few months) fertilize and if there is a problem (e.g. fungus) you just submit a work order. I trim some things at the edge of my property (e.g. wooded preserve hanging over the line). Pretty much all I do is put down mulch and power wash the front and back pavers once a year. When I was younger, I did enjoy taking care of things more (at one place I had a mom and pop lawn supply place that would send you postcards on what is due and if there was an issue would take a ride by and tell you what to buy.
    backyard.jpg

6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

If you are applying the CORRECT dosage, there should be less run off by spreading it out over 5 treatments.

Brandth likes this.
  7. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I do my lawn care 100% on my own. Installed sprinkler, use robotic lawn mower, fertilize, spot weed, lime etc. It takes a bit of time but not so much that I would pay someone else to do it. Buying fertilizer and lime etc. on sale makes the cost not too bad. I mulch the beds, trim the hedge etc. on my own. My lawn isn't so clos to the lake that stuff runs directly in, but I do exercise caution.

I may be a bit of a lawn fanatic, but no one with a local service, has a better lawn than me in my area. My parents one subdivision away (my old street) use a service and as far as I am concerned their lawn is an atrocity.

Timing is key and nipping things in the bud. I think this is all that separates me from a scheduled service, I am not better at lawn care than the pros, but I see my lawn every day.

8. Chris Slade

Should also add that I think the robo mower makes a big difference. My lawn is mowed almost every day, it doesn't ever get high and then mowed down. This seems to really help the lawn stay green and thick, basically no room for weeds.

9. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I haven't owned a mower since I left California... and the only lawn care I pay for is annual palm tree trimming. :)

10. Chris Slade

Yeah I can't see your yard need much grass care. It's all very different depending on where you live. Different grasses are used for lawns in different climates. Different mowing heights, different growing seasons, different soil PH it is all pretty different based on geography. Also the chemicals used are different based on local laws. Basically nothing that is useful is legal where I live. You can still get it, if you order it from out of province (for now), but it isn't legal to spray it. Even lawn care companies can't use the good stuff around here.

Based on the quality of my lawn most people would suspect that I used banned chemicals. Luckily you can't see any of my lawn from the street.

One of the best fertilizers and used by many people in the U.S. is Milorganite, can be bought at Home Depot. It is basically processed bio-solids as far as I know. That stuff is not legal in Canada.

11. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Recent landscaping at my new home now includes two small areas of grass, probably about 5,000 sq ft. Too small for a service, so I bought an EGO 56V battery-powered mower this summer. I love this thing. Same size as a gas mower but pretty quiet, has plenty of grunt and fills the grass catcher with ease. Also picked up a matching string trimmer. I'm done in 30 minutes.

Will also be applying my own fertilizer using a hand-held spreader.

12. Chris Slade

Yeah to be clear I am probably only looking after 5000/6000feet. My lot is mostly wooded. I don't want anymore grass than that. And trying to grow grass where it doesn't want to grow is foolish. I let the lawn tell me where the grass should be.

13. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

My lot is small but I have a service simply due to my asthma. Mowing my own lawn will knock me out for days. I'll barely be able to climb the stairs in my house without sucking wind because it completely inflames my bronchi. My daily inhaler will get the inflammation down over the course of a week, just in time for me to mow again. I'm not complaining too bad. I don't really like mowing. My problem is I have really struggled to find a lawn company that doesn't suck. I'm on my third one and I'm thinking about letting them go this winter. They completely blew the timing of chemical application this year. My yard is COVERED in crabgrass and spurge. It looks like shit. And like the last two companies, they repeatedly scalp the areas they hit with the string trimmer which kills the turf from burnout and encourages weed growth in those areas.

I could probably take over the chemicals myself as walking a broadcast spreader across the lawn a couple times per season won't kill my asthma but if my mowing service continues to kill my grass off with lazy practices that won't help.

14. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I've tried growing grass multiple times and have given up.

Going for the desert look with patches of fake grass for accent - :)

DYohn likes this.
  15. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

patches of fake grass is actually good looking and clever.
    Bordered by nice low maintenance Perennial plants/ shrubs,
    it'll look very nice

I know you're quite handy and knowledgeable, but you can buy below the surface
    watering mats....which provide adequate moisture for grass without wasted water.

16. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Decorative gravel is your friend.

17. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I grew up pushing a fuckin' lawnmower and learned to hate it. So now that I live in the woods, I just let the ground moss cover all the open spaces and leave native vegetation on the rest. Pretty much zero maintenance save for maybe twice a year hitting it with a string trimmer.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  18. pillatier

Most don't and they also don't care when to apply. I have seen them apply immediately before heavy rains. Since they all price their product by number of application they have no incentive to do it right.

19. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

I just call the guy. I did it for years and just got tired of spending half of my Saturday cutting grass, mulching, tree trimming, fertilizing, etc. My guy is cheap and does a great job with the trimming. He is not as reliable as i would like but a lot of that has to do with being a two man operation.

20. Chris Slade

CJ, I think you kind of poo pooed this idea before, but an automower might be a good fit for you. An afternoon of installation and then you do nothing for the rest of the season. (I mean zero). You could do your own spraying, and your lawn would improve.

A lot of crab crass is a problem. It takes years to get rid of that (my understanding). It dies every year and half the seeds grow the next season, and half the season after that. So it takes a few years to eliminate it if it goes to seed, it is a long road to recovery. If you did the research and did some heavy corn gluten applications (timing would be critical) you might get it under control).