New Bronco

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by JeffC, Jul 14, 2020.

1. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I'm not much of a Ford guy, but this new Bronco is pretty fantastic looking. They did a much better job than Chevy did with the Blazer.

Jack likes this.
  2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I watched the reveal on youtube last night. Not my cup of tea but the three models showcased really excited potential buyers and critics.

I'm curious as to whether or not Ford or GM will produce anything that will compete with the new Dodge Durango Lineup. Then again, the Durango Hellcat will only be in production for one year so money for research alone would probably be thrown out the window.

An LT2 V8 in a Blazer or Traverse
    A Coyote Engine in a Ford Explorer

Now I see that Jeep put a Hemi in a Wrangler.

Very Niche products but exciting to see.

3. JeffC

Nobody really competed with the SRT10 truck. I actually saw one yesterday. What a beast.

But I've heard rumors of of a LSA 6.2L supercharged LS in the trucks. I'm looking for a take off supercharger now for my Tahoe 5.3 liter.

It's a good time to be a horsepower fan. All the big makers are doing some amazing things with the specialty cars.

4. Jay Brown

I think the Bronco Sport may be the Darling of the new lineup, but now I'm having to learn about the variations of the three main models. Badlands, Black Diamond, Wild Trak. 4-Doors and some models under 30 Grand.

5. JeffC

Maybe they'll have some kind of event here and town and we'll get to see them. I usually check out all the new cars at the state fair, but they cancelled it this year (and I'm glad they did). Are you thinking about trading off the Camaro?

6. Jay Brown

Maybe next year after finding out the trade-in value was higher than I expected on the Camaro, but I wouldn't be looking at the Bronco.

A Durango SXT or RT possibly, as the Durango is really the only SUV that I like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Two vastly different vehicles of course. This directly targets Jeep... Cherokee and Wrangler depending on model/specs, vs. the Blazer is just a compact crossover. Not sure why Chevy decided to waste the name on that vehicle. Could have called it the Chevy Storm or anything else.

I'm happy to see a smaller truck based SUV as an option on the market. If you want to go off road and don't want a pickup, you basically choose a Wrangler or a 4Runner. Those are your only options.

8. Jay Brown

I'm wondering if the variety of Ford models will be mainly focused towards the Jeep Cherokee, Compass, and Renegade. You might as well omit GM out of the equation, as I do not see any Chevy/GMC vehicles being marketed in the same manner as the Jeep and Ford vehicles.

((repeating what CJ already posted))

9. JeffC

Yea, Chevy really shit the bed with the Blazer progression. It went from a Bronco competitor to a Bronco II competitor to now a Ford Explorer competitor. I really thought the FJ cruiser would have brought this market back, but maybe it's a stinker? I know Ford and Chevy both live off the truck platform, but on the Chevy side, cars aren't selling. The Camaro really isn't selling and it's a pretty solid car if you like Chevrolet.

I like this Bronco a lot. Hopefully I can see one in person when they start arriving.

10. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

It enjoys cult status and since it was discontinued, used ones go for big bucks relative to new price and relative to similar age and conditioned vehicles. My gut is it just kind of came out at the wrong time. Overlanding lifestyle is really huge right now and if you look at 4Runner sales numbers from say 2005 to today demand has increased.

One could argue that 4Runner sales is bad data because essentially every other competitor came off the market but its all we've got. Chevy and Ford removed small and midsize BOF SUVs, Nissan killed the Xterra and made the Pathfinder into a mini-van, etc. You either pick a 4Runner for reliability and durability or you pick a Jeep because you want a Jeep.

FJ Cruiser was killed in 2014, right at the time of the recovery in 4Runner sales. I wonder they held off until 2016 if it would still be in production.

US 4Runner Sales
    Year sold
    2005 103,830
    2006 103,086
    2007 87,718
    2008 47,878
    2009 19,675
    2010 46,531
    2011 44,316
    2012 48,753
    2013 48,735
    2014 77,006
    2015 97,034
    2016 111,952
    2017 128,296
    2018 139,694
    2019 131,864
    2020 57,428

US Wrangler Sales
    upload_2020-7-14_12-8-55.png

11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Nissan is replatforming their mid truck, could be interesting. Ford is also releasing a mid version of the raptor.

12. Jay Brown

The 2019 refresh of the Camaro put off a lot of people. If you look at the 2019 and 2020 SS Models, it's really a front-end paint job that will fix the '19 models. Look at a Black 2019 SS and you'll see what I mean.

The LT1 model, which is a V8 in and LT Body, is an enticing model and I'm glad they put something like this out on the market, but Mopar with its various packages for their Charger and Challengers, plus a huge Ford Mustang Following, it's making it very difficult for Chevrolet to succeed in this segment.

13. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Bronze Member Donor

Thirty Grand for the base model? Thanks but I'll keep my FJ40.

14. JeffC

Seven speed manual sounds pretty cool but the price is steep. My wife picked one in Area 51 green and it's over 50. Same as a truck basically.

I wonder how long before someone throws a coyote engine in one. That would be amazing.

Jay Brown likes this.
  15. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I like it.

16. carlthess50

carlthess50 Member

I’ve owned almost every model of a bronco
    This one is the ugliest I’ve seen. But the tech is crazy good and the eco-boost is a really nice option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. JeffC

What dont you like? I'm not bananas about the four door, but its probably what I'd buy.

18. Chris Slade

Exactly Jeff. But you'd never buy a Ford.

JeffC likes this.
  19. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Hey they got Jeep to announce a 6.2 hemi Jeep. ;)

20. Chris Slade

I currently own two 6.2L V-8 vehicles. No damn way would I be buying a third. Hell no.