My front deck project

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Chris Slade, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

This is obviously still in progress. Framing is basically done. Composite material will be ordered today, a week or two out. Then decking goes on, railing next, then whatever I think needs to be done on the sides to make it look good, which will include new shrubs.

new deck.jpg

Brandth likes this.
  2. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I'm surprised you don't have a post in the middle of that. I'm guessing it's over engineered for that type of span but it would make me nervous. How deep is the frost line up there?

3. Chris Slade

Frost line is 4 feet, digging for the sonotubes sucked pretty bad. Guess where all of the off cuts for the stone on the front of the house are buried. Decks on homes built buy builders have 2 post like this for spans up to around 10 feet wide. This is 9 feet and the last two post deck, which was shittly built was there since 94, and had no concrete, just posted sunk into the ground.... they were totally rotten. A third post may well have been a good idea. The deck is 9 wide and comes out from the house right around 5 feet.

4. Chris Slade

I could easily brace the center of the span with 45 degree cut boards out to the posts.....

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm really curious what my deck people find when they tear ours off. If my deck has footings they are completely below the soil level. How is that possible? I can't believe just setting the timbers directly in the dirt isn't a code violation but there is no concrete above ground.

6. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Common here where they just drill the hole for the posts, set the post plumb and fill in around with fence post concrete and then just wet it and let it set up. Can't even tell there is cement in there after the soil covers it up.

I would think that anything structural would need a footer especially one that supported people.

7. Chris Slade

What Mike said is/was common here. But no so much anymore. In our climate the moisture in the concrete rots out the post in the concrete and the post breaks off right above the concrete. So my posts are sitting in saddles that have rebar set in the concrete and holds the post in place with no post actually touching the concrete. Also having the concrete top under grade is a no no for the same reason. Would be totally different where Mike lives.

CJ if I had to guess I would say your foundation is possibly extended out to where the post sits or at least the footings are. And you deck is sitting on those footings. The front deck of my last place was done like that, the back deck was done as I have done above. My footings do not extend out as I mentioned. My house is also built on sold rock... I am not exaggerating, massive blasting and rock breaking was required when this place was built. I have a rock in my back yard is big as a small car.

8. Chris Slade

Looked at your pictures CJ, I don't think your footings are extended. I would expect code would require those posts to be on sonotubes extended down below the frost line. I suspect that is what will be found and final grading etc. ended up covering all of that over.

9. CJ

My guess is there are buried footings. This was 13 years ago. Who knows how they'll do the new footings. They'll follow code and the entire deck has a 30 year warranty. We'll be gone in 10.

10. Mike B

Downsizing after the girls go off to school?

11. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

You can't bury footings in KS anymore but it used to be pretty common. Now, it should look just like Chris's setup down here. Except with a post in the middle probably. :D

12. Chris Slade

I went to order my decking yesterday. The color I was going to order is not available anymore. This is good and bad, not going to have the look we were going for, but I'll save $1000 using the same color I used last time, I over ordered and have some material left.

Jeff I can't really put another post in and get below the frost line now, so a post above the line would be worse. I will add additional support of the existing posts and possibly the foundation.... damn you and your common sense.

13. Mike B

A couple of 45 degree struts should work fine. Run a cross brace so they don't spread.

14. Chris Slade

That is pretty much the plan.

15. Chris Slade

Project is going to hell. Zuri is no longer available in the color we wanted. Fine I switch to the color I have some of already and save some money, I place the order today. Then they call and say that they want to sell me the boards in a grooved profile instead of the square profile I have. This pisses me off. I could switch to Trex Transcend, they have nice looking stuff. They don't however have an L- shaped or angle finishing piece. They just frame out the outline with a regular board turn 90 degrees to the deck boards. That doesn't look as good, and I am not framed out for that to really work.

16. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Ugh. It’s always something.
    Two houses ago, I rented storage space just to avoid last minute out of stock snafus. It also ensured on time subcontracting.
    Good luck.

17. Mike B

How about use what you have for either the stairs or the platform and use the new stuff for the other?

18. Chris Slade

Went as I suspected, Zuri is out, moving to TREX transcend I guess.

19. CJ

Its a long story but the long and short of it is we make decent money and live in plastic cookie cutter starter home. There are literally 5 home models in our development of 200+ homes. There are 30-40 houses that started out identical other than some trim levels and siding and shingles within 5 blocks of me. My staff live in nicer homes. We tried to move 3-4 years ago but our kids didn't want to move out of the current school district. When the kids' schools are no longer in the picture, we want something a little nicer because we've already put 40% of the original purchase price in upgrades that we'll never get back. It might be smaller but probably just more just a step up. Trade in the Camry for a Lexus type of deal. Maybe sounds snotty. Oh well.

Blake likes this.
  20. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

In that case consider a custom or semi-custom home on your lot, factory built and erected on site. These are extremely well built to tight tolerances, you can even plan and build for near zero carbon footprint with full home automation.