Network device help (streamer I guess).

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Chris Slade, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

In my house I have orbi mesh, it works well. From that I have a Trendnet device that extends wireless down to another trendnet device at my boat house. And I believe all of that is working well.....

From that trendnet a network cable goes to an airport express. audio outputs from airport express go to a cheap russound 2 channel amp running some speakers on the outside of the boathouse.

Airport express is totally unreliable. I would like to replace it with a device that can do the same thing, but bluetooth, might not be ideal as sometimes we are a good distance from the device when using spotify.
    So really I want the device to be a streamer and to broadcast my wifi network down there for everyone to use.

If it is a two device solution I am also fine with that, I just want it to work. I basically have just over two weeks to get this all working reliably.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

3. Chris Slade

Yeap that looks exactly like what I need. Looks like I can send music to in thru Bluetooth or WIFI. Never heard of this device and it does not look to be available locally, but I am open to ordering from amazon.

4. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Can you explain the bottom network better? Do you just have a bridge down to your boathouse and no actual wifi signal? I don''t know what an Airport express does exactly. Is it a router or is it a wifi access point?

5. Chris Slade

Funny that there are multi room features that seen to be available in the U.S. but not Canada. That does not apply to my use.

6. CJ

It's a super low end router / network extender / music streamer / AirPlay endpoint. They are very small, under-powered, network access points really designed to be used in a situation where you have a strong signal. Part of the issue is also that its a discontinued, unsupported product at this point. Apple makes no networking equipment any longer.

Hell Chris, in typing that out I just realized I had the same issue which is ultimately what drove me to the Blue Node. Get one of those. They're super robust, support wi-fi and wired connections, support all kinds of streaming services, can be "cast to" or use their own app, etc.

7. Chris Slade

Pricey, but it certainly looks to solve the problem.

8. Chris Slade

Looks like the Echo Link is only part of the solution I still need to broadcast my network down here.

9. CJ

I guess I'm confused as well then. It sounded like the Trendnet devices were taking your house network and broadcasting it to the boathouse. I was operating under the assumption you had a clean network signal at the boathouse and needed a better streaming device.

10. Chris Slade

The trend net is wired to my network at the house. Transmits to the other end at the lake (only to itself), then it is plugged into the airport express to broadcast the wifi network, and I airplay to it as well. So I need an extender I guess to broadcast my wifi signal and something to stream to....

Does this make sense.

11. JeffC

Can you just use a wifi AP down there or does it need to route or NAT? If you want to post a link to your bridge devices, we can take a look. I'm sure most of us have tried various solutions. I know I have in my remote metal building.

12. Chris Slade

I will take pics this evening, I just need an AP and I want to send spotify to an amp. That is it in a nutshell.

13. Chris Slade

Jeff you actually turned me on to the trendnet thing I bought it on your recommendation, and it did solve the issue. I think the airport express is just too shitty.

14. JeffC

Well, then it's probably at least medium quality. That's my sweet spot. :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

15. JeffC

Well, to do this well you probably do need two devices. One to give you a wifi/wired signal, and one to connect to it and stream.

Does airport make a better model that you can use?

16. Chris Slade

So let's simply, can I just by a decent router to plug into the trendnet and give me pretty solid wifi down there? I actually think an additional orbi unit would do this, but this is not readily available.

17. JeffC

Probably. I have a wireless bridge as well and I use this $30 fella in my metal building.

18. Chris Slade

I think something like that works, and I connect the steamer to that (wired) and then use those audio outputs (on streamer) to the amp.
    for that matter maybe I put this on and connect the express to it....

19. jasn

jasn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Chris, when you say the AP Express is unreliable, do you mean spotty connectivity issues? My experience with a robust, three device Orbi mesh running iTunes and Airplay 2 from my wifi laptop is frustrating, to say the least, and not always related to one issue. The router, laptop connection, wifi speakers or iTunes itself all provide a well-balanced set of headaches weekly that are best corrected just by rebooting one of them (usually the last device of the four :angry:). IOW, network streaming still has a ways to go to provide a care-free experience. I have resigned to save my $$ looking for a perfect union and deal with the annoyances as they develop.

20. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

I used to extend my coverage with one of those TP-Link routers, configured to just be an access point. Seems like that’s all you need to get the signal down there.