My front deck project

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Chris Slade, Jun 25, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

We'll almost certainly go full custom on our next home and be much more selective about the lot location as well.

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Go ranch. Stairs are death on old people.

3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I am not cj. But that ain’t gonna work. I agree factory built homes are cool. An old friend purchased an acorn home for his site in Tacoma Washington. Fascinating to see it arrive on flat bed trucks. Watch as cranes erected the home. And the whole process evolve. But it ain’t “cheap” requires precision site excavation and foundations. Not to mention cj would need to demolish his recently redecorated home. Naw, he will sell it for whatever the market will bear. And move to s more temperate climate. And knowing cj, hisvfibacisl and pragmatic side will carefully weigh out the upsides and downsides to the next home purchase.

4. Carl V

And yes about the stairs. I just bought a two story home. Against my better wishes. Wife liked the home and site. Push comes to shove. The upstairs can be ignored. Which suits me just fine.

5. CJ

Yeah, our lot sucks anyway. Badly sloping in two directions, small, backs up to a very busy street. ONLY plus on the front side its the last house on a dead end. Everything else about the lot stinks.

6. Mike B

I like my busy street. I like to watch the world go by. Sit on the swing and watch all the cars heading off to wherever.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

If it is, we're snotty, too. We sure didn't need a 2500 sq.ft. house for just the 2 of us and we could have paid less in a different neighborhood. But this is what we wanted so this is what we bought.

8. CJ

I think we're talking two different things. I'm not talking an in-neighborhood busy thoroughfare. There is a borderline highway behind my house.

9. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Install home elevator. When I worked for a major Pharma in NC my VP's house had an elevator from pool level to the bedrooms on the third level. The house looked like a two story from the street.

10. Carl V

knees are fine...ankles too....SO FAR.
    it's the annoyance of going up & down.
    It's the rising Warm Air which makes it
    an AC black hole.

11. Mike B

Mine is a 5 lane with a 40 MPH speed limit.

12. CJ

Dislike. Different strokes I guess. I hate it. Its noisy.

Brandth likes this.
  13. Carl V

one of my pet peeves...traffic Noise.
    Present house has a 4 lane expressway 200+ yards
    away...open green space... Wet Land/wildlife/habitat in between, but still
    audible. Lovely view ... wishing we all had Electric cars.

14. Mike B

Ah yes the view. That is the main reason I'm staying here is my little cookie cutter Kaufman & Broad tract house, the view. The cemetery and the storm water basin insure that it will never change, something that is always in question here in the land of fast development.

15. pillatier

I hate traffic noise - I found my current neighborhood and waited until just the right house for the right price became available. The development is 1.5 miles from the nearest two lane county road it gets a bit busy during rush hour, six miles from the nearest shopping, it is surrounded by preserved woods, it is quiet, except when neighbors are cutting grass or cloudy and the FAA directs departing jets from the two major airports over two established high altitude jet ways above the 'hood. The cloud really amplifies the jet noise specially if they are between cloud layers. I'd estimate the jets are at about 10,000ft.

16. pillatier

Full custom can still be factory made.

As MikeB mentioned cemetery makes for quiet neighbor. Perhaps except just for one night a year?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  17. Mike B

I only have 1 close (next door, 30 feet) neighbor which is unusual in a tract. The cemetery is not what you are used to. We have Mariachi's playing there and families have picnics gravesite. Pretty cool!

18. pillatier

So people do actually dance on people's graves? Kidding!!

In New Orleans bands play sombre tunes on the way to the cemetery and upbeat on the way back.

I have read that in India some untouchable groups actually sing and dance as they take the body to the crematory. The reason, they celebrate the release of that person from the daily indignities, hardships and abuse from the higher casts. A truly revolting repugnant practice of the higher castes that apparently still continues to this day.