Moon (2009) movie review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

91ENujlWtdL._SY550_.jpg

I few weeks back I stumbled across a list something like, "The most underrated sci-fi movies of the last decade" or something to that effect. I had seen and enjoyed a few of the entries and added several of them to my Netflix queue. One of them was the 2009 film Moon, staring Sam Rockwell. Moon scored an 89% on Rotten Tomatoes on both the critic and audience scoring. However, the movie pulled in a paltry $10M at the global box office per Box Office Mojo.

The premise of the film is simple but some suspension of disbelief is required. Rockwell plays an astronaut / moon radiation energy farmer (also named Sam). He is finishing up a three year solo stint in this job. Why sending a person to the moon alone was the logical setup for this energy harvesting scheme is the film's largest problem, but it is arguably no more problematic than why the eagles couldn't have flown the one ring into Mordor and and destroyed it, saving us 9+ hours of extended edition cinema. Especially since there is an eagles ex machina in almost every film in the series. Because... shut up.

We see that Sam may be starting to go a bit insane after all the years of isolation. He can't even get a live connection back to earth due to some radio equipment failures that will be serviced when his replacement arrives. But quickly we start to see that something more than meets the eye is going on. Its not difficult to spot that there will be a twist at some point, but figuring out what it will be is the fun of the film.

I would classify the movie as sci-fi suspense. It is not scary, but there is some mystery and plot twists. I personally have mixed feelings about Rockwell. I think he's a great character actor but I appreciate him in small doses. That said, I think he did good in this role. But I wonder if they had cast an A-list actor if this could have been much more financially successful.

I highly recommend this film if you're a fan of the genre. Its a little quirky and off the beaten path so if you loathe the trend of big budget Hollywood hollowness, give this one a chance. Solid 8/10 for me.

2. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

Best sets in a space film ever. Just sayin'.

3. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Very interesting film, and kind of creepy when it comes down to it...

4. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Saw it a few years back and liked it very much as well.

5. Barry_NJ

Asks a question similar to Blade Runner... What is the value of man made life?

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Ok I was sure there was an old thread on this movie, but it is great.

oddly the director says his movies are all set in the same universe so there are Easter eggs between them.

7. Barry_NJ