Need headphones from HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by John F, Nov 9, 2019 at 6:15 PM.

1. John F

John F Active Member

I would like separate volume control for the speakers and headphone.

I think I need something that takes an HDMI connection in, and has an HDMI out/pass-through and headphone jack out (or RCA line out).

I have a Amazon Fire TV feeding HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR525 AV receiver. I'm using the Onkyo for Audio (stereo currently), and feed HDMI from the Onkyo to the TV. The TV has a headphone connection, but there is no sound. The Onkyo has line outs (and pre-outs), but the manual says no analog output if it is using a digital input. I did try hooking up a pair of headphones (I figured I would hear something), but I didn't get any sound.

I do have an old stereo receiver I could use for volume control if I needed to. I also may be able to use some cheap computer speakers. I am not looking for high fidelity for the headphones.

I was thinking that something like this could do what I needed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XJITK7E/?tag=homthelou-20

My concern is that there seems to be some limitation with the audio format going into converter, and the Onkyo manual doesn't mention any control of audio format output from the receiver.

Any ideas would be appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

As far as I know there are no headphone amplifiers with HDMI input. Your TV has a headphone out? WHat make/model?

3. DYohn

4. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

5. John F

John F Active Member

My TV is a Toshiba 50HPX95

6. John F

John F Active Member

Maybe, but I believe I need an HDMI out. My receiver has a single HDMI output, so I need to either think I need to split it (to run it to the device you linked to) or a pass through on the HDMI de-embedder.

7. John F

John F Active Member

I assume that would work, but it is a lot more than I want to spend.

I am looking for something inexpensive.

I'm not looking for high fidelity audio. Lower midfi would be fine. :)

8. John F

John F Active Member

And by inexpensive, I was hoping for < $50.

9. Phil A

The Kanex is not much more than that on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KAU0WO/?tag=homthelou-20) and my first one (probably still have it laying around was made by a company out of Hong Kong (had to get it off eBay Australia) 'Porta.' Later Monoprice sold the same thing with their logo on it (probably have it around somewhere) - 4X1 HDMI Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port

There are cheaper ones as well - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRWYN4R/?tag=homthelou-20

I believe the TV also has a toslink output and you can also get device like - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK93SLR/?tag=homthelou-20

Sometimes the TV manual may give instructions for audio settings (e.g. turning on external speakers which could make the headphone output work?) to use. It's also a question of what you want to do (e.g. use the headphones at the same time or not).

10. Phil A

Any available audio settings would start here in the manual - Chapter 4: Menu Layout And Navigation; Main Menu Layout - Toshiba 50HPX95 Owner's Manual [Page 40] and there will be other pages of interest (the manual is long) - e.g. Switching The Speaker Audio (main Or Pop); Pop Double-window Aspect Ratio - Toshiba 50HPX95 Owner's Manual [Page 82] As noted above it depends on what one wants to do. It could also involve adjusting the HDMI setting for the headphone listening to enable the toslink out with HDMI for video. You would need to read the whole manual.

11. DYohn

To use the headphone jack you must have the display built in speakers turned on, and then they will be muted when you plug in a headphone.

12. John F

John F Active Member

Thanks everyone for the help.

Fiddling with the TV settings, I was able to get audio from the headphones. The speakers were on (in the settings), but the HDMI audio inputs were set to "analog" and setting them to "auto" enabled sound from the speakers/headphones.

Again, thanks for the help.