No Direction Home

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DYohn, May 8, 2020.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Last night we watched the Martin Scorsese documentary on Bob Dylan "No Direction Home." I am a Dylan fan, but this thing really tried my patience. At 3 and a half hours long it shows once again that Marty needs to remember how to edit. More is not always better. The film deals only with the early part of Dylan's life, from his emergence on the folk scene through his electric tours with Mike Bloomfield and then with The Hawks in 1965/66. The detail is excruciating and repetitive and non-linear in time. The music is sometimes good but mostly bad since the sound quality on most of these early live recordings in not great, and the db level of the music is 3X that of the dialog. If this had tried to tell Dylan's whole history I suppose it would have been 24 hours long. A good flashback if you are a fan or if you either remember the early 60's or want to learn about them, but bring your patience. WAYYY over done and long.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Sorry to hear. Maybe a part one and part two. Like early years then electric years.
    And oddly enough the same woman has done 100% Of Marty’s film editing. Maybe she stepped aside for the documentary.